The Student Room Group

Should I call him or leave it?

Hi, I've recently quit my job. I texted my manager over text, a very nice message just explaining that I didn't think I'd get to see him the next time I was working and I wanted to give him a heads up in case he was in the process of making the roster. We are quite a close knit team and we have been working together since the establishment opened where I live. He became manager as the old one was fired and everything was great until the pandemic. I came back to the job after about 5 months of being at home (I work and study abroad) and the dynamic had totally changed. it was way more stressful as there were only 2 people ever working and so much to do in the evening. He would always tell us we needed to be faster but then give out if the job wasn't done properly. He was threatening to fire people, and I knew he had his eye on me because i'd heard from various other staff members. I felt so inadequate and *****y most of the time and dreaded going into work just for fear of messing up. i decided it best to quit as I hated to feel like a burden and I honestly just didn't feel capable enough for the job. i told him all of this in a text and i heard no response. He simply just took me out of the roster and said nothing. I had told him, I'd hope to see him on my last shift too. Idk whether he's hurt because I quit over text or do you think it would make matters worse if I rang him?
You should definitely call him !
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I've recently quit my job. I texted my manager over text, a very nice message just explaining that I didn't think I'd get to see him the next time I was working and I wanted to give him a heads up in case he was in the process of making the roster. We are quite a close knit team and we have been working together since the establishment opened where I live. He became manager as the old one was fired and everything was great until the pandemic. I came back to the job after about 5 months of being at home (I work and study abroad) and the dynamic had totally changed. it was way more stressful as there were only 2 people ever working and so much to do in the evening. He would always tell us we needed to be faster but then give out if the job wasn't done properly. He was threatening to fire people, and I knew he had his eye on me because i'd heard from various other staff members. I felt so inadequate and *****y most of the time and dreaded going into work just for fear of messing up. i decided it best to quit as I hated to feel like a burden and I honestly just didn't feel capable enough for the job. i told him all of this in a text and i heard no response. He simply just took me out of the roster and said nothing. I had told him, I'd hope to see him on my last shift too. Idk whether he's hurt because I quit over text or do you think it would make matters worse if I rang him?

I personally think it was wrong to resign over a text message, that's quite unprofessional (even though his behaviour is also unprofessional). You could ring him if you want but I don't really see how that will make anything better. What would you say that you didn't say in the text?
Reply 3
Why would your boss be 'hurt'?

More like he's annoyed with all the stresses on the business due to coronavirus, and organising a safe return, he's then had someone quit, via text, and has to find a replacement.

If you leave a job you should put it in a letter. Did you have a notice period?
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
I personally think it was wrong to resign over a text message, that's quite unprofessional (even though his behaviour is also unprofessional). You could ring him if you want but I don't really see how that will make anything better. What would you say that you didn't say in the text?

I don't agree. If her boss's behaviour was unprofessional or disrespectful then she is entitled to quit without warning or giving any notice at all! It is also not illegal to do so. Why should she put up with her boss's behaviour?
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
Why would your boss be 'hurt'?

More like he's annoyed with all the stresses on the business due to coronavirus, and organising a safe return, he's then had someone quit, via text, and has to find a replacement.

If you leave a job you should put it in a letter. Did you have a notice period?

A letter? to prove what to an appalling boss? It is fine to quit without any notice being given and by text!
Original post by mgi
I don't agree. If her boss's behaviour was unprofessional or disrespectful then she is entitled to quit without warning or giving any notice at all! It is also not illegal to do so. Why should she put up with her boss's behaviour?

I never said it was illegal nor that she should put up with it. I just disagree with doing something wrong just because someone else does it. Two wrongs don't make a right. Yes, her boss is behaving horribly but that doesn't mean she should act unprofessionally too. Have the upper hand and don't sink to his level is my opinion.
Original post by Anonymous

Text is a very limiting form of communication. You were better off popping into the shop or phoning him. Not sure what it is you want him to say? Doubt he will feel comfortable saying yes he had changed and was mean or yes he had been talking to other people about getting you fired? Call or see him if you feel it would make you feel better, but be prepared for a variety of responses.
Original post by mgi

Thats great employment law advice.
Whilst I do think you should have written a letter stating your intentions, notice period and final date of work, I wouldn't be too bothered about your boss. He's obviously received your message if he's taken you off the rota but is probably annoyed you've left as it's putting him under significantly more stress - but that's not your problem. He's essentially made a rod for his own back.
Reply 10
Original post by bones-mccoy
Whilst I do think you should have written a letter stating your intentions, notice period and final date of work, I wouldn't be too bothered about your boss. He's obviously received your message if he's taken you off the rota but is probably annoyed you've left as it's putting him under significantly more stress - but that's not your problem. He's essentially made a rod for his own back.

Your last sentence is precisely the point. She owes her abusive boss no apologies.

Quick Reply

Latest