The Student Room Group

Disability support at uni

Hi! I'm starting my first term at uni next week. I have 2 Learning disability's, which meant I had extra support in exams, such as a scribe, 25% extra time and handouts on tinted (yellow) paper. My school advised to talk to the unis Diabbled student department as (they said), I should be able to get the same support, and they gave me all the documents I would need to do so. But, i don't know how too. I've had a look on the website and the best I can find is an online chat, but I'm not sure that's the correct way to ask and I don't know what to phase it. Can anyone help, please?
( I'm starting at Warwick)
Reply 1
Original post by Nikhitashaunak
Hi! I'm starting my first term at uni next week. I have 2 Learning disability's, which meant I had extra support in exams, such as a scribe, 25% extra time and handouts on tinted (yellow) paper. My school advised to talk to the unis Diabbled student department as (they said), I should be able to get the same support, and they gave me all the documents I would need to do so. But, i don't know how too. I've had a look on the website and the best I can find is an online chat, but I'm not sure that's the correct way to ask and I don't know what to phase it. Can anyone help, please?

I'd say start with the online chat and talk about your needs and requirements, and if they can't help you then i'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction and give you contact details for someone who can help you, have u tried finding the student disability and wellbeing team on social media like instagram and trying to dm them directly

you'll need to speak to their student support department https://warwick.ac.uk/services/wss/students/disability/ (their phone number is on that link) and you'll need to put in a dsa application which will pay for any support you need (the university can talk you through how to do it)
Original post by claireestelle
you'll need to speak to their student support department https://warwick.ac.uk/services/wss/students/disability/ (their phone number is on that link) and you'll need to put in a dsa application which will pay for any support you need (the university can talk you through how to do it)

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Joy L
I'd say start with the online chat and talk about your needs and requirements, and if they can't help you then i'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction and give you contact details for someone who can help you, have u tried finding the student disability and wellbeing team on social media like instagram and trying to dm them directly

I didn't think of that ( too dm them), I guess I'll try that first. Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle

yes, try calling the number on the link (hopefully someone will be there to answer, however they may not due to covid and may be working from home, however they should be on campus as uni courses are starting very soon
Reply 6
I didn't think of that ( too dm them), I guess I'll try that first. Thanks :smile:

no problem, hope you get thru to the right person and get everything arranged before u start your course, gl for uni xx

Quick Reply

Latest