The Student Room Group

Oxbridge, GCSEs, and the LNAT - any answers and advice are greatly appreciated!

I am applying for a Law degree for 2021 entry.

Originally I had decided on Oxford as my first choice - but my GCSEs (999988777) seem on the low side for a successful applicant. Predicted grades at A-Level are not the issue.
I am leaning towards Cambridge for this reason and also because my LNAT is on the 6th and I'm not horrendously ill-prepared but I'm still not confident about it at all.

I have two questions:
Are my worries over GCSEs founded - am I at a significant disadvantage if applying for Oxford and not Cambridge.
In addition, were I to apply to Cambridge, can I reschedule my LNAT to a slightly later date (I'd still need it for other choices) - are there any spaces still available?

Thank you very much

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you are allowed to reschedule your LNAT up to 3 business days before your scheduled test date free of cost btw
not a UK student so I can't answer the other questions.
I'm applying to oxford kcl, else and I'm giving my LNAT n the 3rd, which resources are you using to practice?
do you know any reliable resource for lnat prep apart from arbitio?
Reply 2
You'll have to check for the availability of spaces tho
Reply 3
Original post by nyx2911
you are allowed to reschedule your LNAT up to 3 business days before your scheduled test date free of cost btw
not a UK student so I can't answer the other questions.
I'm applying to oxford kcl, else and I'm giving my LNAT n the 3rd, which resources are you using to practice?
do you know any reliable resource for lnat prep apart from arbitio?

I'm just using Arbitio tests; haven't really even looked into the essay yet. I'm a bit concerned though because some of my Arbitio test scores are woeful (like below 20) and some are okay (23-25) so hopefully I just get a nice paper on the day. How are you preparing - and when did you start, out of interest?
Reply 4
Original post by C000034
I'm just using Arbitio tests; haven't really even looked into the essay yet. I'm a bit concerned though because some of my Arbitio test scores are woeful (like below 20) and some are okay (23-25) so hopefully I just get a nice paper on the day. How are you preparing - and when did you start, out of interest?

i started in august but i havent prepped for it in 3 weeks now and I'm super nervous about the essay section.
I'm using the ultimate lnat collection by rohan agarwal - bought it off amazon. Its got 4 mock papers, 4 essay samples and about 400 practice questions. Ive been getting between 24-34 on them. Ive only tried the free lnat sample paper available on arbitio and scored 30/42 so I'm hoping the real test would be easier.
for the essay do you have any sample questions I could also try?
If you are worried about GCSEs and don’t mind going to either Cambridge or Oxford, go to Cambridge. You have the grades of a standard applicant but if you wanna apply to Oxford, you want to do well in your interview and LNAT. If you aren’t confident about the LNAT and you don’t mind going to either again, go to Cambridge as their test will make you less stress. What other unis are you applying for?
Reply 6
You don't sit the LNAT for Cambridge.

- TE
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tolgash

They might be looking at other unis that require LNAT so they are asking probably to move the date later since they wont need to meet the Oxford LNAT deadline if they choose Cambridge
Reply 8
Original post by PetitePanda
If you are worried about GCSEs and don’t mind going to either Cambridge or Oxford, go to Cambridge. You have the grades of a standard applicant but if you wanna apply to Oxford, you want to do well in your interview and LNAT. If you aren’t confident about the LNAT and you don’t mind going to either again, go to Cambridge as their test will make you less stress. What other unis are you applying for?

Thanks for the response,
I think that's probably the right way for me to look at it. I'm going back and forth between the two as a good LNAT score would likely improve my % chances as opposed to my base rate chance of getting into Cambridge but equally a bad LNAT and it's 0% chance...
I'm definitely going to apply to Durham and most likely one of Bristol and Nottingham as a third (hence the mandated LNAT really) - aside from that I'd considered Warwick ... any other suggestions are appreciated for an AAA-AAB course as a fifth choice
Reply 9
Original post by Tolgash

See the post below yours.
see Oxford Mums post on this thread re GCSEs for Law at Oxford

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6693516
Original post by C000034
Thanks for the response,
I think that's probably the right way for me to look at it. I'm going back and forth between the two as a good LNAT score would likely improve my % chances as opposed to my base rate chance of getting into Cambridge but equally a bad LNAT and it's 0% chance...
I'm definitely going to apply to Durham and most likely one of Bristol and Nottingham as a third (hence the mandated LNAT really) - aside from that I'd considered Warwick ... any other suggestions are appreciated for an AAA-AAB course as a fifth choice

What's your preference because there's a lot of unis you are open to if those are your grade range for safety :biggrin:?
Reply 12
Original post by nyx2911
i started in august but i havent prepped for it in 3 weeks now and I'm super nervous about the essay section.
I'm using the ultimate lnat collection by rohan agarwal - bought it off amazon. Its got 4 mock papers, 4 essay samples and about 400 practice questions. Ive been getting between 24-34 on them. Ive only tried the free lnat sample paper available on arbitio and scored 30/42 so I'm hoping the real test would be easier.
for the essay do you have any sample questions I could also try?

did u get a 30 on ur first attempt?
Original post by ritrit
did u get a 30 on ur first attempt?

no i got 20 in the first try and 30 in the second try which I gave after a month of practice
Reply 14
Original post by nyx2911
no i got 20 in the first try and 30 in the second try which I gave after a month of practice

I got the same too. What do you do for practice any tips ?
Original post by ritrit
I got the same too. What do you do for practice any tips ?

I’m using the ultimate LNAT collection, it available on Amazon by that name. It’s got about 400 practice questions and 4 mocks along with sample essays and their Fred back. I do 5-7 passages everyday and it helped in understanding how to go about the questions later in the mock.
Reply 16
Original post by nyx2911
I’m using the ultimate LNAT collection, it available on Amazon by that name. It’s got about 400 practice questions and 4 mocks along with sample essays and their Fred back. I do 5-7 passages everyday and it helped in understanding how to go about the questions later in the mock.

Did you apply last year?
Original post by ritrit
Did you apply last year?

I’m applying this year- on a gap year after boards currently, wbu
Reply 18
Original post by nyx2911
I’m applying this year- on a gap year after boards currently, wbu

I applied last year but I was unsuccessful because I screwed my LNATs
Reply 19
Original post by PetitePanda
What's your preference because there's a lot of unis you are open to if those are your grade range for safety :biggrin:?

Beyond Bristol/Nottingham and Warwick (probable third/fourth choices) I wasn't particularly sure if I'm honest. I'm not accustomed to big cities but the Manchester course looks well suited (it's AAA I believe) and then I'd also viewed Lancaster and Exeter (AAB/AAA respectively); aside from that, I literally couldn't think of any?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending