The Student Room Group

Cousin annoying my lifestyle

So my dad has his own computer business that he runs from home. My cousin wanted to learn off him so he comes here everyday to learn and help my dad. Thing is though, when he has nothing to do, or if he's taking a break he always comes into my room and lingers and ends up disrupting what I'm doing. I find it really frustrating. Like I'm trying to freelance so I'll be doing some research or trying to find clients or even editing some projects AMD he'll come and watch and yapping and it really distracts me. And then he'll even say "oi take a break" or "stop doing this" or "don't do this while I'm here". Like I really feel like telling him to shut up but he is a nice person.

I can't put my life on standstill or change my lifestyle. I like gaming in the evenings after I've finished my work and because it's so late when we have to drop him home, I can't even game cos either he makes my life come to a stand still or he'd play aswell and I can never play properly with my friends. What can I do. It's beyond frustrating but he's a nice guy and I can't shout or yell or say anything rude to him.

Also forgot to mention it is also affecting my routine. Normally I'm in bed by half 9 or half 10 and I wake up early like 5 or 6. But since he's been coming and everything in my day has been delayed, I'm doing everything later therefore I'm not going to bed at midnight and not waking until 8. I absolutely hate it. I like waking early
(edited 3 years ago)
Put a sign on your door that says do not disturb or something
If he doesn't take the hint and still continues to annoy then say something like I'm busy at the moment doing work and need to get it done (idk, firm but politely so hopefully he gets the hint?) or speak to your dad
Reply 2
Original post by Makijuice
So my dad has his own computer business that he runs from home. My cousin wanted to learn off him so he comes here everyday to learn and help my dad. Thing is though, when he has nothing to do, or if he's taking a break he always comes into my room and lingers and ends up disrupting what I'm doing. I find it really frustrating. Like I'm trying to freelance so I'll be doing some research or trying to find clients or even editing some projects AMD he'll come and watch and yapping and it really distracts me. And then he'll even say "oi take a break" or "stop doing this" or "don't do this while I'm here". Like I really feel like telling him to shut up but he is a nice person.

I can't put my life on standstill or change my lifestyle. I like gaming in the evenings after I've finished my work and because it's so late when we have to drop him home, I can't even game cos either he makes my life come to a stand still or he'd play aswell and I can never play properly with my friends. What can I do. It's beyond frustrating but he's a nice guy and I can't shout or yell or say anything rude to him.

Also forgot to mention it is also affecting my routine. Normally I'm in bed by half 9 or half 10 and I wake up early like 5 or 6. But since he's been coming and everything in my day has been delayed, I'm doing everything later therefore I'm not going to bed at midnight and not waking until 8. I absolutely hate it. I like waking early

How old are you and how old is he?
Reply 3
The thing im most disturbed by is that you said you like waking up early! :afraid: Seems like your cousin is lonely. Like hes not comfortable enough in your house to just go off and do what he wants to do and he just wants you there to make him more comfortable and have someone to chat with. Id say your options are to be brutal and say he cant interrupt work or just schedule in time for him
Reply 4
Original post by Kerzen
How old are you and how old is he?

I'm 23 and hes 27. My last of of uni lectures are all gonna be online so that's another things that's worrying me, I dont want him barging into my room every 15 mins whilst I'm in the middle of a lecture
Reply 5
Original post by Pchim
The thing im most disturbed by is that you said you like waking up early! :afraid: Seems like your cousin is lonely. Like hes not comfortable enough in your house to just go off and do what he wants to do and he just wants you there to make him more comfortable and have someone to chat with. Id say your options are to be brutal and say he cant interrupt work or just schedule in time for him

Looool. Might have to be firm. Tbh I don't "want" to schedule time for him cos I see him everyday now. I'd rather be gaming with my college or uni friends who I haven't seen in ages.
Original post by Makijuice
I'm 23 and hes 27.

I was very much expecting you to say he was 15 or so years younger. A 27 year old that doesn't have the awareness not to bother people when they're busy might need more than a firm talking to. Also discuss this with your dad. It's fine if your dad is working and takes responsibility for him, but it's not fine for him to interrupt you when you're working. If this were an office, it wouldn't be acceptable for him to go bothering other colleagues and it's no different just because you're family and working from home.

Not to sound rude, but does he have any mental health issues that could be impacting him? As this very much sounds like the behaviour of a young child rather than someone in their late 20s.
Put a lock on your door
Tell him you have to wake up at 5 so go to bed early
Game sometimes with him but chuck him out when you want to get ready to sleep and other days te him you want to game with your friends so he is not welcome
When you are working just make it clear you don't want him in your room
You are just going to have to be firm. Maybe the cousin doesn't have friends and wants to join you, maybe he doesn't feel comfortable going about your house doing his own thing.
Speak with your father/parents
I'd honestly get a lock on the door. I've worked from home freelance since 2012, and people don't 'get' it. They come in for a chat, ask if I want to go out for lunch, ask me to run errands because I'm at home.. In the end I had to say look, just imagine I'm NOT at home, and I'm in an office until 5pm. Then, I'm all yours!
Reply 9
Original post by AcseI
I was very much expecting you to say he was 15 or so years younger. A 27 year old that doesn't have the awareness not to bother people when they're busy might need more than a firm talking to. Also discuss this with your dad. It's fine if your dad is working and takes responsibility for him, but it's not fine for him to interrupt you when you're working. If this were an office, it wouldn't be acceptable for him to go bothering other colleagues and it's no different just because you're family and working from home.

Not to sound rude, but does he have any mental health issues that could be impacting him? As this very much sounds like the behaviour of a young child rather than someone in their late 20s.

Not that we know of. Altough everyone in my family would agree he doesn't seem 27 and it feels way younger
Reply 10
I've already got a lock but since I never lock it, it seems rude Nd obvious when I do. I'm gonna have to speak to my dad I guess
Reply 11
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'd honestly get a lock on the door. I've worked from home freelance since 2012, and people don't 'get' it. They come in for a chat, ask if I want to go out for lunch, ask me to run errands because I'm at home.. In the end I had to say look, just imagine I'm NOT at home, and I'm in an office until 5pm. Then, I'm all yours!

Ahhhh finally someone who understands. Just cos I'm in my room everyone thinks I'm doing nothing or just sitting there gaming. They don't realizing editing takes a lot of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending