The Student Room Group

Should I keep my uni coursework?

So I've just finished 4 years of uni, I studied design and have many sketchbooks, design boards, samples etc. It's taking up a lot of space in my room and I hate it, I have nowhere else to put it. My room is small and I share it with a family member. I was thinking of taking pictures of all the work and recording it digitally then the physical work can be thrown away. I could show a digital portfolio when applying for jobs instead of in person if corona ever goes away. Is this a good idea or should I keep the physical work? I just don't have the space for it and doubt I will ever show it to anyone in person because I don't want to work with people, I want to be self employed and work online. I could sell some of it but the rest would never be used for anything and if I needed to look back at anything if I have a digital copy then I could look there. Help! Anyone a past design graduate? What did you do with your coursework? What should I do with mine?
Original post by Anonymous
So I've just finished 4 years of uni, I studied design and have many sketchbooks, design boards, samples etc. It's taking up a lot of space in my room and I hate it, I have nowhere else to put it. My room is small and I share it with a family member. I was thinking of taking pictures of all the work and recording it digitally then the physical work can be thrown away. I could show a digital portfolio when applying for jobs instead of in person if corona ever goes away. Is this a good idea or should I keep the physical work? I just don't have the space for it and doubt I will ever show it to anyone in person because I don't want to work with people, I want to be self employed and work online. I could sell some of it but the rest would never be used for anything and if I needed to look back at anything if I have a digital copy then I could look there. Help! Anyone a past design graduate? What did you do with your coursework? What should I do with mine?

I would definitely keep it in some form for a portfolio. Maybe pick out your favourite ones. Could you not store it in an attic, cellar or cupboard under the stairs?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I would definitely keep it in some form for a portfolio. Maybe pick out your favourite ones. Could you not store it in an attic, cellar or cupboard under the stairs?

I don't have an attic, cellar or cupboard under the stairs or any kind of other storage space, my house is small. Even if there was space, I doubt id be allowed to use it. One bedroom has a storage room attached and someone has stuff in there so I can't, I only have half of my room for me and the other half for the family member I share with, it's a really small room. If I had my own room then it would be okay but unfortunately I'll have to share until I'm able to get my own place 😩
Reply 3
I have several heavy boxes of uni files that I only look at very occasionally. They are a bit of nostalgia but certainly not worth the storage space. I wish I had the resolve to sling them out before or now. I certainly wouldn’t really miss them but I’m a bit of a hoarder and can’t do it. I think electronic storage is a great idea if you can’t be ruthless.
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
I have several heavy boxes of uni files that I only look at very occasionally. They are a bit of nostalgia but certainly not worth the storage space. I wish I had the resolve to sling them out before or now. I certainly wouldn’t really miss them but I’m a bit of a hoarder and can’t do it. I think electronic storage is a great idea if you can’t be ruthless.

I'm the same, I want to throw it all away as long as I have a digital copy but at the same time I want to keep hoarding it all in case I will need it and I like some of my design work, If I had the space I'd definitely keep it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending