The Student Room Group

Can’t get required grades

I’m wanting to stay at home while studying at uni, mainly for financial reasons, but the problem is to study Maths at that uni I need AAA, which I’m definitely not going to get.

The next closest unis that do Maths are a minimum of 2hrs travel, considering the trains don’t delay etc. On top of that, I don’t like the modules of the Degree at them unis.

I’m stuck and I don’t know what to do, please can I have advice?
Original post by Gerrard88
I’m wanting to stay at home while studying at uni, mainly for financial reasons, but the problem is to study Maths at that uni I need AAA, which I’m definitely not going to get.

The next closest unis that do Maths are a minimum of 2hrs travel, considering the trains don’t delay etc. On top of that, I don’t like the modules of the Degree at them unis.

First, aim for the grades. Then, you can talk about the rest after you've achieved your grades.

Unis usually lower their entry requirements in clearing. Don't lose hope. Aim for the grades first. The rest is for later.

Are you sure you can't get AAA? If that's really the only university you can feasibly consider surely that should motivate you to get the grades? I would work as hard as I could to get those grades, if you can't acheive them after trying your best to, then I'm not sure what options you have other than travel really far or try and work round the financial reasons.
Reply 3
Original post by Nobodyy
First, aim for the grades. Then, you can talk about the rest after you've achieved your grades.

Unis usually lower their entry requirements in clearing. Don't lose hope. Aim for the grades first. The rest is for later.

Do Russel group unis tend to have clearing? I would’ve thought because it’s a Russel group uni I’m trying to get into, and I’m doing a fairly popular degree, it wouldn’t have clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by Incede
Are you sure you can't get AAA? If that's really the only university you can feasibly consider surely that should motivate you to get the grades? I would work as hard as I could to get those grades, if you can't acheive them after trying your best to, then I'm not sure what options you have other than travel really far or try and work round the financial reasons.

Realistically I don’t think I’ll be able to get AAA.

I’m working my socks off at the moment, but I still think I would be able to get AAA. I don’t want to lie to myself and say I can.

Do you think travelling 2hr30mins a day to uni is reasonable?
Realistically I don’t think I’ll be able to get AAA.

I’m working my socks off at the moment, but I still think I would be able to get AAA. I don’t want to lie to myself and say I can.

Do you think travelling 2hr30mins a day to uni is reasonable?

I can't help but think if you are working your socks off and struggling to get AAA then you must be doing something wrong like inefficient revision. What subjects are you taking?

If it's travelling 1h15 each way then it may be possible but 2h30 each way is definitely not reasonable - you'd be way too tired.
Do Russel group unis tend to have clearing? I would’ve thought because it’s a Russel group uni I’m trying to get into, and I’m doing a fairly popular degree, it wouldn’t have clearing.

Yes. Most Russell groups will have courses in clearing but not Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE amongst a few others.
However, as you said, if it's a pretty popular course it may not be in clearing and obviously next year with more applicants from autumn exams etc. it's not clear how things will pan out.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/advice/clearing-2019-uk-universities-courses-available this shows you some universities that had clearing courses in 2019 but sadly it doesn't quite show what specific courses.

To clear your doubts, contact the unis. They will be able to let you know about it.

I understand it can be frustrating but at the end of the day there are many other people who want to do maths as well so you have to be better than all of them and work your socks off to get your place at the uni you want.
Reply 8
Original post by Incede
I can't help but think if you are working your socks off and struggling to get AAA then you must be doing something wrong like inefficient revision. What subjects are you taking?

If it's travelling 1h15 each way then it may be possible but 2h30 each way is definitely not reasonable - you'd be way too tired.

I’m doing maths, psychology and physics. The main problem is physics. I may be able to scrape an A in maths and psychology, but physics I really don’t see any way.

Yeah 2h30 each way. I know, it will be a bit of a struggle.
Reply 9
Original post by neko no basu
Yes. Most Russell groups will have courses in clearing but not Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE amongst a few others.
However, as you said, if it's a pretty popular course it may not be in clearing and obviously next year with more applicants from autumn exams etc. it's not clear how things will pan out.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/advice/clearing-2019-uk-universities-courses-available this shows you some universities that had clearing courses in 2019 but sadly it doesn't quite show what specific courses.

COVID has really shafted us. Lots of people didn’t go uni this year will probably go next year.
Reply 10
Original post by Nobodyy
To clear your doubts, contact the unis. They will be able to let you know about it.

I understand it can be frustrating but at the end of the day there are many other people who want to do maths as well so you have to be better than all of them and work your socks off to get your place at the uni you want.

That’s completely fair. I’m trying my best, thanks for the reply.
If you say physics is the problem, could you see if the uni might accept an alternative? Say A*AB instead of AAA which might give you some leniency with physics
I would suggest that you email the uni and ask how much contact hours there are. From my experience, some courses only require you to be in for a couple of hours a couple of times a week, so then the 2hour 30 mins drive would be feasible. Or, say that you only needed to be in Mon-Wed then you could get an air bnb for a couple of nights?
Reply 13
Original post by Ciara0720
If you say physics is the problem, could you see if the uni might accept an alternative? Say A*AB instead of AAA which might give you some leniency with physics

Oh yes, I forgot about that, they do. However I don’t even know if I’ll be able to get a B in physics. I’m doing awful despite my efforts.
Reply 14
Original post by Moana92
I would suggest that you email the uni and ask how much contact hours there are. From my experience, some courses only require you to be in for a couple of hours a couple of times a week, so then the 2hour 30 mins drive would be feasible. Or, say that you only needed to be in Mon-Wed then you could get an air bnb for a couple of nights?

Didn’t think of that, I definitely will ask them about how many contact hours they have.

Getting an air bnb for 3 years? Isn’t that unreasonable?
Didn’t think of that, I definitely will ask them about how many contact hours they have.

Getting an air bnb for 3 years? Isn’t that unreasonable?

Either that or making friends with people in accommodation that are nice enough to let you sleep on the floor once or twice a week for free?
Reply 16
Original post by Moana92
Either that or making friends with people in accommodation that are nice enough to let you sleep on the floor once or twice a week for free?

I’d rather not to be honest.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.
I’m doing maths, psychology and physics. The main problem is physics. I may be able to scrape an A in maths and psychology, but physics I really don’t see any way.

Yeah 2h30 each way. I know, it will be a bit of a struggle.

I think you can get AAA. If you learn how to revise for physics properly I feel you can easily get an A. If you don't get the grades you need then your next 3 years won't be nice so if you work really hard/smart this year then your next 3 years will be enjoyable. For the moment try to get the grades you need, if you don't get them, then you can decide at a later date.

If you look up how to get an A* in physics you'll find some really good advice and hopefully that should help. Do the research by watching videos and reading articles on how to get a top grade, then actually do what you need to in order to get the grade.

AAA is very achievable, there's still 8 months, good luck!
Reply 18
Original post by Incede
I think you can get AAA. If you learn how to revise for physics properly I feel you can easily get an A. If you don't get the grades you need then your next 3 years won't be nice so if you work really hard/smart this year then your next 3 years will be enjoyable. For the moment try to get the grades you need, if you don't get them, then you can decide at a later date.

If you look up how to get an A* in physics you'll find some really good advice and hopefully that should help. Do the research by watching videos and reading articles on how to get a top grade, then actually do what you need to in order to get the grade.

AAA is very achievable, there's still 8 months, good luck!

Thank you for the advice, appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending