The Student Room Group

University of Leeds A100 2021 entry

Welcome to the Leeds A100 2021 entry discussion.

Leeds A100 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5934012

For general information click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb

For entry requirements click: https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb#section3

Leeds A100 / A101 Offer Holders' thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6977811

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, I’m applying for 2021.

Anyone else?
Does anyone know what the points cut off for interview selection was last year?
Hey guys, if anyone’s who has got a place via the A2L route for medicine (ABB), I would really appreciate it if you could let me know your stats (A Levels, GCSE, BMAT) so I can work out if I have a chance of receiving an interview for 2021 entry. Thank you so much!
Reply 4
Could I get some advise please
What was the cut off last year for an interview
I score 21/27 for GCSE
AAA predicted A levels
Even if I get the top band for BMAT - my total score will only be 34
Should I not apply to Leeds ?
Reply 5
Original post by dxnixl
Yep, I’m applying for 2021.

Anyone else?

Thinking of applying
Does anyone know the cut off for last year
My score would be 34/40 even if I get top band in BMAT . Is that good enough or too low for Leeds ?
Original post by Bitooo
Thinking of applying
Does anyone know the cut off for last year
My score would be 34/40 even if I get top band in BMAT . Is that good enough or too low for Leeds ?

I think the cut off has been 37 in previous years, so I would recommend applying to places that don't score GCSEs. Do you know your ucat score yet?
Reply 7
Original post by rocketleaguefan
I think the cut off has been 37 in previous years, so I would recommend applying to places that don't score GCSEs. Do you know your ucat score yet?

Not that great .
That’s the reason I’m doing BMAT
hey guys, has it been confirmed leeds are using the same points system as last year? ie out of 40. i’m struggling to find info on their website and its notoriously hard to find out the exact scoring.
from what ive gathered from last year i have 35/40 pre BMAT so hoping i’ll have a good chance at interview :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by zarav_
hey guys, has it been confirmed leeds are using the same points system as last year? ie out of 40. i’m struggling to find info on their website and its notoriously hard to find out the exact scoring.
from what ive gathered from last year i have 35/40 pre BMAT so hoping i’ll have a good chance at interview :smile:

I think it’s:

- GCSEs/AS score out of 27 where either:
AAA at AS would give the full 27 points
OR
The 9 best GCSE grades are ranked where a 9/8/A* = 3 points, A/7 = 2 points and B/6 =1 point.

- Predicted Grades /8
Getting an AAA prediction would give the full 8 points

- BMAT /5
Getting a score within the lowest 20% of applicants = 1 point, 20-40% of applicants = 2 points etc.

I’ve got 34/40 points pre-BMAT so i’m hoping too heh :smile:
Leeds only look at 8 GCSEs as of this year. The total score for the GCSE section is out of 24 and the total including the BMAT and a levels is 37.
The points system is still the same in terms of GCSEs.
The percentage weightings are as follows for the initial sift of applications:
GCSE or AS 64.9%
A2 21.6%
BMAT 13.5%
Original post by randomdude456
For GCSEs i am 21/24 and AAA gives 8/8 so so far I am 29/32. Would it be risky applying and do I need a high bmat

Last year's cut off was 37/40 so you could only afford to drop 3 points.

So yes, you'll need to score a high BMAT to have even the slightest chance.

Tbh I wouldn't even risk Leeds if I were you, but obviously it's your choice and your risk to take.

Original post by randomdude456
do you know what sort of score is considered high for leeds?

Don't know if up-to-date but the Medic Portal says: https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/bmat-universities-use-score-2018-entry-part-two/

Leeds ranks applicants on their overall BMAT score, using the ranking to separate students into 5 bands. Those in the top 20% are placed in the top band, awarded the full 5 points. Those in the bottom 20% are placed in the lowest band, awarded 1 point. This mean Leeds does not have a BMAT cut off score.

An applicant’s total BMAT score is calculated as the sum of each section, but with Section 3 given half the weighting of the other sections. This is because Section 3 “will be revisited during the interview stage of the selection process.” This means you are likely to be questioned on your essay at some point during Leeds’ MMI.

For 2015 entry, the minimum score for BMAT was 8.25 and highest 21.25.

Oh and make sure you have a look at Leeds A100 2020 (last year's) thread, you may find some information there too.

Reply 13
Original post by lewisedge
Leeds only look at 8 GCSEs as of this year. The total score for the GCSE section is out of 24 and the total including the BMAT and a levels is 37.
The points system is still the same in terms of GCSEs.
The percentage weightings are as follows for the initial sift of applications:
GCSE or AS 64.9%
A2 21.6%
BMAT 13.5%

Could you add a link to where it says this?
Hi I'm wanting to apply to Leeds for medicine in 2021, I have 4 8s, 2 7s and 4 6s for my GCSEs, but I also have 3As for my AS levels which include both Biology and Chemistry and I have 3As as my predicted grades, do you think I have a good chance for an interview?
Original post by asmita0401
Hi I'm wanting to apply to Leeds for medicine in 2021, I have 4 8s, 2 7s and 4 6s for my GCSEs, but I also have 3As for my AS levels which include both Biology and Chemistry and I have 3As as my predicted grades, do you think I have a good chance for an interview?

No.

For Leeds, inidividual GCSE subjects are scored:
Grade 8/9 = 3 points
Grade 7 = 2 points
Grade 6 = 1 points

Your GCSEs would give you 12 + 4 + 2 (only 8 subjects are scored) = 18 points, out of a maximum 24

Even with perfect A-Levels and BMAT you'd still be 6 points down.

Last year you could only have dropped 3 points and would have missed the cut off. Sorry, Leeds is not a wise choice.

As far as I knew they gave the full 24 points for 3 As in AS levels which I have
As far as I knew they gave the full 24 points for 3 As in AS levels which I have

Oh excellent, in that case you may be OK.

I hope so as I really want to go there, if my AS levels give me 24 points and my predicted grades give me 8 points, how well would I have to do on the BMAT?
I hope so as I really want to go there, if my AS levels give me 24 points and my predicted grades give me 8 points, how well would I have to do on the BMAT?

Aim to get the highest score, there's no point going for a specific score.

Also, check out last year's (i.e. 2020) Leeds thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5934012

Latest

Trending

Trending