The Student Room Group

Reapply to Oxford??

I had an offer to study mathematics at Cambridge last year but missed out on my STEP grades, I got a 2 1 in Step 2 and 3 and got 4A*S.

I now have the choice to reapply to oxford to do maths or to go to my insurance choice at LSE to do Maths with Economics. I am very passionate about Mathematics and I am unsure if the course at LSE is right for me, given that the Maths department at LSE is not considered to be very good.

I want to know if anyone has any advice on whether i should reapply or go to LSE, and whether or not I will be disadvantaged compared to other applicants being a gap year student.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
Don't know about maths but I feel like you should certainly reapply if you don't think that you'd be happy at LSE! whatever you choose to do, wish you the best of luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Regardless of whether or not you'd get into Oxford again, you may be advised to reapply if you don't wish to go to LSE. You may be interested to note that Oxford do accept applicants from students already at university, though you would likely have to restart the course.
Reply 3
Original post by robertgallacher
Regardless of whether or not you'd get into Oxford again, you may be advised to reapply if you don't wish to go to LSE. You may be interested to note that Oxford do accept applicants from students already at university, though you would likely have to restart the course.

Thanks for replying,
In that case, would I have to tell LSE that I am applying to another university again?
Reply 4
I am also a bit scared that with the covid situation I may not get an offer better than LSE if i reapply, in which case I have wasted a year and am at a worse university.
Original post by 123an456
Thanks for replying,
In that case, would I have to tell LSE that I am applying to another university again?

I'm not sure but I don't think you would be obliged to do so. I would also say that applying as a gap year applicant is preferable to applying as a current student, especially for Oxford. Whilst they will consider your application, if you are definitely not planning to stay on at LSE, I would recommend not going this year. I would definitely speak to both universities for further clarity and advice, though.
I had an offer to study mathematics at Cambridge last year but missed out on my STEP grades, I got a 2 1 in Step 2 and 3 and got 4A*S.

I now have the choice to reapply to oxford to do maths or to go to my insurance choice at LSE to do Maths with Economics. I am very passionate about Mathematics and I am unsure if the course at LSE is right for me, given that the Maths department at LSE is not considered to be very good.

I want to know if anyone has any advice on whether i should reapply or go to LSE, and whether or not I will be disadvantaged compared to other applicants being a gap year student.

Don't waste a year. Go to LSE. Finish well and apply for a MSc in Oxford. That's having your cake and eat it.

Advice on gap year applications is -

"Deferred entry applications in Mathematics, its Joint Schools, and Computer Science will be considered from applicants who have planned structured activities in their gap year; activities might include technical employment relevant to Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science, teaching abroad or a gap year programme..."
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/our-offer

It is possible to apply to an Oxford first degree course whilst already studying at another university. Of course, you will still have to do the admissions test etc, and you'll have to supply an academic reference. Should you ultimately get an offer from Oxford, it will probably be conditional on getting high marks in your first year LSE exams.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show