The Student Room Group

About applying to Cambridge while studying at LSE

Hi everyone, the thing is that I got rejected by Cambridge last year, but got an offer from LSE. As the A-Levels results came out, I got 3 A*s in History, Economics, and Physics.

Therefore, I wonder if it is possible for me to apply to Cambridge again this year for a different course while starting my study at LSE?

Would really appreciate any answers coming in.
Original post by YGong07
Hi everyone, the thing is that I got rejected by Cambridge last year, but got an offer from LSE. As the A-Levels results came out, I got 3 A*s in History, Economics, and Physics.

Therefore, I wonder if it is possible for me to apply to Cambridge again this year for a different course while starting my study at LSE?

Yes you can however you must call them first and they will guide you on how it works. You would obviously need to attend an interview so get in contact with them.
Indeed, you can. However, cambridge does not rely on the A Level grades at all to assess students - it is just a formality for them. What you need is your admissions tests. You wont get an interview based on your A Level grades or Personal statement alone. The admissions test needs to line up well. You have to consider if it's worth it sacrificing study time at LSE to study religiously for the cambridge admissions tests (which are genius proof). If you feel the a level grades were the only reason you've been rejected in the previous cycle, then yes. By all means.
On the other hand, you might get to LSE and actually enjoy it.
"Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances."
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
"Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances."
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

I wonder what do they mean by "exceptional circumstances"
Original post by YGong07
I wonder what do they mean by "exceptional circumstances"

Not "because I really want to".

Perhaps @Peterhouse Admissions could advise?
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks for the tag! A lot will depend on what course you are studying now and what you would like to study with us. Exceptional circumstances might include a serious change of subject, although this is not the only circumstance which would count.

If you are looking to reapply to study the same thing you're already studying or something quite similar, then many colleges will not consider you, I'm afraid.
Original post by YGong07

You could apply for a different subject (year 1 entry) but then you will be paying LSE for a year for basically nothing.

If you want another shot at Cambridge, I wouldn't start at LSE but take a year out. You could apply to Cambridge with your achieved grades and to LSE again and to 3 other unis. This advice may be too late.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending