The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2021 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by aspiringacademic
Yeah, it is really inspiring. Dw, I'm in a similar position to you and applying with a 66% this year to Oxford and Cambridge, but I'm predicted a First. I don't see why we don't have a shot if we prove our passion and our dedication to our fields. :smile: This year was insane and they will understand that.

funny story for you actually but if you search my name then you'll see that I'm also a YouTuber

if I don't get in then you'll probably see the "I got rejected from Oxford Uni..." video :biggrin: but one can only hope - just sucks that I could've had a 2:1 this year (2nd year) but unless my academic appeal is successful, I'll be on a 55% average this year and have a '0' on my transcript for one of my modules which'd mean I'd have to work even harder next year (3rd year) to get a high 2:1 overall on top of the extra-curricular work I already do. As I learnt to say in GCSE Japanese, ganbatte!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I think I'm going to apply for the medieval studies MSt. My personal tutor is useless though, and has no advice for me.
Hello!
Just came across and commented on the Cambridge Applicants Thread, and I'm guessing quite some people will be common to both, so hopefully I'm not being annoying haha!
Shivani here from India :smile:
I have an offer from Cambridge for October 2020 but unfortunately, I won't be able to take it up because covid delayed my undergrad degree :frown:
I'm quite new to the Oxford applications though, hopefully the two are not very different.

Current University - University of Mumbai
Current Course - Bachelor of Mass Media (Journalism)
Expected Grade - 8.5 or more/10
Prospective Course - MSc Sociology
Other Universities I'm Applying To - Cambridge, LSE, UCL, UPenn, Yale, Columbia, Harvard, Uni of Amsterdam, PSL, KU Leuven

If anybody has anything in common with me, let me know!
Reply 63
Hello everyone
I’m planning to apply for DPhil at Oxford
However, the course is very competitive. Approximately 60 applicants per year and only 5-6 are accepted.
I believe that I meet the entry requirements (I know this is not enough).
I achieved first in my undergraduate degree and successfully completed a master degree with merit (though master degree is not one of the requirements). I have a research paper published.
Research proposal is not required and only CV and a personal statement. So I’m not sure how to make my application stand out?
I mean I'm not sure who will they consider as a competitive candidate?
I really want to apply but at the same time I’m not sure if it will be just a waste of money and effort.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sally-1
Hello everyone
I’m planning to apply for DPhil at Oxford
However, the course is very competitive. Approximately 60 applicants per year and only 5-6 are accepted.
I believe that I meet the entry requirements (I know this is not enough).
I achieved first in my undergraduate degree and successfully completed a master degree with merit (though master degree is not one of the requirements). I have a research paper published.
Research proposal is not required and only CV and a personal statement. So I’m not sure how to make my application stand out?
I mean I'm not sure who will they consider as a competitive candidate?
I really want to apply but at the same time I’m not sure if it will be just a waste of money and effort.

I think your personal statement will be the make or break item, if your grades are excellent. I had the opportunity to read a personal statement of a PhD candidate at an Ivy League, and I was surprised to realise that there was hardly anything personal in it. It was almost entirely about her research. It was written amazingly though. Make sure you show that you've done thorough background reading about the topic you're looking to pursue, elaborate on how you plan to go about it, and stress on how this research is relevant and important. I strongly suggest you track down current candidates (or graduates) of the program you're applying to on LinkedIn (or other platforms) and chat with them, as you would with your prospective supervisors. If you're serious about doing a PhD, I'm very sure it won't be a waste! Graduate applications, at least in my opinion, are great learning experiences. You can do this!
Hi everyone,
I'm applying for the MSc in Modern Middle Eastern Studies. Currently in my third year at the University of Nottingham and I'm at a high 2:1. Don't really know if its worth applying since the course is really competitive and I would probably need a 1st, but going to try anyway!
Reply 66
Original post by goldhazel
I think your personal statement will be the make or break item, if your grades are excellent. I had the opportunity to read a personal statement of a PhD candidate at an Ivy League, and I was surprised to realise that there was hardly anything personal in it. It was almost entirely about her research. It was written amazingly though. Make sure you show that you've done thorough background reading about the topic you're looking to pursue, elaborate on how you plan to go about it, and stress on how this research is relevant and important. I strongly suggest you track down current candidates (or graduates) of the program you're applying to on LinkedIn (or other platforms) and chat with them, as you would with your prospective supervisors. If you're serious about doing a PhD, I'm very sure it won't be a waste! Graduate applications, at least in my opinion, are great learning experiences. You can do this!

Thank you so much, that’s really encouraging.
I would really appreciate it if you can link me to a personal statement for successful PhD candidate.
Original post by sussexgal
Hi, I am applying to Oxford MSc NSEG! Undergrad from Sussex and graduated with a 2.1! Fingers crossed

Hey, I am also from Sussex and applying for NSEG. What subject do you study?
Reply 68
Does anyone know if you can submit your application even if your referees haven't submitted their references? My course requires 3 references so should I wait for at least 2 to be done before I submit my application?
Original post by scoutingfinches
Hi!!!

- Current University: Warwick
- Current Course: French and Hispanic Studies
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: Modern Languages MSt and may possibly also apply for the Comparative Literature and Critical Translation MSt as well but I’m not sure yet hahaha
- Other Universities you’re applying to: definitely UCL, maybe Warwick too? Then again I don’t really want to be staying in the same place for postgrad

I know it’s super early but I’m getting so neurotic over course deadlines and references, and that’s before I work out how I’m even going to fund everything 😬

I'm applying to the MSt Comp Lit and Critical Translation too, best of luck for your application! :smile:
Original post by Bookish_much
I'm applying to the MSt Comp Lit and Critical Translation too, best of luck for your application! :smile:

Amazing!!! Best of luck to you too, which languages are you planning to focus on?
Just finished the first draft of my personal statement earlier today! It's pretty rough and will definitely need a lot of editing but at least I have something! I'm going to ask some friends/family to help edit and hopefully I'll have that done later this week!
Original post by petrichororange
Just finished the first draft of my personal statement earlier today! It's pretty rough and will definitely need a lot of editing but at least I have something! I'm going to ask some friends/family to help edit and hopefully I'll have that done later this week!

That's great!! Mine should be done by the end of this week, but I got another research idea that I might be interested in pursuing instead, so I think I'm gonna write two statements :frown:
Reply 73
People applying who are currently in uni, do you know who you'll ask to proof read your personal statement? I'm not sure who to ask :/
French and Portuguese, what about you? I don’t think I have a strong enough profile but I’m just going to give it a shot anyway!
Reply 75
When is everyone planning on applying? Has anyone applied already
Original post by _lou_99

Trying to get it all done before Christmas.
Reply 77
Original post by _lou_99

I have, for the MSt in Literature and Arts. I had all my papers ready, so I figured I'd apply right away. From what I gather, however, you haven't got anything to gain by applying early (other than avoiding any last-minute stress, I mean), so don't worry if you're not planning on applying any time soon.
Reply 78
Original post by Ana1998
I have, for the MSt in Literature and Arts. I had all my papers ready, so I figured I'd apply right away. From what I gather, however, you haven't got anything to gain by applying early (other than avoiding any last-minute stress, I mean), so don't worry if you're not planning on applying any time soon.

Ah okay thank you!:smile: Goodluck on your application! I want to apply as soon as possible as admissions are usually on a rolling basis so I thought it would be better to apply asap, but havent got nearly everything ready yet
Reply 79
Original post by _lou_99
People applying who are currently in uni, do you know who you'll ask to proof read your personal statement? I'm not sure who to ask :/

Im asking a few friends who are good with these things and one or two professors im somewhat close with (who are also doing my references).

Original post by _lou_99

Hopefully within the next two weeks, what about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending