The Student Room Group

Student Bank accounts

Hi
Tltr; Do banks know what Uni you go to?
When you go to the bank can the teller or personal adviser see what University you go to once you’ve set up a student account or do you need to take proof with you every-time you see them.
Also why do you need to take a letter, doesn’t the code you give them verify your identity.
Original post by Helpmethisisre
Hi
When you go to the bank can the teller or personal adviser see what University you go to once you’ve set up a student account or do you need to take proof with you every-time you see them.
Also why do you need to take a letter, doesn’t the code you give them verify your identity.

they'll just need the proof once when you sign up for your account
Hi

Banks are getting far more strict as there is far more fraud going on the banks know most thinks about us its called joined up thinking even when you go from your home town to an out of town university the local police get a list of all students its a safety thing in case any student goes missing the police can call your bank if you went missing and ask the bank when a person last took out money from there account and where it was and at what time every time you take money out of your bank account at the cash machine the cash machine takes a picture of you yes everytime same when you go in the bank as they have CCTV working 24 hours every day
So can the teller or personal advisor not see see what uni people go to? Isn’t it on the account. The bank I’m with keeps asking me to take letters
Reply 4
So can the teller or personal advisor not see see what uni people go to? Isn’t it on the account. The bank I’m with keeps asking me to take letters

You should be able to get a letter from your university confirming that you're studying programme X with a start date of Y and an expected end date of Z. This is the sort of thing that they'll issue routinely, just tell them your bank is asking for confirmation of your student status.

Take the letter to the bank. They'll probably do one of three things: (1) take the letter for their records; (2) take a copy of the letter for their records, and return the original to you; (3) look at the letter and update their computer system to say that they've seen it, and return the letter to you.

Once they've updated their records, I think it's unlikely to ask you to do this again -- and if they do keep asking after they've seen it then I think that would be grounds for complaint.

If they want proof of your student status and you don't provide it, then ultimately they might change your student account to a normal current account, or close it completely.

It's quite possible that your bank has a record of what university you're studying at if you have a student account. I don't think it's an unreasonable question for them to ask. If you want to know if the teller/adviser can see that, then just ask them! (Maybe it says "University of Wherever (confirmation required)" and that's why they're asking you for a letter.)
Oh I have already confirmed my account. But when I go to the teller for anything, atm doesn’t work in my area, they always ask for proof. I’ve had the account for 6 months now.
Reply 6
Oh I have already confirmed my account. But when I go to the teller for anything, atm doesn’t work in my area, they always ask for proof. I’ve had the account for 6 months now.

How did you confirm your account originally? If you've had the account for 6 months, then maybe they need confirmation that you're still a student.

If their system is telling them that they need you to bring a letter, then they'll keep asking you to bring a letter until you do that.

You can always ask why they need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending