The Student Room Group

thinking about uni degrees and I'm stuck

Hello, So I am in yr 13 and my personal statement is non-existent and I haven't really done much research and haven't honed down on one course/degree. The main problem area for me is that I have slight interests in multiple degrees which is problematic to say the least. How could I research effectively and without wasting too much time to find a course that I could really like. What are some strategies for doing such research? I know that personal goals and dreams should be the guidance but I don't really have something like that and thus I am stuck. Honestly every time I think of progressing my research I just get so overwhelmed I stop pretty much immediately.
As a reference the degrees that somewhat intrigue me are:
Liberal arts
history of arts
classics/ancient history
psychology
criminology or possibly a joint course with something else
interior design or decorating
anthropology
philosophy but as a joint course with something else
Hi, please don't panic! As your courses are so varied- academic study of art history, creative degree aiming for a specific career (interior design), broader academic subjects studying the past or the human mind... I think it will take a bit of personal reflection to think where you want the degree to get you, as in what career. Do you want to be qualified in criminology to work in a corresponding career? Or be an interior designer? Work experience as well as reflecting on your personal strengths and what you would enjoy will really help.
If this is a little much, maybe think what you would like to study? I know that sounds obvious, but for me for example I have always loved history and english and picking was very difficult- however I realised I preferred the way you study history to the way you study english- and left my love of literature to a hobby. You can be interested in all of those subjects, but you don't have to get qualified in them.
To avoid picking something super quickly and later changing course, I would genuinely recommend taking a gap year and applying then. I feel the potential careers from these are quite broad and different, and you would probably suit some much better than others, and some subjects too. I'm 20 and remember people having these dilemmas at a-level- science or humanities? Arts or 'academic' subjects? And for them that was just a stressful time they look back on now knowing things worked out. I think with time it will become clear.
I also just wanted to say that if you do pick one and later change your mind, you can always change it again. You could get a psychology degree and work in that field, and then change in your late 20s/30s/40s and go into interior design and have had two great careers. I hope this helps, best of luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by historynerd47
Hi, please don't panic! As your courses are so varied- academic study of art history, creative degree aiming for a specific career (interior design), broader academic subjects studying the past or the human mind... I think it will take a bit of personal reflection to think where you want the degree to get you, as in what career. Do you want to be qualified in criminology to work in a corresponding career? Or be an interior designer? Work experience as well as reflecting on your personal strengths and what you would enjoy will really help.
If this is a little much, maybe think what you would like to study? I know that sounds obvious, but for me for example I have always loved history and english and picking was very difficult- however I realised I preferred the way you study history to the way you study english- and left my love of literature to a hobby. You can be interested in all of those subjects, but you don't have to get qualified in them.
To avoid picking something super quickly and later changing course, I would genuinely recommend taking a gap year and applying then. I feel the potential careers from these are quite broad and different, and you would probably suit some much better than others, and some subjects too. I'm 20 and remember people having these dilemmas at a-level- science or humanities? Arts or 'academic' subjects? And for them that was just a stressful time they look back on now knowing things worked out. I think with time it will become clear.
I also just wanted to say that if you do pick one and later change your mind, you can always change it again. You could get a psychology degree and work in that field, and then change in your late 20s/30s/40s and go into interior design and have had two great careers. I hope this helps, best of luck :smile:

I have actually contemplated taking a gap year to sort everything out but the whole economic and job aspects have been affected by the pandemic and travel or work experience could be difficult and if i was taking a gap year I would like to learn some stuff and gain skills and the such. But the whole pandemic is messing with things. Also I dont know if you know this but if you defer from your uni of choice would you be able to change either the uni or the course?
Original post by Zosia_
I have actually contemplated taking a gap year to sort everything out but the whole economic and job aspects have been affected by the pandemic and travel or work experience could be difficult and if i was taking a gap year I would like to learn some stuff and gain skills and the such. But the whole pandemic is messing with things. Also I dont know if you know this but if you defer from your uni of choice would you be able to change either the uni or the course?

I totally get it about the gap year, it's a really hard time for that. I would hope that another year on work experience would be more possible but who knows?
Changing uni/course varies a lot in terms of how easy it is- transferring can be fairly straightforward, sometimes easier once you're at uni to change to another one/another course at the same uni. But yes, you're never locked in to a course but it can be awkward to move. I heard on another forum you can reapply on ucas whilst at uni, so I would imagine that you could change uni having defered- just keep in touch with your department you're in at and the admissions of the uni you're moving too. I think course changing would be easier when you have started at the uni. What I would say is that once you have a place, universities are typically very helpful if you just call them (the admissions or your tutor) and talk through what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest