The Student Room Group

Was this a blunt response?

I said happy birthday to a friend ...I haven’t spoken to them in ages but we were close in school. Admittedly he is really good looking but I messaged him on insta replying to his story saying happy birthday and that I hoped he was well...

And all he replied was haha thanks’ am I wrong in thinking that was blunt? He didn’t ask how I was? Or wished that I was well. I’m really offended and now I feel ugly because he obviously doesn’t think I’m good looking enough to converse with
no its fine
if u wanted u could say something more like how he celebrated..
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I said happy birthday to a friend ...I haven’t spoken to them in ages but we were close in school. Admittedly he is really good looking but I messaged him on insta replying to his story saying happy birthday and that I hoped he was well...

And all he replied was haha thanks’ am I wrong in thinking that was blunt? He didn’t ask how I was? Or wished that I was well. I’m really offended and now I feel ugly because he obviously doesn’t think I’m good looking enough to converse with

That's a perfectly reasonable response. Would you have messaged him if it wasn't his birthday wishing him well? I doubt it. You are overthinking it, and it really isn't fair for you to put words into his mouth like this. He was polite. You wished him happy birthday and he said thanks. When it's your birthday and people wish you happy birthday, do you ask every single person how they are, especially if they aren't relevant to your life? Try not to get caught up in it.
Original post by DrawTheLine
That's a perfectly reasonable response. Would you have messaged him if it wasn't his birthday wishing him well? I doubt it. You are overthinking it, and it really isn't fair for you to put words into his mouth like this. He was polite. You wished him happy birthday and he said thanks. When it's your birthday and people wish you happy birthday, do you ask every single person how they are, especially if they aren't relevant to your life? Try not to get caught up in it.

i think u OVERSTEPPED THE LINE , buddy
she just asked u
i think u OVERSTEPPED THE LINE , buddy
she just asked u

Tone is hard to convey over a screen.
Reply 6
Id have said the same thing. Did you expect them to go off on a long rant about their birthday or something?
Tone is sometimes difficult to convey in texts, by nature they're without emotion and simply a message.

It does look like you're over-analysing it.
Reply 8

True I suppose..although we aren’t irrelevant in our lives. He knows my family pretty well. I think I would’ve taken his response better if I had just said happy birthday’ but I said I hoped he was well etc and he didn’t reciprocate that so I’m overthinking it lol
Reply 9
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Id have said the same thing. Did you expect them to go off on a long rant about their birthday or something?

No but I hope you’re well too’ would’ve been nice. I would’ve reciprocated that if it was me but I guess not everyone is the same
True I suppose..although we aren’t irrelevant in our lives. He knows my family pretty well. I think I would’ve taken his response better if I had just said happy birthday’ but I said I hoped he was well etc and he didn’t reciprocate that so I’m overthinking it lol

To him it probably just sounded like a bit of small talk, like how if you bump into someone you know at the supermarket and you exchange a little "oh hi, how are you, hope you're alright" as you pass each other.
Reply 11
To him it probably just sounded like a bit of small talk, like how if you bump into someone you know at the supermarket and you exchange a little "oh hi, how are you, hope you're alright" as you pass each other.

Yeah that's just pleasantries rather than the start of an exchange.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending