The Student Room Group

Extending My Gap Year

I am currently in the midst of a gap year and due to a number of compelling reasons I am heavily considering extending it.

I have already been accepted by a university and have been granted a deferral. Would it be possible to defer another year while still keeping my place?
1. Yes if you going to do anything but travel. 1 year is fine, 2 years makes you look like a little bummish. understandble as it is..
if you can work (anything! even shop as it shows you grown up and taking responsbility), paid or unpaid internship or even workexperience for a year whilst you on jsa, real volunteering- i mean maybe really spending time abroad teaching english year - you wont get paid much but you spending your hours doing real work and making a difference.
just as long as you not 'travelling'.

2. If you thinking of doing another year of 'travelling' - city hopping, gettting drunk in lockdown? How?? idk.. don't and even if ****, it is, go to uni and try to join with at least mixed - online and offline.

i speak as a mature student with plenty work experience, i know what managers think and like.. and two years travelling will not look good. make the second year - even if working on a farm and taking responsbilty of yourself. you can even say you worked on farm and learned to idk, code or someting free onine.. you have many options for this. be creative.. :smile:
Original post by StoneEdge
I am currently in the midst of a gap year and due to a number of compelling reasons I am heavily considering extending it.

I have already been accepted by a university and have been granted a deferral. Would it be possible to defer another year while still keeping my place?

ps. if you really want to be abroad, no problem. just dont party for a year - very easy to get a job, wont pay much, in a backpackers hostel - think berlin or get your 18-35 visa and go across the pacific or atlantic and work. ps. if EU, make sure you do it before end of year.. you dont have long as you need to register in the eu country you stayin before 31 dec 2020 #fkbexit
Reply 3
Original post by snoopydoopz
ps. if you really want to be abroad, no problem. just dont party for a year - very easy to get a job, wont pay much, in a backpackers hostel - think berlin or get your 18-35 visa and go across the pacific or atlantic and work. ps. if EU, make sure you do it before end of year.. you dont have long as you need to register in the eu country you stayin before 31 dec 2020 #fkbexit

I plan on getting a job very soon (next month if things work out) and getting work experience is one of my top priorities. I also don’t plan on traveling.

Logistically speaking though, do you think it is possible to get a second deferral after already getting one without losing my place? Keep in mind I am going to take creative writing meaning isn’t a highly competitive a course.
(edited 3 years ago)

thought it was deferred already?? ah ok. if not - seriously persuade the uni (get a doc note saying stress and say not well, mentally) if you really dont want to go. if they say no, doubtful if you have a medical certificate, and its competitive - then go! seriously :smile: (but if you can get that deferral do it, online teaching and non-freshers experience sucks baddddddddd).
I plan on getting a job very soon (next month if things work out) and getting work experience is one of my top priorities. I also don’t plan on traveling.

Logistically speaking though, do you think it is possible to get a second deferral after already getting one without losing my place? Keep in mind I am going to take creative writing meaning isn’t a highly competitive a course.

I have a friend who deferred and then re-deferred to extent his gap year.

I expect different unis have different policies, but there's no harm in asking.

Quick Reply

Latest