The Student Room Group

Can a school stay open if there is no free drinking water during the pandemic?

All of the water fountains are shut off in my school due to the pandemic. The only access to water we have is to buy it at lunch. I thought this was illegal. Should my school be closed/ supplying us with alternative sources of water such as bottles of water for free?

Scroll to see replies

Yes they should stay open.
Reply 2
I'm kt sure that's illegal, they haven't banned water just using the fountains. You can take a bottle of tap water from home with you. It's only about 8 hours, a bottle can last that long easily, you don't drink while sleeping do you?
Reply 3
Original post by ANNIHILATION2004
I thought this was illegal.

Don't think. Prove it. Do the research.

Should my school be closed/ supplying us with alternative sources of water such as bottles of water for free?

No.
Reply 4
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-39881236

If they are selling bottles then it seems they are fine to stay open. I doubt there are sources saying it's illegal.
(edited 3 years ago)
This is exactly the same as my school. Don't sweat it, just take your own water
Original post by Drewski
Don't think. Prove it. Do the research.

Article 11 of the Covenant on the social, economic and cultural rights. All countries that accepted this law must give their citizens access to a free clean source of water at all times. Recognised by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland when this law was passed, all British subjects under her majesty the Queen, must have access to a clean free source of water at all times. I can ONLY get water if I pay for it
Reply 7
Article 11 of the Covenant on the social, economic and cultural rights. All countries that accepted this law must give their citizens access to a free clean source of water at all times. Recognised by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland when this law was passed, all British subjects under her majesty the Queen, must have access to a clean free source of water at all times. I can ONLY get water if I pay for it

Is a water fountain the only option you have for filling a bottle...?
Yes, there is no other access to water including refilling other than buying a bottle of water or using a water fountain
All of the water fountains are shut off in my school due to the pandemic. The only access to water we have is to buy it at lunch. I thought this was illegal. Should my school be closed/ supplying us with alternative sources of water such as bottles of water for free?

Even if you're technically correct, maybe a little bit of cooperation on your part during a difficult time would be really helpful. Giving away bottled water and adding to the amount of single use plastic is really silly. Take on some responsibility, carry water with you.
Yes, there is no other access to water including refilling other than buying a bottle of water or using a water fountain

What about taps?
Original post by wastedcuriosity
What about taps?

If the only accessible taps are in loo washrooms these are often marked 'unsafe for drinking' due to hot water storage methods.
Legally they must provide a "suitable" source of drinking water, I would argue that having to pay is not suitable since it would mean children who cannot afford water will not be able to drink water.

Further to this if you can only access the water at lunch then it would not be readily accessible at all times when the premises are open. And the facility must be separate from the toilet facilities.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/1943/made
(edited 3 years ago)
I have been keeping water on me, but I'm more worried about the kids that don't or can't afford it. I'm a prefect so it's my job to look out for others.
I have been keeping water on me, but I'm more worried about the kids that don't or can't afford it. I'm a prefect so it's my job to look out for others.

isn't the prefects job just to open doors and be the one to represent the school when they win trophys and that?

my school would turn off the water fountains every winter so the water in the pipes didn't freeze up :lol:

that was annoying. you can probably ask the reception to fill up your water? :smile:
Original post by 2_versions
isn't the prefects job just to open doors and be the one to represent the school when they win trophys and that?

no. as far as j am aware we are supposed to help other kids with bullying, school issues etc, and to be a student to heads of department/school pathway - suggest things that students want changing

Glad to hear you're showing concern for others in your school. And with your priveledged position you can open negotiation with school management as to a satisfactory outcome. But perhaps best to hold back on the antagonistic legal hammer until you've tried a more subtle approach.
I swear people will start to throw legality and lawsuits around over anything these days to the point of it being frivolous.

While clean drinking water availability might be important and legally required by some law (etc) out there, I'm not sure getting worked up over public water fountains in school being shut off is anything worth talking about, never mind demanding free bottled water or school closure. Their budgets are thin enough as they are.

My school(s) didn't even have water fountains or alternative provision: we just filled up a cheap PET with tap water at home + took it in with us. Heck, I don't even have "safe" drinking water in my own home: I buy bottled water. Why? Because the pipes are made of lead and have levels far above the legal limit. I might not be able to afford replacing them, and the council can't do it, but I'm quite sure no legal avenues exist for me to have the entire flat stripped and redone for the plumbing :_;
Original post by Callicious
My school(s) didn't even have water fountains or alternative provision: we just filled up a cheap PET with tap water at home + took it in with us. Heck, I don't even have "safe" drinking water in my own home: I buy bottled water. Why? Because the pipes are made of lead and have levels far above the legal limit. I might not be able to afford replacing them, and the council can't do it, but I'm quite sure no legal avenues exist for me to have the entire flat stripped and redone for the plumbing :_;

Do you own your flat?

Quick Reply