The Student Room Group

Driving

Sorry If in the wrong place I'm new first time posting, so I just wanted to get this off my chest I was taking driving lessons before I have taken over 100 lessons and taken 4 tests all of which I have failed already spent a fortune than after failing the 4th test my theory ran out and I stopped taking lessons now after 2 years I have bought a car and got insured and my husband started teaching me and on the 3rd day of driving on a right turn I panicked and scraped the whole of another car, my husband kept on telling me brake and I kept my foot on the accellrater I stopped in the middle of the road and couldn't move, I feel so useless I just don't understand driving it seems so difficult or its just me whos dumb, after so many lessons I still don't know how to parallel park or reverse around a corner I still stall the car, my husband says its ok these things happen and I will learn from this mistake but i dont seem to in the past. has anyone else been through a similar situation or taken that long to learn . Any tips tricks and advice would really be appreciated thanks in advance
Reply 1
I have not had a situation in a car but a similar situation in maths. You need someone who is helpful to provide you with insightful knowledge and help you every step of the way, you should not give up at all, you should tackle the hard parts of driving, you should keep practising and not stopping, you should even do extra practice. Just don't give up and believe in your self. Practice does make perfect.
Reply 2
I'm sorry but maybe driving isn't for you.
Reply 3
So let me get this straight:

- You took over 100 lessons and still failed
- 4 driving tests and still failed

Great, that's fine. But then you decide to stop taking lessons for two years, buy a car, get insured and risk others in danger?
Reply 4
Original post by Medcalf
I have not had a situation in a car but a similar situation in maths. You need someone who is helpful to provide you with insightful knowledge and help you every step of the way, you should not give up at all, you should tackle the hard parts of driving, you should keep practising and not stopping, you should even do extra practice. Just don't give up and believe in your self. Practice does make perfect.

Thank you for the encouragement I really do want to drive just need more practice I guess. Did you get better at maths than?
Reply 5
Original post by Xarao
So let me get this straight:

- You took over 100 lessons and still failed
- 4 driving tests and still failed

Great, that's fine. But then you decide to stop taking lessons for two years, buy a car, get insured and risk others in danger?

Yeh I had to stop lessons because I had a baby after that and learning to drive with baby was difficult thats why I stopped and no I didn't mean to put anyone in danger at all that's the last thing I want I just didn't want to give up I really wanted to be able to drive I was just trying and that happened unfortunately 😔
Reply 6
Original post by elyiot
I'm sorry but maybe driving isn't for you.

Thanks for taking your time to reply 🙂
Reply 7
Original post by Sabz001
Yeh I had to stop lessons because I had a baby after that and learning to drive with baby was difficult thats why I stopped and no I didn't mean to put anyone in danger at all that's the last thing I want I just didn't want to give up I really wanted to be able to drive I was just trying and that happened unfortunately 😔

That's fine, but where in the hell did you think buying a car and getting it insured was a smart idea? Just keep taking lessons/find a new instructor.
Reply 8
Original post by Xarao
That's fine, but where in the hell did you think buying a car and getting it insured was a smart idea? Just keep taking lessons/find a new instructor.

I just thought that way I will be able to get more practice in alongside lessons when this cronavirus stuff is over and lessons resume
Reply 9
Original post by Sabz001
I just thought that way I will be able to get more practice in alongside lessons when this cronavirus stuff is over and lessons resume

Yeah I understand. It's just not worth the risk or the money tbh. You're better off with instructors in the end.
Reply 10
My gf failed more times than you and passed on a glorious day. I must admit she doesn’t drive much but enough to collect me from the pub. I think the right instructor is a key, she eventually found a female instructor that she really had a rapport with. Then it’s about persistence, concentration and belief. The thing is to keep going, pass and then you can drive as much or as little as you want. Your husband sound really supportive and nice.
Reply 11
Original post by Zarek
My gf failed more times than you and passed on a glorious day. I must admit she doesn’t drive much but enough to collect me from the pub. I think the right instructor is a key, she eventually found a female instructor that she really had a rapport with. Then it’s about persistence, concentration and belief. The thing is to keep going, pass and then you can drive as much or as little as you want. Your husband sound really supportive and nice.

Thank you I will keep trying as you say your girlfriend passed even after failing so many times which means there may be hope for me too, do you not drive yourself?
Reply 12
Original post by Sabz001
Thank you I will keep trying as you say your girlfriend passed even after failing so many times which means there may be hope for me too, do you not drive yourself?

👍 Yes I drive and did the advanced test which is where I came across the instructor that my gf clicked with. I don’t particularly enjoy driving, it is a bit of a jungle out there, but it’s a useful skill to have. Even experienced drivers find some situations stressful and make mistakes. I’d recommend RoSPA or IAM advanced driving down the line. You’ll get there.
Original post by Sabz001
Thanks for taking your time to reply 🙂

shame it was such a bloody unhelpful reply! "maybe it isnt for you"... what a silly thing to say! I'm sure you can learn, it's just taking a long time. Some people take longer to learn certain things!
Reply 14
Original post by nursingstudentuk
shame it was such a bloody unhelpful reply! "maybe it isnt for you"... what a silly thing to say! I'm sure you can learn, it's just taking a long time. Some people take longer to learn certain things!

To be honest when writing this I knew there's going to be people like that so I was open to constructive criticism, not everyone is as nice as you thank you i do hope I pass one day
Original post by Sabz001
To be honest when writing this I knew there's going to be people like that so I was open to constructive criticism, not everyone is as nice as you thank you i do hope I pass one day

np, and well there you go then ^^ If you want it badly, you will succeed. Simple as, ignore that other asshat :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 16
First: This is more suited for the cars and motoring forum.

Second: You are going to need a lot better instruction tbh. A lot better....
Reply 17
Original post by FRS500
First: This is more suited for the cars and motoring forum.

Second: You are going to need a lot better instruction tbh. A lot better....

I did say I didn't know if its in the right place and lot better instruction for what?

Quick Reply

Latest