The Student Room Group

What is it like being tamil in the UK?

Born and raised in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Born and raised in the UK?

It's good. Being in London is great as it's really diverse so you fit in fine. However I have experienced racism in other parts of the UK and do feel uncomfortable going to places that have barely any non-white people.
Reply 2
It's good. Being in London is great as it's really diverse so you fit in fine. However I have experienced racism in other parts of the UK and do feel uncomfortable going to places that have barely any non-white people.

Oh ok the lifestyle is different isn't it compared to other parts in Europe. I went to London once and teenagers spoke slang and the girls acted different too like confident a little bit rude and hard to talk to. The guys were intimidating.
Oh ok the lifestyle is different isn't it compared to other parts in Europe. I went to London once and teenagers spoke slang and the girls acted different too like confident a little bit rude and hard to talk to. The guys were intimidating.

I get you, some people are like that, they feel a need to be "cool" but you can just avoid them. There are plenty of down to earth people so you should be fine. Although you will definitely find more friendly people in other parts of Europe.
Reply 4
I get you, some people are like that, they feel a need to be "cool" but you can just avoid them. There are plenty of down to earth people so you should be fine. Although you will definitely find more friendly people in other parts of Europe.

Were you born and raised in the UK? Where do you mingle with other tamil people?
Reply 5
I'm not Tamil but Indian and might be able to shed light on some stuff.

It's pretty much like anyone else growing up as London is a pretty cosmopolitan place compared to other parts of the UK. I went to uni just outside of London and although the uni was okay, you could tell it was a less accepting and diverse place than the main city but most people are themselves pretty chill.

The teenagers speaking slang might be chavs or just local youths and you do get the ladette type girls. Wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush though..
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Is there something specifically that you're worried about? Or just thinking you won't see enough Tamil people around?
Reply 7
Original post by Xarao
Is there something specifically that you're worried about? Or just thinking you won't see enough Tamil people around?

I want to study at a university in the uni but I'm just worried about the soical life aspect and I would be more comfortable know people from the same background as me.
Were you born and raised in the UK? Where do you mingle with other tamil people?

Yes, born and raised in London. My area has a lot of Indian/Pakistani/African/Other Asian people so you will always see Tamil people around. There are quite a few Tamil people in my school and there's quite a big Tamil community in the area.
I want to study at a university in the uni but I'm just worried about the soical life aspect and I would be more comfortable know people from the same background as me.

Which university is it, or what area is it in?
Which university is it, or what area is it in?

LSE and I have family living in Lewisham London so I will be taking public transport to uni and it's easier. Which are do you live in?
LSE and I have family living in Lewisham London so I will be taking public transport to uni and it's easier. Which are do you live in?

Oh, go for it, you'll definitely find many Tamil people and Indian people + people from many cultures. It's central London so you will feel extremely comfortable. I live quite near LSE and it's great.
Reply 12

I study at UoG and I can personally tell you, there's a whole lot of Tamil people around here and even a dedicated society. I'm not Tamil myself and can't speak personally from their perspective, but I have met a lot (even one yesterday). It's definitely embraced more here at the university and you'll easily find others that are Tamil as well if that's your worry.
Oh, go for it, you'll definitely find many Tamil people and Indian people + people from many cultures. It's central London so you will feel extremely comfortable. I live quite near LSE and it's great.

Thank you so much I was nervous at first but I think it will be ok. I'm srilankan tamil also.
Thank you so much I was nervous at first but I think it will be ok. I'm srilankan tamil also.

Yeah, london's fine tbh. Haven't experienced any racism (yet) mainly since its a multicultural place. Most london unis have TamilSoc too, so that's maybe better for you. As for the cool dons, its more of a cultural thing tbh, brought up differently uno
Sri Lankan Tamil here, brought up and live in London. Honestly there's so many of us in London, especially at London universities so don't worry. There are so many tamil societies, most London ones collab with other unis with their events so you'd deffo meet so many other Tamils. The Tamil scene in London is quite mad, so many events and such a tight-knit community. Overall positive experience, but obviously not everyone is completely nice, some are gossipy and try hard to be popular. If you want any specific advice just ask :smile:
Sri Lankan Tamil here, brought up and live in London. Honestly there's so many of us in London, especially at London universities so don't worry. There are so many tamil societies, most London ones collab with other unis with their events so you'd deffo meet so many other Tamils. The Tamil scene in London is quite mad, so many events and such a tight-knit community. Overall positive experience, but obviously not everyone is completely nice, some are gossipy and try hard to be popular. If you want any specific advice just ask :smile:

Hi I find it hard to approach guys and girls and have conversations with them :frown:
Hi I find it hard to approach guys and girls and have conversations with them :frown:

Ohh ok. I guess you'll be better with some practice. Just be very smiley and ask questions. People like talking about themselves. Also find some common ground to relate to and build up conversations on it. Remember the worst that can happen is you have a short conversation. No one would ignore you or anything... just some people don't click with each other and that's fine. Just keep approaching people with a smile till you find the right group of friends! :smile: Dw I can totally relate to you, it took some time to build up social skills but pls start the whole awkward small talk and be chatty so the process can be quick. Took me faaar too long lol
im tamil srilankan but i met most tamil people from tamil school and just normal school. You can meet bareeeees in East ham, wembley, barkingside/ilford so dont really worry about it. Its better to make friends with people other than tamils, just to broaden your horizons. :smile:
Ohh ok. I guess you'll be better with some practice. Just be very smiley and ask questions. People like talking about themselves. Also find some common ground to relate to and build up conversations on it. Remember the worst that can happen is you have a short conversation. No one would ignore you or anything... just some people don't click with each other and that's fine. Just keep approaching people with a smile till you find the right group of friends! :smile: Dw I can totally relate to you, it took some time to build up social skills but pls start the whole awkward small talk and be chatty so the process can be quick. Took me faaar too long lol

Thank you so much! Are you a girl/boy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending