The Student Room Group

Msc Nursing and health care experience

What was your previous degree and did you have care work experience when you got accepted?

Also what age did you decide you wanted a career change?
Reply 1
I'd done BA(hons) German & History, then spent 2.5 years as a HCA hust as a job I fell in to. I finished work there aged 25 to do my nursing degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_B
I'd done BA(hons) German & History, then spent 2.5 years as a HCA hust as a job I fell in to. I finished work there aged 25 to do my nursing degree.

Oh wow that’s awesome! Were other people in your class health care assistants too? Or were there others who didn’t have any experience?
Original post by LilMonster
What was your previous degree and did you have care work experience when you got accepted?

Also what age did you decide you wanted a career change?

hahaha.. this makes me nervous really because I dont have any experience lol. I am starting my nursing degree (first year) in just < a week! I did write on my personal statement that I was about to start volunteering in a hopspital before COVID interrupted it. I've often wondered if they accepted me due to the fact that I would've had experience and its not actually my fault. However, a lot of people coming onto my course seem to have experience as Health Care Assistants (I can see from creepy facebook stalking. Yes I'm ashamed lol). Anyways, I have almost no experience basically. I did GCSEs, then A levels, then a crappy art foundation course which was more or less a gap year. Aside from work experience, I've never worked a day in my life :')

Perhaps they made a mistake when they accepted me? LOL. Anyways, I am going to push through and muster some confidence to really get out there and make the most out of nursing placements etc. Woo, lets do this! lol
Reply 4
Original post by nursingstudentuk
hahaha.. this makes me nervous really because I dont have any experience lol. I am starting my nursing degree (first year) in just < a week! I did write on my personal statement that I was about to start volunteering in a hopspital before COVID interrupted it. I've often wondered if they accepted me due to the fact that I would've had experience and its not actually my fault. However, a lot of people coming onto my course seem to have experience as Health Care Assistants (I can see from creepy facebook stalking. Yes I'm ashamed lol). Anyways, I have almost no experience basically. I did GCSEs, then A levels, then a crappy art foundation course which was more or less a gap year. Aside from work experience, I've never worked a day in my life :')

Perhaps they made a mistake when they accepted me? LOL. Anyways, I am going to push through and muster some confidence to really get out there and make the most out of nursing placements etc. Woo, lets do this! lol

You don't need to have previous experience. Your placements will ensure you have all the needed skills. So don't worry about that.
Original post by amcb1
You don't need to have previous experience. Your placements will ensure you have all the needed skills. So don't worry about that.

ah thank you, I hope so. It's great to hear that haha
Reply 6

Oh wow lucky! I kinda just decided to apply recently but it’s too late now so I’m gonna use the next year to get some experience haha
Oh wow lucky! I kinda just decided to apply recently but it’s too late now so I’m gonna use the next year to get some experience haha

Is it too late to apply through clearing? Just wondering, because while I didnt apply through clearing, I technically did apply past the official 'we-will-definitely-look-at-your-application' date and I got in anyway? :s-smilie: worth a shot sometimes lol
Started nursing degree at 17, qualified at 20 , been doing it for about 10 years now,
I started the 20 months shortened top-up degree course for midwifing in September 2018, got interrupted on last university block in April due to covid19 as everything was suspended and recently told I passed it , went back on frontline nursing dealing with covid19 patients in April, and I'm currently back now on ward as adult nurse.
Attending MSc Adult Nursing: I received a 3rd in Psychology, then needed to take a break from education to care for my Gran. I've worked in care since leaving school - literally the next day lol - but I know people in my class who have no experience whatsoever xx
Original post by KimboBoyce
Attending MSc Adult Nursing: I received a 3rd in Psychology, then needed to take a break from education to care for my Gran. I've worked in care since leaving school - literally the next day lol - but I know people in my class who have no experience whatsoever xx

Oh wow! What kind of care work did u do? I’m planning on doing some to get experience before I apply
Is it too late to apply through clearing? Just wondering, because while I didnt apply through clearing, I technically did apply past the official 'we-will-definitely-look-at-your-application' date and I got in anyway? :s-smilie: worth a shot sometimes lol

Haha the uni I wanted to go already started classes and I literally just decided I wanna do nursing the other day. I havnt done any prep whatsoever. Havnt even done a personal statement yet or asked for referees lol.
Oh wow! What kind of care work did u do? I’m planning on doing some to get experience before I apply

I started off with care of the elderly, then challenging individuals with dementia within the same home. After about 9 years I worked agency, which s a good way to get a broad experience of places, for a few years and now I work in a home for young people with physical disabilities.

My tip is start is a care home, being aware you'll need to deal with body fluids (some people didn't think they had to deal with it, which is why I'm saying...) and get comfortable with how to deal with some of the stresses of the job - time management, client difficulties, coworker problems (care is a different kettle of fish when it comes to coworkers) and gain confidence before I'd try agency work, although a lot of agencies are easier to get into. But then again care homes are always hiring xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending