The Student Room Group

Working class at posh uni

I’ve just started at Edinburgh and I have NEVER seen anything like this in my life.
I met 2 people that didn’t go to private school. Everyone is English. No one understands my accent in my own country.
We’re so culturally different - everyone was shocked I haven’t been on holidays and was wondering why I don’t have real AirPods or a MacBook 😅
Everyone also dresses SO strange. I like to dress up and have eyelashes and tan and people are honestly going about like they’re homeless but it’s the fashion and everyone’s wearing it. If I start dressing like that everyone back home will think I’m so odd.
I’m here on a full scholarship / bursary and I feel so bloody out of place.

Is anyone else in the same position at a posh uni ??
Reply 1
Also it’s so scary to me looking at the inequalities in the distribution of wealth within the city. It’s horrible seeing so many millionaires stepping over homeless people in the street.
I was out with some people and they were literally like ewwww look at the beggars.i couldn’t believe their attitude to it
oh thats sucks and i know the feeling about feeling out at place at uni
maybe try and join lots of societies and maybe u will find people like u
???

This must be a troll post. I'm from Edinburgh and studied at Edinburgh. I went to a state school. I was part of like 6 societies, took 3 different subjects and most people I met at uni were from state schools while the minority were from private schools. Regardless, I noticed absolutely no discrimination or inequality.

Sure, I knew some random people who were clearly millionaires but they were only a handful of international students.

I'm really not sure why you're spreading falsehoods about the university or the city...
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve just started at Edinburgh and I have NEVER seen anything like this in my life.
I met 2 people that didn’t go to private school. Everyone is English. No one understands my accent in my own country.
We’re so culturally different - everyone was shocked I haven’t been on holidays and was wondering why I don’t have real AirPods or a MacBook 😅
Everyone also dresses SO strange. I like to dress up and have eyelashes and tan and people are honestly going about like they’re homeless but it’s the fashion and everyone’s wearing it. If I start dressing like that everyone back home will think I’m so odd.
I’m here on a full scholarship / bursary and I feel so bloody out of place.

Is anyone else in the same position at a posh uni ??

Poor dude going to Edinburgh. Thanks to that bursary and the maintenance loan I take home more than my family back in England (who coincidentally are on benefits from Disability... the taxpayer sure raised me up! XD)

I never actually met any overly posh people, and I've been here for 3 years now (in 4th.)

There are a few people who dress quite outlandish wearing old-style heritage suits and the like, but they're really nice people and don't act posh, it's just good fun. I also don't know many English people, most people I know are exchange students: there are loads of them.

I haven't actually seen many folks with fake eyelashes and tan though. Most females I know prefer the more natural look, although I do know one who wears plenty of makeup and does it with amazing panache.
yep, that's why I'm going UoB. My people.
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
???

This must be a troll post. I'm from Edinburgh and studied at Edinburgh. I went to a state school. I was part of like 6 societies, took 3 different subjects and most people I met at uni were from state schools while the minority were from private schools. Regardless, I noticed absolutely no discrimination or inequality.

Sure, I knew some random people who were clearly millionaires but they were only a handful of international students.

I'm really not sure why you're spreading falsehoods about the university or the city...

Well it’s changed since you were there then.

Also I’ve met a lot of people who say they aren’t posh when they completely are, you could be one of those people for all I know I don’t know anything about you. You can still be posh from state school.

And you didn’t notice the inequality ?? Seriously ?! Youre blind to it then
Reply 7
Original post by Callicious
Poor dude going to Edinburgh. Thanks to that bursary and the maintenance loan I take home more than my family back in England (who coincidentally are on benefits from Disability... the taxpayer sure raised me up! XD)

I never actually met any overly posh people, and I've been here for 3 years now (in 4th.)

There are a few people who dress quite outlandish wearing old-style heritage suits and the like, but they're really nice people and don't act posh, it's just good fun. I also don't know many English people, most people I know are exchange students: there are loads of them.

I haven't actually seen many folks with fake eyelashes and tan though. Most females I know prefer the more natural look, although I do know one who wears plenty of makeup and does it with amazing panache.

I’m mind blown at you saying you’ve only met a few posh people - everyone is so so posh !!

Bear in mind it’s harder for me to meet a variety of people with Covid restrictions
Well it’s changed since you were there then.

Also I’ve met a lot of people who say they aren’t posh when they completely are, you could be one of those people for all I know I don’t know anything about you. You can still be posh from state school.

And you didn’t notice the inequality ?? Seriously ?! Youre blind to it then

I literally graduated like 2 years ago and I still live here and occasionally do work at Edinburgh University. Believe it or not, I go to George Square everyday for lunch still.

I've lived in Edinburgh 24 years out of 26 and it's seriously not at all like how you're describing. I also went to one of the worst performing high schools in all of Scotland which is located in Edinburgh... Seriously, you have a warped image of the city and university. :lol:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Callicious

People in my courses used to turn up to lectures in their pyjamas at Appleton. :lol: A guy who went to Eton would come in late to every 9am lecture with a different girl and they always looked as if they came out of a bush or were hit by a tornado...
Original post by 2_versions
yep, that's why I'm going UoB. My people.

yesssss birminghams an amazing city
Can’t believe people are saying Edinburgh isn’t posh. It’s widely known as one of the poshest in the country
Can’t believe people are saying Edinburgh isn’t posh. It’s widely known as one of the poshest in the country

@A Rolling Stone. I think your expertise is needed on this thread. :lol:
I’ve met one other Scottish person
How long have you been there? Also you can be posh and nice you know.
People in my courses used to turn up to lectures in their pyjamas at Appleton. :lol: A guy who went to Eton would come in late to every 9am lecture with a different girl and they always looked as if they came out of a bush or were hit by a tornado...

I live in Musselburgh so to get to Uni I usually go over AS/Holyrood after taking the 124/44/113/26 to Meadowbank House.

I remember fondly one time where it had been raining for 2 weeks, and I had to go to a lecture to give a hand-in in. Decided to go over that muddy slope instead of my usual route, you know the one, the one that all the tourists clamber up coming from the road behind AS.

Slipped down at least 5 times and the gods were busting out a gale, which made things even better. I showed up to Appleton dripping with mud and my hand-in and backpack coated in a thick brown-red crust. T_T My hair too, jesus.

I’m mind blown at you saying you’ve only met a few posh people - everyone is so so posh !!

Bear in mind it’s harder for me to meet a variety of people with Covid restrictions

I only have two friends and I haven't seen them in a year. I'm just talking about random people I see around JCMB XD

@A Rolling Stone. I think your expertise is needed on this thread. :lol:

i went to one of the poshest unis in history and that didn't stop being 'a Tory' there from being a criminal offence punishable by death

Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending