The Student Room Group

Could I do that?

I have an offer with Newcastle University through their partner scheme for law 2021, I have my a levels already so I only have to complete their summer school and I am accepted. Throughout this year tho I will be doing Access to HE Humanities to get enough credits in case if I would not get into my firm choice which is Newcastle. I was wondering if on results day I do get into Newcastle but at the same time have enough credits to go to my insurance (Leeds), could I then possibly swap unis and instead go to Leeds (of course first I would call Leeds and make sure that they would accept me with those credits).
It's because I want to go to Leeds more however I cannot choose them as my firm coz then I would not be eligible for Newcastle partner scheme and I would rather to keep Newcastle as my safety net since I only have to pass summer school however if I would get required credits from Leeds I would then like to choose them.
Reply 1
Original post by vickkyyxx
I have an offer with Newcastle University through their partner scheme for law 2021, I have my a levels already so I only have to complete their summer school and I am accepted. Throughout this year tho I will be doing Access to HE Humanities to get enough credits in case if I would not get into my firm choice which is Newcastle. I was wondering if on results day I do get into Newcastle but at the same time have enough credits to go to my insurance (Leeds), could I then possibly swap unis and instead go to Leeds (of course first I would call Leeds and make sure that they would accept me with those credits).
It's because I want to go to Leeds more however I cannot choose them as my firm coz then I would not be eligible for Newcastle partner scheme and I would rather to keep Newcastle as my safety net since I only have to pass summer school however if I would get required credits from Leeds I would then like to choose them.

Unfortunately the way it works is if you are accepted into your firm choice after achieving their requirements, then your insurance offer is cancelled. You would have to cancel your offer with Newcastle and apply to the course at Leeds through clearing (in which case your main challenge is availability of places). If you'd rather go to Leeds then I would be inclined to put it as your firm. You may be eligible for the access to Leeds scheme too which would lower your entry requirement.

If you're eligible for Partners you'd probably be eligible for Access to Leeds as well as the requirements are similar. No point in going to Newcastle if you don't want to.
Reply 3
Original post by aadil10
Unfortunately the way it works is if you are accepted into your firm choice after achieving their requirements, then your insurance offer is cancelled. You would have to cancel your offer with Newcastle and apply to the course at Leeds through clearing (in which case your main challenge is availability of places). If you'd rather go to Leeds then I would be inclined to put it as your firm. You may be eligible for the access to Leeds scheme too which would lower your entry requirement.

I am worried that I might not be successful this time, since for 2021 they did told me that they want to go ahead with normal access to leeds which is both quizes and an assignment which I am worried that I will fail whereas with Newcastle it's much easier. This year I was quite lucky with Access to Leeds since they scratched the whole assignment thing and replaced with like a questionnaire; how covid has impacted me particularly. And I did passed but well missed out on one grade :/
Reply 4
Original post by tiktoksensation
If you're eligible for Partners you'd probably be eligible for Access to Leeds as well as the requirements are similar. No point in going to Newcastle if you don't want to.

As I replied to similair comment. It' going to be harder than Newcastle. With N I only have to do their summer school but L requires you do to quizes but then assignment too which I am worried that I might not be able to pass it.
Reply 5
I am worried that I might not be successful this time, since for 2021 they did told me that they want to go ahead with normal access to leeds which is both quizes and an assignment which I am worried that I will fail whereas with Newcastle it's much easier. This year I was quite lucky with Access to Leeds since they scratched the whole assignment thing and replaced with like a questionnaire; how covid has impacted me particularly. And I did passed but well missed out on one grade :/

I did the Access to Leeds scheme myself when applying to uni and honestly as long as you meet their requirements it's quite a comfortable pass. Personally I'd take the risk and apply to the place I want to be. You've got a better chance of getting into Leeds by firming them even if you do miss your offer by one grade, whereas it's highly unlikely you'll get in by putting them as your insurance choice.
As I replied to similair comment. It' going to be harder than Newcastle. With N I only have to do their summer school but L requires you do to quizes but then assignment too which I am worried that I might not be able to pass it.

If you're this worried about being good enough to get a place, aren't you worried that the degree will be too difficult? It might be better to try for what you want - you may find that your ability is better than you think.
Reply 7
Original post by aadil10
I did the Access to Leeds scheme myself when applying to uni and honestly as long as you meet their requirements it's quite a comfortable pass. Personally I'd take the risk and apply to the place I want to be. You've got a better chance of getting into Leeds by firming them even if you do miss your offer by one grade, whereas it's highly unlikely you'll get in by putting them as your insurance choice.

I did missed out this year by only one grade with Access to Leeds even tho I had A in EPQ..
Reply 8
I did missed out this year by only one grade with Access to Leeds even tho I had A in EPQ..

If you're certain that the extra credits this year will meet the offer at Leeds then go for it. If you didn't get in with 1 grade below then it's usually because they've filled their spaces on that course. If you don't firm Leeds then the only way you'll get in on results day is if your course is available through clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending