The Student Room Group

am I entitled to Iraqi citizenship

my mother's mother is Iraqi, so my mother had citizenship before she renounced it to keep her father's Kuwaiti one which she has now renounced too, but does this mean that I get Iraqi citizenship as being quarter Iraqi as my grandma on my mother's side is full Iraqi?

Scroll to see replies

why would you want Iraqi citizenship?
Original post by Anonymous

why wouldn't I? I'm entitled to it.
Apparently not. You need an Iraqi parent or to have been born in Iraq.
Original post by Theloniouss
Apparently not. You need an Iraqi parent or to have been born in Iraq.

that's what I mean, doesn't it mean that my mother is Iraqi?
Original post by honeybuns2k5
that's what I mean, doesn't it mean that my mother is Iraqi?

If she renounced her citizenship and was not born in Iraq, almost certainly not
Original post by Anonymous

To flee the US for one thing.
Original post by MarkCollett
To flee the US for one thing.

not in the us lol but true, it's more of a personal thing, I want to find out about my identity, I've never known about it until now
not in the us lol but true, it's more of a personal thing, I want to find out about my identity, I've never known about it until now

where do u live and whats ur ethnicity
is your mother able to renaturalise? Did she renounce before you were born?
Original post by Lilymae69
where do u live and whats ur ethnicity

UK and I am half Welsh quarter Kuwaiti quarter Iraqi
UK and I am half Welsh quarter Kuwaiti quarter Iraqi

why did ur mum renounce it
why did ur mum renounce it

BC to get Kuwaiti citizenship after age 21 u have to renounce any others so had to renounce Iraqi, and then to live in UK with my Welsh dad she had to get UK citizenship so had to get rid of Kuwaiti one as dual citizenship isn't allowed in Kuwait, it is in Iraq tho
(edited 3 years ago)
BC to get Kuwaiti citizenship after age 21 u have to renounce any others so had to renounce Iraqi, and then to live in UK with my Welsh dad she had to get UK citizenship so had to get rid of Kuwaiti one as dual citizenship isn't allowed in Kuwait, it is in Iraq tho

She shouldve kept the iraqi one then. tell her to try getting the iraqi citizenship back then get it after her

can u speak arabic
She shouldve kept the iraqi one then. tell her to try getting the iraqi citizenship back then get it after her

oh that's true
can u speak arabic

yeah a bit!! I taught myself some of the religious things even tho I am not Muslim, I can only understand/speak the ones like insha'Allah, bismillah, shukran, etc
yeah a bit!! I taught myself some of the religious things even tho I am not Muslim, I can only understand/speak the ones like insha'Allah, bismillah, shukran, etc

ohh ok cool!
ohh ok cool!

lol I'm not even 15 yet, I've only been teaching myself this year, my mother never taught me as she works all the time :frown:
Original post by Vapordave
is your mother able to renaturalise? Did she renounce before you were born?

hey not really and yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending