Is Preference for an Ethnicity(s) Racist?

Watch
lalalalalalamember
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Do you think it's racist for someone to prefer a girlfriend/boyfriend to be of a certain or specific ethnicity(s) (whatever the reason)?

An example,

- A person who's Brown prefers his/her girlfriend/boyfriend to also be Brown because being someone with the same skin colour helps them feel closer.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
no i don’t think that’s racist. but sometimes minority races are fetishised which makes them uncomfortable. it seems only natural that someone who is asian for example is attracted to other asian people, especially seeing as many of them have been put down for their race by other races, so it makes sense to be attracted to someone of the same race
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Intentionally selecting a partner on the basis of race is racist (obviously).
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
No it’s peoples individual choice.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by lalalalalalamember)
Do you think it's racist for someone to prefer a girlfriend/boyfriend to be of a certain or specific ethnicity(s) (whatever the reason)?

An example,

- A person who's Brown prefers his/her girlfriend/boyfriend to also be Brown because being someone with the same skin colour helps them feel closer.

tbh racial preferences and exclusions when it comes to dating are technically racist imo as you are basing your decision on said persons race, but it is socially acceptable racism.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
yes i agree with this^
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Intentionally selecting a partner on the basis of race is racist (obviously).
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No, I generally prefer 'browns' as I am more attracted to them, in comparison to say 'blacks' and 'whites'
I am not against being with a white or black, I think inter-racial couples are cute. Personally, I would find it too much of a culture clash.

Buggers this sounds racist now.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
No, I generally prefer 'browns' as I am more attracted to them, in comparison to say 'blacks' and 'whites'
I am not against being with a white or black, I think inter-racial couples are cute. Personally, I would find it too much of a culture clash.

Buggers this sounds racist now.
Culture and race are not the same thing.

It sounds racist because it is - whether it's wrong is a different question.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Culture and race are not the same thing.

It sounds racist because it is - whether it's wrong is a different question.
True but generally I find those who are black hold some of their culture and those who are white hold some of their culture and those who are brown hold some of their culture. I don't think it is right to expect not to hold a bit of their culture because that is who they are. And just in brown people there are so many types of culture and I find that a culture shock, I cannot imagine how much of a culture clash it would be with the others

I mix up these btw culture and race and ethnicity.

Originally I was fine with anyone as long as I liked them and they liked me, but having experienced relationships, I understood that I personally don't deal well.
Last edited by SoulfulTwist; 2 months ago
Bagarigak
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would say it is prejudiced but not necessarily racist.

As someone here already mentioned. It is somewhat “socially accepted” to have a preference in regards to race. I think most people do tbh.

Again, as already mentioned, culture is also taken into consideration. Some people associate race with culture. Some people don’t. We live in a strange world.
Last edited by Bagarigak; 2 months ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
True but generally I find those who are black hold some of their culture and those who are white hold some of their culture and those who are brown hold some of their culture. I don't think it is right to expect not to hold a bit of their culture because that is who they are. And just in brown people there are so many types of culture and I find that a culture shock, I cannot imagine how much of a culture clash it would be with the others

I mix up these btw culture and race and ethnicity.

Originally I was fine with anyone as long as I liked them and they liked me, but having experienced relationships, I understood that I personally don't deal well.
There's no such thing as white, brown or black culture (not to mention there are at least a few more races than that). Irish culture is white culture, so is Italian culture, so is Icelandic culture. These cultures are all quite significantly different. Many North Africans are 'brown', as are people from India - there are few cultural similarities between those groups. etc.

Culture is not really divided along racial lines.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There's no such thing as white, brown or black culture (not to mention there are at least a few more races than that). Irish culture is white culture, so is Italian culture, so is Icelandic culture. These cultures are all quite significantly different. Many North Africans are 'brown', as are people from India - there are few cultural similarities between those groups. etc.

I still do not get the difference between culture race and the whole lot. What I mean to say is, depending on where the person is from and family upbringing, they will have their own way of doing things.
If I went on to date long term an Arab or an Italian it would be way too much of a shock, and just trying to find a new way to do things which would not completely take the partner away from their way of life and what they know etc is hard.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think it's more it you would just refuse to date somebody because of their race or a stereotypical culture associated with said race. We all have preferences. I'm black but almost all of the people I've ever been attracted to have been white or brown. That doesn't mean I wouldn't date somebody who was black or any other ethnicity.
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's racist, but it's socially-acceptable.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I still do not get the difference between culture race and the whole lot. What I mean to say is, depending on where the person is from and family upbringing, they will have their own way of doing things.
If I went on to date long term an Arab or an Italian it would be way too much of a shock, and just trying to find a new way to do things which would not completely take the partner away from their way of life and what they know etc is hard.
That might be true sometimes, but there are many people of all races whose culture is more or less British.
Bagarigak
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ramipril)
I think it's more it you would just refuse to date somebody because of their race or a stereotypical culture associated with said race. We all have preferences. I'm black but almost all of the people I've ever been attracted to have been white or brown. That doesn't mean I wouldn't date somebody who was black or any other ethnicity.
Yeah, it can be considered a personal preference like you said. That doesn’t mean it is racist.
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That might be true sometimes, but there are many people of all races whose culture is more or less British.
that's true, you can't really compare someone who is from (example) India, but has lived here their whole life vs someone who is also from India, but came here at an older age. They would most likely have different opinions and ways of life.
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd say it's a socially acceptable form of racism, as others have said.

Finding one race sexually attractive and another sexually repugnant by your own sexual taste seems acceptable, although I wouldn't go round screaming about it.
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I'm black and have been treated by other black people as if I'm not 'black enough' and that I'm ashamed of my race because I don't enjoy typical things supposedly associated with their idea of 'black culture'. I also have black friends who have said they wouldn't date white people because they wouldn't understand their culture and way of life.

As far as I'm concerned, my culture is what I grew up in and what I feel comfortable with, which is your usual 'British culture'. But other people do think differently.
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nobodyy)
Yeah, it can be considered a personal preference like you said. That doesn’t mean it is racist.
Tbh I still wouldn't ever bring this up irl. I know it can come across badly to others and at the end of they day, it's nobody else's business who I'm attracted to or dating.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (117)
28.33%
No - I have already returned home (55)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (120)
29.06%

Watched Threads