The Student Room Group

Can you get into nursing with low gcse grades but a 2:1 degree

I graduated 10 years ago in journalism with a 2:1 degree
But I decided to have a career change and would love to get into nursing. However my GCSE and A level grades don’t match the requirements most universities are asking for. Will my degree be enough for them to consider me. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I’m not 100% on this but if your a levels don’t match you may have to do a foundation year at uni, but do you need certain a levels to do nursing anyway?
Reply 2
As long as you have your GCSEs maths & English, it really shouldn't be a problem.
I would think it would be ok.
You'd need the A-C grade for English and maths, but having a degree already is more proof of academic ability than GCSE's
Reply 4
I've heard about people doing a Access to Higher Education course at local collages to make up for their GCSE/Alevel grades in order to get into nursing, so I think that would be worth looking at. Also, while you're working on that course you could also work as a healthcare support assistant so that you can also back your application up with experience.
Reply 5
Original post by Moana92
I've heard about people doing a Access to Higher Education course at local collages to make up for their GCSE/Alevel grades in order to get into nursing, so I think that would be worth looking at. Also, while you're working on that course you could also work as a healthcare support assistant so that you can also back your application up with experience.

True, but grade C/4 or above in GCSE English/Maths is still required.
Original post by Shushu_j
I graduated 10 years ago in journalism with a 2:1 degree
But I decided to have a career change and would love to get into nursing. However my GCSE and A level grades don’t match the requirements most universities are asking for. Will my degree be enough for them to consider me. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

You can get into a really good uni for nursing even with bad gcse grades. I got into KCL this year and i was a little bit under the a level requirements but they still gave me a place thankfully. As long as you have passed maths and english you should be fine, hopefully
Reply 7
thank you everyone for your reply. It gave me a little hope. Thank you 😊
Reply 8
Just check as most universities require evidence of recent study, usually within the last 5 years.

I have the a levels and gcse requirements but as they were 14 years ago I’m doing an access course.
Reply 9
Original post by tansinuddin
You can get into a really good uni for nursing even with bad gcse grades. I got into KCL this year and i was a little bit under the a level requirements but they still gave me a place thankfully. As long as you have passed maths and english you should be fine, hopefully

Oh really, same I got into nursing at kcl too !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending