The Student Room Group

Lose body fat and build muscle?

Can we do this simultaneously? I m asking because I feel like I still have a bit of excessive body fat, and need to reduce some pounds. But I d like to not become skinny, as being skinny isn’t the ultimate goal. So is it possible that I don’t have to wait to get skinny and only then start building muscle? If I could, even if less intensively, while I lose weight gain some muscle? Not as much as if I were building muscle and eating a lot but.. still
yes u can. its possible to do together
Original post by imconfusion
yes u can. its possible to do together

How?
No, you can't.
Reply 4
Beginners can do this easily. You just need to train hard while eating in a calorie deficit. Pretty much everyone agrees on this. Beyond the beginner stage, this is debatable. It's probably strongly affected by genetics too. At the very least, the more trained someone already is, the harder this becomes.

Muscle growth beyond the beginner stage is already slow enough as it is so trying to do so in a calorie deficit isn't really advisable unless being extremely lean is very important to you. Even if it's possible, it's very far from optimal and might not feel like you're gaining any.
Original post by Kyri
Beginners can do this easily. You just need to train hard while eating in a calorie deficit. Pretty much everyone agrees on this. Beyond the beginner stage, this is debatable. It's probably strongly affected by genetics too. At the very least, the more trained someone already is, the harder this becomes.

Muscle growth beyond the beginner stage is already slow enough as it is so trying to do so in a calorie deficit isn't really advisable unless being extremely lean is very important to you. Even if it's possible, it's very far from optimal and might not feel like you're gaining any.

Can also be done at maintainance.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r

How?
Reply 7
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r

Yes, you're right.
Original post by Eccentric Goatie
How?

Eat the amount of calories that keeps your body weight the same, while training hard and taking in sufficient protein. The surplus energy required to build new muscle will come from stored fat. This is sometime called body recomposition but is still a very slow process if you're not a beginner.
You can only in specific scenarios. Either you are a complete newbie to building muscle/working out or have taken a long time off of working out (6+ months). The latter is rebuilding muscle you may have lost due to the very powerful effect of muscle memory. If you do not fall into either of these categories it is near impossible unless you are enhanced. I'd recommend searching YouTube for Jeff Nippard's videos on the subject as he references everything he says with the relevant scientific studies. I found it informative.

Quick Reply

Latest