The Student Room Group

Recommend me some unis!

Hello everyone!

Well it's been a weird year...so I've decided to take a gap year to gather my thoughts! I was incredibly grateful that everything paid off and I got A*A*A*A in English Literature, Psychology, Drama and History so now I'm looking for some unis to apply to for English Literature!

A little about me:
I'm a rural girl from a state school, so London is out of the question (I don't really like the size and busy-ness but especially not the prices...) but other cities aren't - of the (few) I've visited, I liked the feel of Birmingham, Gloucester, York, Dublin and Edinburgh (although obviously the uni is most important and unis in more rural areas are great too!)
I care greatly about the employability prospects of the uni because it's all such an uncertain time so I suppose I'm asking for unis that are more "established" in my subject or in general
I like literature from across literally every time period, but I have a soft spot for mid 18th century to present
A bit trivial, but I really like the aesthetic appeal of ancient universities - the architecture, tradition, history etc. (but clearly this isn't the most important thing, just a bonus!)
I'm not looking to only stay in the UK so any international suggestions welcome 🙂
I like the idea of a more flexible course (like at Scottish unis; think Manchester and Lancaster have majors and minors?; think Cambridge lets you borrow papers outside your course? etc.)

Any and all suggestions (preferably with justifications) welcome - let's find me 5 unis!

Thanks guys, have a great day 🙂

Scroll to see replies

Lancaster does have majors and minors but not for all subjects. physics is the full 120 credits with the amount of topic they have to cover, so doesnt offer the minor.
It sounds like you would enjoy Durham! It has a very cute little town, it is a very well respected university, the architecture is beautiful, it has great tradition and culture.
Reply 3
Original post by Ghostlady
Lancaster does have majors and minors but not for all subjects. physics is the full 120 credits with the amount of topic they have to cover, so doesnt offer the minor.

Okay, do you know if this is the case for English Literature? Does Lancaster seem like a good fit for me?
Reply 4
Original post by chloenix
It sounds like you would enjoy Durham! It has a very cute little town, it is a very well respected university, the architecture is beautiful, it has great tradition and culture.

Okay, thank you! I shall take a look 🙂
Original post by chloenix

Original post by Ciara0720
Hello everyone!

I was thinking of Durham for OP too. Also, maybe St Andrews?
Reply 6
Original post by emiloujess
I was thinking of Durham for OP too. Also, maybe St Andrews?

I was thinking St Andrews, it really ticks all the boxes (and I think I prefer it to Durham, having had a look at both), thanks for the suggestion 🙂
Hello everyone!

Well it's been a weird year...so I've decided to take a gap year to gather my thoughts! I was incredibly grateful that everything paid off and I got A*A*A*A in English Literature, Psychology, Drama and History so now I'm looking for some unis to apply to for English Literature!

A little about me:
I'm a rural girl from a state school, so London is out of the question (I don't really like the size and busy-ness but especially not the prices...) but other cities aren't - of the (few) I've visited, I liked the feel of Birmingham, Gloucester, York, Dublin and Edinburgh (although obviously the uni is most important and unis in more rural areas are great too!)
I care greatly about the employability prospects of the uni because it's all such an uncertain time so I suppose I'm asking for unis that are more "established" in my subject or in general
I like literature from across literally every time period, but I have a soft spot for mid 18th century to present
A bit trivial, but I really like the aesthetic appeal of ancient universities - the architecture, tradition, history etc. (but clearly this isn't the most important thing, just a bonus!)
I'm not looking to only stay in the UK so any international suggestions welcome 🙂
I like the idea of a more flexible course (like at Scottish unis; think Manchester and Lancaster have majors and minors?; think Cambridge lets you borrow papers outside your course? etc.)

Any and all suggestions (preferably with justifications) welcome - let's find me 5 unis!

it sounds like St Andrews is perfect for you... Scottish degrees are naturally flexible - while you study 1 subject only for three years in England (generally), in Scotland you start off with 3 subjects of your choice in your first year

see my applicants 2021 thread! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431074
Reply 8
Original post by A Rolling Stone
it sounds like St Andrews is perfect for you... Scottish degrees are naturally flexible - while you study 1 subject only for three years in England (generally), in Scotland you start off with 3 subjects of your choice in your first year

see my applicants 2021 thread! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431074

Great, thank you - I'll check out your thread too 🙂

St Andrews is coming up a lot, any other suggestions?
Hello everyone!

A little about me:

Hi @Ciara0720,

First of all congrats on your fantastic A Level grades! You must be so pleased. :smile:

I studied English Literature at Birmingham (2019 graduate) so if you have any questions about the course / city / University in general then just ask away. I also went to a state school but I never found this to be much of a big deal at UoB.

As you mentioned an interest in particular time periods I thought it might be helpful to share some of my favourite modules from the course:

Victorian Literature (e.g. Great Expectations, The Mayor of Casterbridge, Cranford)

Digital Witness (e.g. The Handmaid's Tale, Exit West, Bloodchild, Black Mirror - Nosedive)

Modern American Poetry (eg. Audre Lorde, Langston Hughes, Allen Ginsberg)

Alternative Facts (e.g. The Man in the High Castle, The Underground Railroad, Everfair, Farthing)

Stories of the Novel (e.g. Oroonoko, Moll Flanders, Evelina, Pamela)

This is just a small selection of the modules I studied, of course there are many more!

What I really liked about the course was that it was very flexible, we didn't have very many compulsory modules, especially compared to other courses (3/4 in first year, 1 in second year and none in final year). Where we had optional modules there were so many choices in each option block (around 10 options per block in y3) so that meant I could always find something that I was really passionate about, rather than something I could just tolerate.

If you're looking for something with even more flexibility I would definitely recommend taking a look at the Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences programmes. These programmes are almost completely flexible and allow you to pick modules from across the entire University to create a degree programme completely unique to you.

I hope this gives you a little to think about but if you have any more questions at all just let me know!

Molly :biggrin:
Harvard
Reply 11
Original post by UoB - Arts and Law
Hi @Ciara0720,

First of all congrats on your fantastic A Level grades! You must be so pleased. :smile:

I studied English Literature at Birmingham (2019 graduate) so if you have any questions about the course / city / University in general then just ask away. I also went to a state school but I never found this to be much of a big deal at UoB.

As you mentioned an interest in particular time periods I thought it might be helpful to share some of my favourite modules from the course:

Victorian Literature (e.g. Great Expectations, The Mayor of Casterbridge, Cranford)

Digital Witness (e.g. The Handmaid's Tale, Exit West, Bloodchild, Black Mirror - Nosedive)

Modern American Poetry (eg. Audre Lorde, Langston Hughes, Allen Ginsberg)

Alternative Facts (e.g. The Man in the High Castle, The Underground Railroad, Everfair, Farthing)

Stories of the Novel (e.g. Oroonoko, Moll Flanders, Evelina, Pamela)

This is just a small selection of the modules I studied, of course there are many more!

What I really liked about the course was that it was very flexible, we didn't have very many compulsory modules, especially compared to other courses (3/4 in first year, 1 in second year and none in final year). Where we had optional modules there were so many choices in each option block (around 10 options per block in y3) so that meant I could always find something that I was really passionate about, rather than something I could just tolerate.

If you're looking for something with even more flexibility I would definitely recommend taking a look at the Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences programmes. These programmes are almost completely flexible and allow you to pick modules from across the entire University to create a degree programme completely unique to you.

I hope this gives you a little to think about but if you have any more questions at all just let me know!

Molly :biggrin:

Hi Molly, this is super helpful, thank you so much 🙂 Might be another one for the list! How would you say Birmingham is viewed by employers?

Thanks 🙂
Reply 12
Original post by 18jordaa
Harvard

I can't tell if this a joke or not, sorry! Could you elaborate please? Thanks 🙂
Hi Molly, this is super helpful, thank you so much 🙂 Might be another one for the list! How would you say Birmingham is viewed by employers?

Thanks 🙂

No problem! I'd say its viewed well, being one of the original Redbrick Universities in the UK obviously it has it has a long history and the reputation that goes along with that. I think we are also known for being academically rigorous with nearly all of our courses requiring ABB or higher. We were out of clearing this year by about midday and only for a very select number of courses, this just goes to show that this year the vast majority of our places were filled by students who met or exceeded their entry requirements.

That being said I would say from my own experience (and from speaking to friends / siblings who went to other Universities, e.g. Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool) that most employers don't have specific views on individual Universities, generally they tend to view Russel Group Universities as being on a par with one another (excluding Oxford and Cambridge) so it likely won't be a huge factor in their decision making.

What I would say is to look out for unique opportunities at each of the places you're applying. Do they have links with specific employers, do they have placement modules available as part of the course, do they allow you to take on part time work and internships during your studies? These are the things that will make your CV stand out. As much as the Uni you choose will affect your experience it usually isn't the defining feature of your employability as a graduate.

Hope this helps! - Molly :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by UoB - Arts and Law
No problem! I'd say its viewed well, being one of the original Redbrick Universities in the UK obviously it has it has a long history and the reputation that goes along with that. I think we are also known for being academically rigorous with nearly all of our courses requiring ABB or higher. We were out of clearing this year by about midday and only for a very select number of courses, this just goes to show that this year the vast majority of our places were filled by students who met or exceeded their entry requirements.

That being said I would say from my own experience (and from speaking to friends / siblings who went to other Universities, e.g. Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool) that most employers don't have specific views on individual Universities, generally they tend to view Russel Group Universities as being on a par with one another (excluding Oxford and Cambridge) so it likely won't be a huge factor in their decision making.

What I would say is to look out for unique opportunities at each of the places you're applying. Do they have links with specific employers, do they have placement modules available as part of the course, do they allow you to take on part time work and internships during your studies? These are the things that will make your CV stand out. As much as the Uni you choose will affect your experience it usually isn't the defining feature of your employability as a graduate.

Hope this helps! - Molly :biggrin:

Okay, thanks so much for your help 🙂

Would you say there are any disadvantages with not going to an RG? For instance lots of people here seem to think St Andrews would be a good fit for me and it ranks highly but does it hold the same respect from employers? Would you say Oxford or Cambridge might be a possibility for me?

Sorry these aren't very UoB-focussed! Thanks for all your help so far 🙂
Great, thank you - I'll check out your thread too 🙂

St Andrews is coming up a lot, any other suggestions?

any of the topic unis will be an option for you!

and to answer your other query, as someone who has been in 'the real world' for 3 years now, employers are impressed by unis they recognise as prestigious, but ulmtilately, they do not care what uni you went to, but what work experience/evidence of people skills you have on your CV
Reply 16
any of the topic unis will be an option for you!

and to answer your other query, as someone who has been in 'the real world' for 3 years now, employers are impressed by unis they recognise as prestigious, but ulmtilately, they do not care what uni you went to, but what work experience/evidence of people skills you have on your CV

Hopefully so 🙂

Okay, thanks - I'd still like options leaning more to the typically "prestigious" side because as you said people are to some extent impressed by them, but also because the people who attend them seem to have a similar mindset to me (and I don't want to undersell myself!) With that in mind, do you have any suggestions for anywhere that might suit me?

Thanks for your help so far 🙂
Hopefully so 🙂

Okay, thanks - I'd still like options leaning more to the typically "prestigious" side because as you said people are to some extent impressed by them, but also because the people who attend them seem to have a similar mindset to me (and I don't want to undersell myself!) With that in mind, do you have any suggestions for anywhere that might suit me?

Thanks for your help so far 🙂

Warwick, Durham, Bristol
Reply 18
Warwick, Durham, Bristol

Great thanks 🙂 A friend mentioned Glasgow, what do you (or anyone else!) think?
(edited 3 years ago)
Okay, do you know if this is the case for English Literature? Does Lancaster seem like a good fit for me?

Hi i believe it does yes :biggrin: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/english-literature-ba-hons-q300/#structure .

if you dont like the size and busyness of a city then Lancasters perfect. You can walk north to south of the city centre withing about 25 mins . My daughters studying there next week. We had a good look round the city and its got 3 clubs daltonrooms/glow and sugarhouse and they have been made temporary into bars until covid blows over. and lots of pubs. Canal runs through the middle of it, very picturesque. Plus you got a bus straight from uni to morecambe, a seaside town, and also the lakes is a couple of buses, so if you want a change of scenery, you have it :smile: Librarys huge and they already building an extention to make it even bigger :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending