The Student Room Group

Cross-dressing killer in J.K. Rowling book fuels ire

Now the real question is did Rowling actually use this character to 'take a swipe' at trans people, as these activists claim, or is this but an effort to further defame her?
Bearing in mind the seriously dubious nature of the claim that presenting a cross dresser as a killer is somehow "transphobic" it would come across as more them getting frightfully het up over, well, nothing. Last time one checked using this as a literary device is perfectly proper and acceptable. Unless they honestly take the view that you must never, ever, present such people in a bad light? Something i imagine would make writing books rather tricky if every group suddenly rose up and screamed bigotry if the bad guy happened to be represented by them :rolleyes:

Best-selling Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has stoked anger in the transgender community by including a cross-dressing serial killer in her latest novel.

Penned under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, Troubled Blood, published on Tuesday, is Rowling's fifth book to feature private investigator Cormoran Strike, the first four of which have been dramatised by the BBC.
Rowling has faced serial accusations of transphobia in recent months and trans activists said the new book appeared to take a deliberate swipe at the community.
"It's really sad to see this road J.K. Rowling appears to be on," said writer and trans advocate Ugla Stefania Kristjonudottir Jonsdottir, who quit Rowling's literary agency in June in protest at the writer's stance.
"It's one thing to have diverse characters, but when you write about a man dressing up as a woman in order to kill women, you are deliberately enforcing an awful trope about transgender people."
Admirers of the Harry Potter books were among those to express their anger.
"The hardest part of being a Harry Potter fan is JK Rowling herself," one said on Twitter on Tuesday.
The trans rights row does not appear to have dented sales, however, with the various hardback, audiobook and Kindle versions of "Troubled Blood" all occupying top five positions in Amazon's best sellers' list on Tuesday.
The book revolves around the case of a woman missing since 1974 and presumed to be the unknown victim of a long-jailed serial killer.
In one scene in the novel, the murderer disguises himself as a woman in order to abduct his victim.
'THIS IS FICTION'
Rowling weighed into the trans rights debate in June, when she published an initial tweet criticising a headline that said "creating a more equal post-Covid-19 world for people who menstruate".
"'People who menstruate'. I'm sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?" Rowling tweeted at the time.
The writer, whose Harry Potter series has sold more than 500 million books, followed the tweet with a 3600-word essay, in which she disclosed she had been a victim of domestic abuse and sexual assault.
Rowling's agent said the writer would not be commenting further.
But while many in the trans community were outraged by what they saw as further transphobia from the world's wealthiest author, others have defended her.
Robbie Coltrane, who played a recurring character in the Harry Potter film series, which has grossed a total of almost $US8 billion ($NZ11.9 billion) , told a British magazine that people were "waiting to be offended".
"I don't think what she said was offensive really," the actor told Radio Times, despite the film series' three main leads, Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint, having publicly criticised Rowling's past trans remarks.
Bev Jackson, co-founder of activist group LGB Alliance, said many of the attacks, which saw the hashtag #RIPJKRowling trending on Twitter, amounted to "misogyny".
It was "extraordinary that people have opinions about a book they haven't read", she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation on Tuesday.
"There are thousands of thrillers published every year, many of them will feature people who dress up in disguises, and this is fiction."

https://www.odt.co.nz/entertainment/books/cross-dressing-killer-jk-rowling-book-fuels-ire

Scroll to see replies

Only for the people that go looking for it.
whats the timeline here? Was she writing the book before or after her problems with the trans activists started?

If after... jeeze, fair play for having the balls to troll them in book form..
Reply 3
Original post by fallen_acorns
whats the timeline here? Was she writing the book before or after her problems with the trans activists started?

If after... jeeze, fair play for having the balls to troll them in book form..

I imagine before but to be honest props if she did do it just to give these oiks the birdie :lol:
Original post by Napp
I imagine before but to be honest props if she did do it just to give these oiks the birdie :lol:

Even if it was before.. to go through with it, knowing what will happen - just goes to show big balls a few hundred million pounds gives you!

Its a funny news story, but outside of harry potter I've never exactly been motivated to read any of her stuff.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by fallen_acorns
Even if it was before.. to go through with it, knowing what will happen - just goes to show big balls a few hundred million pounds gives you!

Its a funny news story, but outside of harry potter I've never exactly been motivated to read any of her stuff.

Indeed.
I'm almost tempted to read it just to see if it really is that overly offensive or, as i suspect, they're getting their knickers in a twist over absolutely nothing.
I think it is a little too coincidental that the author has had numerous runs ins with trans activists and then writes a book about a cross-dressing murderer.

It terms of marketing it is a genius move, create controversy to sell more books.
I thought it was about a transvestite man and not a trans woman.
Original post by Napp
Now the real question is did Rowling actually use this character to 'take a swipe' at trans people, as these activists claim, or is this but an effort to further defame her?
Bearing in mind the seriously dubious nature of the claim that presenting a cross dresser as a killer is somehow "transphobic" it would come across as more them getting frightfully het up over, well, nothing. Last time one checked using this as a literary device is perfectly proper and acceptable. Unless they honestly take the view that you must never, ever, present such people in a bad light? Something i imagine would make writing books rather tricky if every group suddenly rose up and screamed bigotry if the bad guy happened to be represented by them :rolleyes:

https://www.odt.co.nz/entertainment/books/cross-dressing-killer-jk-rowling-book-fuels-ire

Ugla Stefania Kristjonudottir Jonsdottir is one hell of a long and complex name. :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Ugla Stefania Kristjonudottir Jonsdottir is one hell of a long and complex name. :lol:

I did have to google to see who the owner of such a mouthful of a name was, apparently it also goes by 'owl fisher' :lol:
Reply 10
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8747125/JK-Rowling-accused-Islamophobia-passage-book-shared-online.html

Uh oh! As if that wasn't bad enough, it looks as if JK is a raging islamophobe too! Can we conclude now that JK Rowling is literally Hitler? I for one say yes.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Seems petty. Radical feminism is quite nauseating.
Reply 12
What's fascinating to me is that much of the same folk egging on Rowling's "women's space" 'feminism' - even providing apologia for it - are the same who find other identitarianisms abhorrent. One can only deduce that these two ideologically opposed camps are merely united by anti-trans sentiments.
Reply 13
^ Or, perhaps, the radical feminism which infantilises women into perpetual victimhood is something conservatives find appealing,

Original post by caravaggio2
I thought it was about a transvestite man and not a trans woman.

The description I heard was that the killer dresses as a woman simply as a disguise, so nothing to do with trans people.
As far as Rowling herself goes, yes people have every right to question or criticise her views, but the way some activists are going about it is completely unacceptable i.e sending abuse/ threats on Twitter, burning her books etc. I find the whole 'cancel culture' toxic & the idea that someone holding certain views on a particular subject somehow invalidates everything else they've ever done just makes no sense to me.
Original post by Wōden
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8747125/JK-Rowling-accused-Islamophobia-passage-book-shared-online.html

Uh oh! As if that wasn't bad enough, it looks as if JK is a raging islamophobe too! Can we conclude now that JK Rowling is literally Hitler? I for one say yes.

Surely ”a full face covering provides a way for people to disguise themselves” is pretty obvious?

That said, writing about detectives being able to work out if a dead man had eaten a ”halal takeaway” does show a lack of knowledge about Islam, but not doing the proper research when writing a book about a religion doesn't make you bigoted - if I had a pound for every writer who had no clue about Catholicism but added a bit about it in their novels I'd be richer than the Pope himself.
The character isn't a cross dresser. I think the character wore a women's coat once. This whole thing is beyond ridiculous.
Reply 17
Original post by Snufkin
The character isn't a cross dresser. I think the character wore a women's coat once. This whole thing is beyond ridiculous.

It's quite bizare what people manage to get upset about these days and ironically does more damage to their cause as sane minded people see these things and get poisoned to them.
Original post by Snufkin

Yeah. As the old Chinese proverb goes, where there's a will to convict there's evidence, which sums up why everything JKR says or does proves she's a tRaNsPhObE.
Original post by Napp

let's see

Openly Homophobic and transphobic writer , uses a writing pseudonym to differentiate her aimed at adults title from her aimed at children / YA stories ( which are full of racist and homophobic dog whistles )

the pseudonym 'just happens to be' the name of an active Promoter of Conversion therapy and uses one of the oldest literary transphobic tropes ...
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending