The Student Room Group

Oxford Law - GCSE grades

I am currently a year 13 student and I really wanted your honest and realistic opinions about applying to Oxford to study law.

I know that Law is a very competitive course with many students applying with top GCSE AS and A Level Results.

Unfortunately, my GCSE grades were not the best: I received grades 87766665 A*(ICT Ingots).
My AS Results were AAB and my predicted grades are A*A*A after working very hard last year.
I understand that the LNAT exams and personal statements are considered so hypothetically speaking if I performed above average in those too - considering all of those factors, would I stand a chance?

Oxford does prioritise GCSE's and so I wanted some realistic advice as to whether it would be worth applying or not because the applications are due in October so if there was a chance I could reconsider rescheduling everything for earlier. On the other hand, if I frankly didn't have a high chance of getting in, i could push my LNAT exams back and apply for other universities.

Another option I was thinking of was that if I received good A Level grades, I could take a gap year to reapply and in that gap year I could retake two of my GCSE exams which could push my grades to:
99876665 A*(ICT Ingots)

In that case, would it still be realistic to reapply? I know that this is quite lengthy.

Also, I was wondering if there are any colleges that don't prioritise GCSE's as strongly as others so that I could try to apply to those if it's better.

Thanks!!!!!
Firstly, all colleges value GCSEs the same - or at least they should.

GCSEs are important for Oxford law. GCSE score and LNAT score are combined to make an initial ranking of applicants pre interview. The higher your ranking, the more likely you are to be interviewed.

Note that the GCSE score is calculated based on the school you went to, I.e. if you went to an underperforming school you score with those grades would be higher than if you went to a top school.

If you apply you will need to do very well on the LNAT and interview to account for below average GCSE performance. And I will end with the obvious point that the only certainty is that you won't get in if you don't apply.
Reply 2
As above. Universities wouldn't usually consider a GCSE resit grade after A levels - it's a little bit like finishing your GCSEs and resitting your year 6 SATs - the increase in score is inevitable
Reply 3
Original post by ghjajkfa
As above. Universities wouldn't usually consider a GCSE resit grade after A levels - it's a little bit like finishing your GCSEs and resitting your year 6 SATs - the increase in score is inevitable

Oh yikes - I did not know that thanks!!! In that case then I'll just have to work my hardest this month to account for my GCSE's. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending