The Student Room Group

SFE refused to pay for tuition fee

Hey guys so basically I am having problem with SFE I basically did 2years of foundation degree and passed both year in my university and the SFE did pay for those two years however I have decided to top up complete my bachelor degree which is another 3,4 year but the SFC is refusing to pay for my tuition fee for the first year because I did 2 year of foundation degree. They have asked me to send them CPR form but I don’t really have any personal reason for why I did that course the only reason I have is because it’s a foundation degree course and it is suppose to be 2year. I did tell them that but they just kept on repeating send us the CPR form so I don’t really know what to do??
Is there any other way I can get loan from. My uni is starting soon and I am confused as hell rn
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Are you doing a 1 year top-up course, or a full new undergraduate degree? If the former you should get funding, if the latter you may not be eligible for a tuition fee loan for first year due to your years of prior study in HE - however because the new qualification is not an ELQ one, that might allow you to be eligible for funding still...@PQ might know in the latter case?
Original post by Bhumi22
Hey guys so basically I did 2year of foundation degree in my university and the SFE did pay for those two years however I have decided to continue studying and complete my bachelor degree which is another 3,4 year but the SFC is refusing to pay for my tuition fee the first year because I did 2 year of foundation degree. They have asked me to send them my CPR form but I don’t really have any personal reason for why I did that course. I did tell them that but they just kept on repeating send us the CPR form so I don’t really know what to do??
Is there any other way I can get loan from. My uni is starting soon and I am confused as hell rn

sorry, do you mean you have a level 5 foundation degree? if so you should only need 1 year to get your bachelor's not 3?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Are you doing a 1 year top-up course, or a full new undergraduate degree? If the former you should get funding, if the latter you may not be eligible for a tuition fee loan for first year due to your years of prior study in HE - however because the new qualification is not an ELQ one, that might allow you to be eligible for funding still...@PQ might know in the latter case?

Original post by claireestelle
sorry, do you mean you have a level 5 foundation degree? if so you should only need 1 year to get your bachelor's not 3?

Yes but when I did the foundation degree course I only got pass and I can only go to year 3 straight if I get like A or A*. I wouldn’t do 2year foundation degree if I knew that earlier but they told us after we started the course so yh🤦🏻*♀️
Original post by Bhumi22
Yes but when I did the foundation degree course I only got pass and I can only go to year 3 straight if I get like A or A*. I wouldn’t do 2year foundation degree if I knew that earlier but they told us after we started the course so yh🤦🏻*♀️

ah that's where the issue is, were there no top up degrees that would take your straight for 3rd year?
Reply 5
ah that's where the issue is, were there no top up degrees that would take your straight for 3rd year?

No I don’t think so and it is kind of late now for me to change🤦🏻*♀️ .. they said they will still give me my maintenance Loan... do I have to live outside my parents house to get the maintenance loan??
Original post by Bhumi22
No I don’t think so and it is kind of late now for me to change🤦🏻*♀️ .. they said they will still give me my maintenance Loan... do I have to live outside my parents house to get the maintenance loan??

no you don't have to live outside of your parents, it will just be a lower amount if you do
Original post by Bhumi22

they shouldve asked you whether youd be living at home or not. I got a maintenance loan and I told them I'm living at home so.. but make sure you told them the right info, because I think they give you more if you live away from home, and if you declare things wrong they may ask for it back
Reply 8
Original post by nursingstudentuk
they shouldve asked you whether youd be living at home or not. I got a maintenance loan and I told them I'm living at home so.. but make sure you told them the right info, because I think they give you more if you live away from home, and if you declare things wrong they may ask for it back

Ohh okay I see okay then I will try to get the tuition fee and if I don’t then I might aswell get the maintenance loan and pay that to university... aghhhh this is so stressful
Reply 9
no you don't have to live outside of your parents, it will just be a lower amount if you do

Okay I see... might apply for it, if I don’t get the tuition fee
Original post by Bhumi22
Ohh okay I see okay then I will try to get the tuition fee and if I don’t then I might aswell get the maintenance loan and pay that to university... aghhhh this is so stressful

oh dear, Im sorry to hear about all of this. It does sound really stressful. Do you have a part time job? You may need one to help pay for everything?
Reply 11
oh dear, Im sorry to hear about all of this. It does sound really stressful. Do you have a part time job? You may need one to help pay for everything?

Yes I do have a part time job but I don’t earn a lot..
Original post by Bhumi22
Yes I do have a part time job but I don’t earn a lot..

Well, with a maintenance loan, part time job, and the fact you are living at home, you must be able to do it I reckon! Have you tried budgeting and maybe speaking to your parents about it? Id make sure you dont have any expensive habits now. Now's a good time to quit drinking or smoking if you currently do.
Reply 13
Well, with a maintenance loan, part time job, and the fact you are living at home, you must be able to do it I reckon! Have you tried budgeting and maybe speaking to your parents about it? Id make sure you dont have any expensive habits now. Now's a good time to quit drinking or smoking if you currently do.

Yh if I don’t get the tuition fee then I will have to do it no matter what😖 I will sell my kidney😂jks but yh I don’t really want to stress my mom a lot about this bs she’a been through a lot but yh it’s very stressful adulting is harddd
Original post by Bhumi22
Yh if I don’t get the tuition fee then I will have to do it no matter what😖 I will sell my kidney😂jks but yh I don’t really want to stress my mom a lot about this bs she’a been through a lot but yh it’s very stressful adulting is harddd

I would say maybe you could do a full-time job while at uni... but is that even possible? :s-smilie:
Original post by Bhumi22
Hey guys so basically I am having problem with SFE I basically did 2years of foundation degree and passed both year in my university and the SFE did pay for those two years however I have decided to top up complete my bachelor degree which is another 3,4 year but the SFC is refusing to pay for my tuition fee for the first year because I did 2 year of foundation degree. They have asked me to send them CPR form but I don’t really have any personal reason for why I did that course the only reason I have is because it’s a foundation degree course and it is suppose to be 2year. I did tell them that but they just kept on repeating send us the CPR form so I don’t really know what to do??

Only read halfway through, but I believe they are wrong unless ive missed something or you havent told us the full story.
1. Finance is degree length +1.
2. You did a foundation which is 2 years?
3. Finance goes to degree length -1.
4. You should be good to go from year 2 onwards because of your gift year.
5. Ask them to explain it like that.
6. I assumed you were after a top up or starting from Y2.
Your best bet might be to look at credit transfer with the OU and completing your degree there, since a) part-time funding is a separate "pot" from full time funding, except in the case of ELQ and b) even if the ELQ rules do apply to you the credit transfer should hopefully allow you to complete just the final year of your course. Also OU study is always classified as part-time regardless of intensity, so you could study at full time intensity (i.e. 120 credits in a year) and still be classified as part time for fee purposes as above. Of course, the major caveat is that you don't get a maintenance loan with the OU, so you would need to look at working or living with your family if you are able.

Otherwise you could look at part-time degree options elsewhere at brick unis, and see if you are eligible for funding for those due to the separate pot of funding for PT courses. If you are then it would be clear that it's not the ELQ issue which is a barrier to funding, it's the number of years of prior funding in full time study. In that case you could do a full degree in part-time mode and be fully funded (with tuition fee and, provided it is an in-person course, maintenance loan). Bear in mind though maintenance loans are pro-rata'd for part time study, so you wouldn't get as much as you are getting now (but you will have more time to look for part time work to support yourself through the degree). Outside of the OU part-time study intensity is designated as any that is 75% or less of full time study, so you could get the degree potentially only in a year or two more than you would full time (and if you are quite proactive, maybe even get a good amount of part-time work experience in your career sector).
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
Only read halfway through, but I believe they are wrong unless ive missed something or you havent told us the full story.
1. Finance is degree length +1.
2. You did a foundation which is 2 years?
3. Finance goes to degree length -1.
4. You should be good to go from year 2 onwards because of your gift year.
5. Ask them to explain it like that.
6. I assumed you were after a top up or starting from Y2.

Yes I did 2year foundation degree and I tried to explain them everything so therefore they want me to send CPR letter now which I will do trm. The funny thing is all of my other friends who did the same course as me for 2years is getting it
Reply 18
I would say maybe you could do a full-time job while at uni... but is that even possible? :s-smilie:

I want to do it but I won’t have enough time to focus in my studies😩
Original post by Bhumi22
I want to do it but I won’t have enough time to focus in my studies😩

I know how you feel! Hopefully part time will be enough, just dont get into any illegal activities! :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending