The Student Room Group

English language paper 1 question 2

Hello so I'm practicing on how to get a good grade in English and I would like to know how many marks I would get for this. I have made many mistakes but I want to improve and I don't know how.

The question is:
How does the writer use language here to describe the Tyrannosaurus Rex? (8 MARKS)

The writer uses language such as a range of similes to give the reader the impression of the Tyrannosaurus Rex as being monstrous and gigantic. An example is when the text says, “examine men like toys”. By using the word “examine” the writer means how the dinosaur sees and using the word “toys” to show how he sees them links to fun and entertainment. So, the simile that says the dinosaur sees men like toys suggests the reader that he is not afraid of them and thinks of them as entertainment. This would give the reader the impression of the dinosaur as unbothered. Another example is when the text describes it as “teeth like daggers”. The word dagger means a knife that is very sharp and was used to stab people. This would give the writer an impression of how the deadly the dinosaur can be. on top of that it also shows how its teeth acted like knives and it would be painful if it goes through your skin and kill you instantly. So the writer has used similes in the text to show how monstrous and enormous the creature is.

The writer uses a range of words and phrases to show the size and huge the dinosaur looks .the texts says “It towered thirty feet above half of the trees”.by using the word “towered “it gives an image of a tall building like the Burj Khalifa the tallest building in the world, this would give the reader the suggestion of how high the dinosaur as well as making the trees look minuscule like ants. Another example is when the text described it as “great evil god”. The word god defines undefinable and strong. this would give the writer an image of how supreme it can be. On top of that by using the word “evil “would give the reader the mind of darkness and horrific as well as immortal creature. So, the writer has used similes in the text to show how monstrous and enormous the creature is.

I'd appreciate it if someone tells me how many marks this is worth out of 8 and how I can improve it .
thanks
Original post by sarabadri
Hello so I'm practicing on how to get a good grade in English and I would like to know how many marks I would get for this. I have made many mistakes but I want to improve and I don't know how.

The question is:
How does the writer use language here to describe the Tyrannosaurus Rex? (8 MARKS)

The writer uses language such as a range of similes to give the reader the impression of the Tyrannosaurus Rex as being monstrous and gigantic. An example is when the text says, “examine men like toys”. By using the word “examine” the writer means how the dinosaur sees and using the word “toys” to show how he sees them links to fun and entertainment. So, the simile that says the dinosaur sees men like toys suggests the reader that he is not afraid of them and thinks of them as entertainment. This would give the reader the impression of the dinosaur as unbothered. Another example is when the text describes it as “teeth like daggers”. The word dagger means a knife that is very sharp and was used to stab people. This would give the writer an impression of how the deadly the dinosaur can be. on top of that it also shows how its teeth acted like knives and it would be painful if it goes through your skin and kill you instantly. So the writer has used similes in the text to show how monstrous and enormous the creature is.

The writer uses a range of words and phrases to show the size and huge the dinosaur looks .the texts says “It towered thirty feet above half of the trees”.by using the word “towered “it gives an image of a tall building like the Burj Khalifa the tallest building in the world, this would give the reader the suggestion of how high the dinosaur as well as making the trees look minuscule like ants. Another example is when the text described it as “great evil god”. The word god defines undefinable and strong. this would give the writer an image of how supreme it can be. On top of that by using the word “evil “would give the reader the mind of darkness and horrific as well as immortal creature. So, the writer has used similes in the text to show how monstrous and enormous the creature is.

I'd appreciate it if someone tells me how many marks this is worth out of 8 and how I can improve it .
thanks

you should show the text given as well as the question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending