The Student Room Group

College suspended my daughter, wouldn't have happened if she had her 1:1

My daughter (has asd) has been suspended from college for 2 days for refusing to work for the last 2 hours today and sitting with her head on the table for the last 2 hours . She usually has a 1:1 but the 1:1 wasn't in in the afternoon today.

Scroll to see replies

And? Would you like us to help or answer anything?
Original post by Lilymae69
And? Would you like us to help or answer anything?

No sorry, I was just ranting about it as I'm frustrated.
Original post by Amylovesholidays
No sorry, I was just ranting about it as I'm frustrated.

Well I'm sorry about that. But I mean she did refuse to work...
Well I'm sorry about that. But I mean she did refuse to work...

Fair enough, sorry
Fair enough, sorry

Its okay I understand that you as a parent might feel a little biased for your daughter
Its okay I understand that you as a parent might feel a little biased for your daughter

It's just that I know it wouldn't have happened if she had her 1:1 as per her EHCP.
It's just that I know it wouldn't have happened if she had her 1:1 as per her EHCP.

What is a 1:1?
What is a 1:1?

A teaching assistant for my daughter funded by her EHCP.
does your daughter have a disability or condition that requires her to have these 1:1 sessions
A teaching assistant for my daughter funded by her EHCP.

Oh okay
Oh okay

Yep
Original post by Ray_Shadows
does your daughter have a disability or condition that requires her to have these 1:1 sessions

It's not a session, the 1:1 is funded by her EHCP to be with my daughter all day. She has ASD (Autism).
It's not a session, the 1:1 is funded by her EHCP to be with my daughter all day. She has ASD (Autism).

why was the 1:1 cancelled , did the supervisor not make it ?
Original post by Ray_Shadows
why was the 1:1 cancelled , did the supervisor not make it ?

The 1:1 had an appointment this afternoon. My daughter is supposed to have the 1:1 all day, every day.
The 1:1 had an appointment this afternoon. My daughter is supposed to have the 1:1 all day, every day.

If the college is aware of your daughter's ASD then really they should be more understanding. Is there any chance you could ring or email them to explain the situation?
Sounds like you need to have an adult conversation with them.

and they didnt show up today because....
Original post by tiktoksensation
If the college is aware of your daughter's ASD then really they should be more understanding. Is there any chance you could ring or email them to explain the situation?

Yes they are fully aware of her ASD. I am going to ring them back tomorrow, her senior tutor rang today to say she was suspended.
My daughter (has asd) has been suspended from college for 2 days for refusing to work for the last 2 hours today and sitting with her head on the table for the last 2 hours . She usually has a 1:1 but the 1:1 wasn't in in the afternoon today.

Have you talked to the school or the SEN officer about getting it reversed?
Perhaps you need to agree what will happen in future if this repeats?
Its up to the school to make reasonable adjustments.

Try speaking to the

https://community.autism.org.uk/
https://forum.ambitiousaboutautism.org.uk/talk-about-autism
https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

Quick Reply

Latest