The Student Room Group

A Level Help

I was wondering if flashcards were actually a useful way of revising? I have to make them for chem and physics and it will take a lot of time but is it worth it?
People work in different ways

If it works for you go ahead
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
People work in different ways

If it works for you go ahead

Thats not really a direct answer to my question is it? I asked if it was a useful way, as I have never tried it...and was looking for opinions
Original post by .Dezer.
Thats not really a direct answer to my question is it? I asked if it was a useful way, as I have never tried it...and was looking for opinions

It is. A lot of people find it useful for memorisation in the sciences but ymmv whether you personally find it useful. You've got to see what works for you, there aren't really any universally bad revision techniques.
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
It is. A lot of people find it useful for memorisation in the sciences but ymmv whether you personally find it useful. You've got to see what works for you, there aren't really any universally bad revision techniques.

the thing is, i dunno if just revising the chapter then doing all the practice q on it is more effective and less time consuming
Original post by .Dezer.
the thing is, i dunno if just revising the chapter then doing all the practice q on it is more effective and less time consuming

Nothing should replace doing practice questions. You can pick any method you like for learning the content but testing/stretching your knowledge and practicing should always be done with questions. (you dont really know how well youve learnt it otherwise) Though save past papers until closer to the time.
Reply 6
Original post by SAARH.A5
I think the best way to revise for Physics is to attempt as many exam practice questions as you can. Flashcards are good for memorisation and recall of definitions/concepts and equations but not for problem solving.

so for physics use flashcards for equations and stuff to memorize?
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
Nothing should replace doing practice questions. You can pick any method you like for learning the content but testing/stretching your knowledge and practicing should always be done with questions. (you dont really know how well youve learnt it otherwise) Though save past papers until closer to the time.

Ok I think I will make flashcards then...I hope its not a waste of time though....
Reply 8
Original post by SAARH.A5
Yes. You could also try question flashcards. I would recommend a question on one side and the answer on the other using the content info (e.g. notes and textbooks) and specification. I would also recommend using common questions and answers from the mark schemes of exam questions and past papers, to help you hit all the points required to get the mark schemes, with all the keywords and specific words required. You could also do important keywords and their definitions from mark schemes. Use mark schemes to identify key information and take notes. Test yourself until the answers stay in your head and highlighting and going over the ones you tend to keep forgetting until you memorise them. Organise questions per topic.

Cheers will do!

Quick Reply

Latest