The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Dropping an advanced higher

I’m doing advanced higher history and 4 other higher courses. It’s getting too much for me to handle and I want to drop the advanced higher but I’m worried that it will lower my chances to get into university.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m doing advanced higher history and 4 other higher courses. It’s getting too much for me to handle and I want to drop the advanced higher but I’m worried that it will lower my chances to get into university.

Unless your university course specifically requires an Advanced Higher, it won't reduce your chances at the slightest. Scottish universities literally ignore Advanced Highers. All they care about are Highers - no more, no less. Doing an AH even if your university course doesn't require it will not be considered 'impressive'.
(edited 3 years ago)
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Hey! What course are you interested in and how did you get on in your S5 highers? :smile: What other subjects are you doing?

I wouldn't say that Scottish universities don't care about Advanced Highers, that's not necessarily true. We all have slightly different 'stances' when it comes to AHs so it's worth checking out each university's opinion on them. At Strathclyde, we appreciate when an applicant has pushed themselves with an AH, especially if it's in the subject area they want to pursue (i.e. if you wanted to study History at university). For some courses we will recommend an AH - it just depends on the area you're interested in.

With that being said, AH History will never be a core entry requirement. We'd never recommend taking an Advanced Higher just for the sake of it as we know it's a lot of work. When we set our entry requirements (for example if you're working towards AAAABB by the end of S6) - that can be made up of both Highers and Advanced Highers. If you receive a conditional offer and can get the grades you need by studying good Highers that work for the course you're applying for then that's absolutely ok. Sometimes focusing on the doing your Highers well is better than compromising your application when it's impacted by the stress of Advanced Highers.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey! What course are you interested in and how did you get on in your S5 highers? :smile: What other subjects are you doing?

I wouldn't say that Scottish universities don't care about Advanced Highers, that's not necessarily true. We all have slightly different 'stances' when it comes to AHs so it's worth checking out each university's opinion on them. At Strathclyde, we appreciate when an applicant has pushed themselves with an AH, especially if it's in the subject area they want to pursue (i.e. if you wanted to study History at university). For some courses we will recommend an AH - it just depends on the area you're interested in.

With that being said, AH History will never be a core entry requirement. We'd never recommend taking an Advanced Higher just for the sake of it as we know it's a lot of work. When we set our entry requirements (for example if you're working towards AAAABB by the end of S6) - that can be made up of both Highers and Advanced Highers. If you receive a conditional offer and can get the grades you need by studying good Highers that work for the course you're applying for then that's absolutely ok. Sometimes focusing on the doing your Highers well is better than compromising your application when it's impacted by the stress of Advanced Highers.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this!

Last year I received 5 As at higher and I want to go onto to do business or law at university.
Last year I received 5 As at higher and I want to go onto to do business or law at university.

Ok cool! It sounds like you've set yourself up well in your S5, well done :smile: The main focus for this year should be keeping up a good work ethic across the Highers you've got, and thinking of extra curricular things you could get up to to reinforce your application. Law and Business are both super competitive areas, so the stronger your personal statement is alongside your grades the better!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending