The Student Room Group

Urgent life help needed

Hi all! I apologise for the dramatic title but I just need some help with an important decision I have to make!

Basically, I have to decide whether I want to commute to Manchester or move to London for an apprenticeship I have been offered. They are both under the same company, with same pay, same contract, same qualification earned but different job titles. In the London role, I would be able to work as a Business Analyst whereas the Manchester role involves working as a Client Advisor Assistant.

The scenario I am having is that moving to London would be super expensive and take more than half my wage on rent whereas Manchester would only take a little chunk for commuting. I would also have to move 6 hours from home if I went to London but in Manchester obviously I'd be able to stay at home.I know I will be extremely homesick in London and I don't have any family there.

However, the reasons I am drawn to taking the London option is that I think I will enjoy being a business analyst more and I will have more opportunities to better network. In addition to this, all the other apprentices would be based in London with me too so I'd probably have a better social life too. That being said, everyone seems lovely in Manchester just they are a little older than me.

All in all, please could I have some guidance/advice? Which seems the best option for me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
Which part of London would you be in?
Reply 3
Original post by Kerzen
Which part of London would you be in?

I'd move to Shoreditch
Reply 4
Original post by Srq1605
I'd move to Shoreditch

Is that where you would be working?
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
Is that where you would be working?

Broadgate circle so like a 15 min walk
Reply 6
Original post by Srq1605
I'd move to Shoreditch

What will be your budget for accommodation on a monthly basis?
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
What will be your budget for accommodation on a monthly basis?

Ideally 700 but I thought if I get closer to my workplace then I can spend a bit more as that would go on transport anyways. But that is like half my wage.
Reply 8
Original post by Srq1605
Ideally 700 but I thought if I get closer to my workplace then I can spend a bit more as that would go on transport anyways. But that is like half my wage.

Would you be happy with a room in a shared flat?

Shoreditch is an expensive area in which to live.

You might want to cast your net a bit further, you could live somewhere like Mile End and get the bus to work each morning quite easily.
Original post by Srq1605
Hi all! I apologise for the dramatic title but I just need some help with an important decision I have to make!

Basically, I have to decide whether I want to commute to Manchester or move to London for an apprenticeship I have been offered. They are both under the same company, with same pay, same contract, same qualification earned but different job titles. In the London role, I would be able to work as a Business Analyst whereas the Manchester role involves working as a Client Advisor Assistant.

The scenario I am having is that moving to London would be super expensive and take more than half my wage on rent whereas Manchester would only take a little chunk for commuting. I would also have to move 6 hours from home if I went to London but in Manchester obviously I'd be able to stay at home.I know I will be extremely homesick in London and I don't have any family there.

However, the reasons I am drawn to taking the London option is that I think I will enjoy being a business analyst more and I will have more opportunities to better network. In addition to this, all the other apprentices would be based in London with me too so I'd probably have a better social life too. That being said, everyone seems lovely in Manchester just they are a little older than me.

All in all, please could I have some guidance/advice? Which seems the best option for me?

Business Analyst, London - find cheaper ways of living.
Original post by Kerzen
Would you be happy with a room in a shared flat?

Shoreditch is an expensive area in which to live.

You might want to cast your net a bit further, you could live somewhere like Mile End and get the bus to work each morning quite easily.

Oh really ok - is it no the same though in bus costs?
Original post by threeportdrift
Business Analyst, London - find cheaper ways of living.

Do you think- even though in manchesger I’d get much more money and be close to home?
Reply 12
Original post by Hdhedhehwowosjdn
Oh really ok - is it no the same though in bus costs?

It's the same bus cost, that is true, it's just that you may have a better choice of affordable accommodation in Mile End. Queen Mary's is there and it's also not far from the Schools of Medicine and Dentistry at the Royal London, so you might find a room in a house with students.

If you don't want to catch the bus on any particular day, you can get the Central Line and be at Liverpool Street in just a few minutes.

Have a look at rooms in flats in Shoreditch if you wish to, I'm just not sure how many bargains there are there.

What kind of company are you joining?
Just a thought. Is your company big? Some companies have schemes that help with moving costs and so on. Might be worth looking into if your heart is set on London. London is very expensive. You are very lucky to have a choice. Well done.:smile:
Original post by Kerzen
It's the same bus cost, that is true, it's just that you may have a better choice of affordable accommodation in Mile End. Queen Mary's is there and it's also not far from the Schools of Medicine and Dentistry at the Royal London, so you might find a room in a house with students.

If you don't want to catch the bus on any particular day, you can get the Central Line and be at Liverpool Street in just a few minutes.

Have a look at rooms in flats in Shoreditch if you wish to, I'm just not sure how many bargains there are there.

What kind of company are you joining?

Oh ok that’s so much for that advice, makes sense! I have seen places for around 650 in Shoreditch but like you said Mile will probably be better as more students there. I’m going into a bank :smile:
Original post by Kutie Karen
Just a thought. Is your company big? Some companies have schemes that help with moving costs and so on. Might be worth looking into if your heart is set on London. London is very expensive. You are very lucky to have a choice. Well done.:smile:

Hi yes it is big! I don’t think there is support in relocating to London as that’s where the original role is and I think because they’ve offered me manchester but in a diff role they probs would just say that. Idk it’s such a hard choice I’m so stuck and I have till today to decide aha! But Thankyou so much :smile:
Reply 16
Hi yes it is big! I don’t think there is support in relocating to London as that’s where the original role is and I think because they’ve offered me manchester but in a diff role they probs would just say that. Idk it’s such a hard choice I’m so stuck and I have till today to decide aha! But Thankyou so much :smile:

The Business Analyst role in London sounds like the better choice to me; it will lay a better foundation for your future career (in my view).
Original post by Kerzen
The Business Analyst role in London sounds like the better choice to me; it will lay a better foundation for your future career (in my view).

Thankyou so much for your advice! Even though I’ll be worse off 30k +?
Reply 18
I've had a look at Rightmove using the postcode for The Botanist, which is in Broadgate Circle. There are more possibilities in your price range than I thought there might be. Some of them are so close to where you would work, you could do door to door in 10 minutes on foot.

Could I suggest that you enquire about the property in Harrow Place? Harrow Place is just the other side of the Devonshire Square complex. Coming out into Harrow Place in the morning, you would walk straight through Devonshire Square, along New Street, across Bishopsgate at the crossing, through Liverpool Street Station and you would be at your desk. Under 10 minutes inc time to get a coffee and no transport costs at all.

I know this area really well - if you would like to ask me about any property which interests you, let me know and I will have a look for you.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E279074&radius=0.5&sortType=1&propertyTypes=&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Thankyou so much for your advice! Even though I’ll be worse off 30k +?

How did you calculate the 30k?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending