The Student Room Group

High school sweetheart

Is anybody still with their high school sweetheart, if so, please tell me the story and what the key is to lasting so long and getting through the rough years !!
Original post by Anonymous
Is anybody still with their high school sweetheart, if so, please tell me the story and what the key is to lasting so long and getting through the rough years !!

There's a really sweet and intelligent girl in my year (she wins about half of the prizes, and this is one of the best schools in the country for exam results). In Years 9 and 10 when I was having a lot of trouble (getting suspended, bad grades), me and her would get the train home together. Even though I never had the guts to ask her out, particularly since I didn't (and still don't) like myself as a person, our conversations would still make a truly awful day only bad. During this time I developed genuine feelings for her, but since I'm a boring person she would usually go on her phone and sometimes not even look at me. I began to resent her, and eventually stopped talking to her. She then flirted with me (which I ignored) all through Years 11 and 12, and in the days before the lockdown I thought that I might as well have some fun. This was a big mistake, as I ended up simping and destroying what little self-esteem I had left. I got her number, but I soon stopped texting her as she would only send the bare minimum back if anything. I then became resentful of her, and have since decided to ignore women romantically period. A relationship I thought was genuine was just shallow practise for a low tier girl who doesn't even care about me. So in my final year, as I have top grades now and will be applying for Cambridge and other top universities, I'm going to at least keep some self respect and ignore her. *And he lived happily ever after. The End.*
There's a really sweet and intelligent girl in my year (she wins about half of the prizes, and this is one of the best schools in the country for exam results). In Years 9 and 10 when I was having a lot of trouble (getting suspended, bad grades), me and her would get the train home together. Even though I never had the guts to ask her out, particularly since I didn't (and still don't) like myself as a person, our conversations would still make a truly awful day only bad. During this time I developed genuine feelings for her, but since I'm a boring person she would usually go on her phone and sometimes not even look at me. I began to resent her, and eventually stopped talking to her. She then flirted with me (which I ignored) all through Years 11 and 12, and in the days before the lockdown I thought that I might as well have some fun. This was a big mistake, as I ended up simping and destroying what little self-esteem I had left. I got her number, but I soon stopped texting her as she would only send the bare minimum back if anything. I then became resentful of her, and have since decided to ignore women romantically period. A relationship I thought was genuine was just shallow practise for a low tier girl who doesn't even care about me. So in my final year, as I have top grades now and will be applying for Cambridge and other top universities, I'm going to at least keep some self respect and ignore her. *And he lived happily ever after. The End.*

You sound immature, tending to be a jerk, and likely to be regretting ever after if you don't grow up.
Reply 3

You still sound quite bitter about the whole thing. And insecure.
Of course if you dont make yourself seem even the slightest bit interesting shes not going to want to talk. But rather than fixing that you ignored her..? Cambridge and top grades cannot make up for a lack of social skills.
Original post by NowAndThen
You sound immature, tending to be a jerk, and likely to be regretting ever after if you don't grow up.

A jerk wouldn’t question things as much as I do. The immature part is true - I’m not really into people to put it mildly and generally begin hating people very quickly. I was quickly outcast from the social circle in my school from Year 1 (my first memory is getting held against a wall before being kissed by a fat girl as a joke, and then having to spend the rest of lunch on “The Step” because I was “told on” first). I spent the rest of my early childhood trying to ignore this version of tig my classmates had where I was “it” forever, meaning everyone avoided me and used this as a joke to cover for it. So I never really developed basic self awareness or empathy since I stopped trying to play with anyone after Year 2. I was later diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome even though I would describe myself as sociopathic, since my lack of empathy and self awareness helps me to do whatever I want to without caring. It’s not even like I’m socially unable - I can talk to people fine most of the time, but eventually my character shows through. Probably about 3 or 4 girls in the year (including probably the most attractive one) flirt with me since they mistake ignorance for confidence, but I know they wouldn’t dare date me, at least not once the initial charm wore off after a few dates. On dating, my best I’ve ever done is getting this girl’s number, but she genuinely doesn’t seem to give one about me even though she has literally speedwalked after me to the train and still tries to corner me. How am I meant to “grow up” if I don’t even have fundamental social skills, and the only person I genuinely care about besides my parents just wants to use me and keep at a distance from any form of serious relationship?
Somewhat, and it isn't so much sweetheart as it is headache. 4 ish years I think, give or take a few months

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending