The Student Room Group

Which laptop is better?!

Acer Aspire3 15.6in Celeron 4GB 128GB Laptop
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8214537

ASUS VivoBook X512 15.6in Athlon 4GB 128GB Laptop
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8764348?rec=PDP[8214537]:bottomSlider:P1:OHAT:alternative:8764348:izbEXe4oQaYgZtiCMdhw

Scroll to see replies

the 2nd link is the better computer tech specs wise but the first computer come with more things. If you are going to be using to play some games with decent graphics I would go with the 2nd link. But if you are here for work then the first link would be better. Personally I wouldn't go for a laptop with less that 256gb ssd storage if you are gaming but if you keep all your work on one drive or something like that or a thumb drive you should be fine.
hope this helps
Hayden
Original post by HaydenFordz
the 2nd link is the better computer tech specs wise but the first computer come with more things. If you are going to be using to play some games with decent graphics I would go with the 2nd link. But if you are here for work then the first link would be better. Personally I wouldn't go for a laptop with less that 256gb ssd storage if you are gaming but if you keep all your work on one drive or something like that or a thumb drive you should be fine.
hope this helps
Hayden

Thank you!

Its not for gaming, so would u say the acer one?

Also, Asus comes with is 'Microsoft Windows 10' and the acer comes with windows 10 home, is there any difference between them?
As above, the second Athlon based laptop is the more powerful of the two, but neither are particularly good laptops. At this budget, you may be better off with a Chromebook or a used laptop. I wouldn't recommend spending £300 on a new Windows based device because they just outright aren't very good.
Original post by AcseI
As above, the second Athlon based laptop is the more powerful of the two, but neither are particularly good laptops. At this budget, you may be better off with a Chromebook or a used laptop. I wouldn't recommend spending £300 on a new Windows based device because they just outright aren't very good.

I need to download stuff which I cant currently do on chromebook. What is the starting price of a new Windows laptop that you'd recommend?
Thank you, I have browsed the guide and its brilliant!

Regarding windows 10 S, when you take the laptop out of S mode, does it become windows 10 home?

Also, from what I gathered you can't go back to windows 10 S? Is this true?
(edited 3 years ago)
Why is it windows 10 S laptops are cheaper then?

Also is it free to get out of S mode and into windows 10 home?
(edited 3 years ago)
oooh ok!

one more thing (sorry) this laptop is 256gb SSD, but its in windows 10 s mode, so if I was to take it out of s modeto put it into windows 10 home. Whats your opinion? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-a315-42-15-6-amd-ryzen-3-laptop-256-gb-ssd-blue-10193910-pdt.html
Going back to this, thanks for your time btw :smile:

This laptop is also £350, and is 8gb ram. Is it any good? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6829498
Original post by smartiecookie
What is the starting price of a new Windows laptop that you'd recommend?

Typically I say £350-400 is the bare minimum to spend on something new, depending on if you can find a decent deal. However in the long run I typically say aim for around the £500-550 mark, as that's where you start to find actually good laptops. That's not to say you can't go cheaper, but you'll outgrow a cheap laptop faster. I've always considered it better to spend £500 today, and get a laptop that'll last far longer, over regularly spending out on £300 machines because of poor longevity. There's no guarantee that a £300 laptop will become unusable, but you're sort of setting yourself up for failure.

Ultimately though what I recommend is rarely relevant. What matters is your budget. It's always nice when someone can stretch their budget, since they can get something that's actually worth buying. But what you're willing and able to spend is what actually matters.
Seconded. Of all the laptops mentioned so far, this would be my recommendation. I can't really see any of the typical complaints I'd have at £350.

Makes me miss the old days when you could get an 8250U at £350 though.
ok thank u!

its gonna be out of stock for a while tho :frown: so probably gonna have to go for something else
Original post by AcseI
Seconded. Of all the laptops mentioned so far, this would be my recommendation. I can't really see any of the typical complaints I'd have at £350.

Makes me miss the old days when you could get an 8250U at £350 though.

ah thanks

such a shame tho bc its going to be out of stock for ages yet, so will probably have to find something else
ah thanks

such a shame tho bc its going to be out of stock for ages yet, so will probably have to find something else

That's going to be a recurring issue for a while TBH, COVID has put a strain on laptop availability and it's all round just not a good time to buy really.
Original post by AcseI
That's going to be a recurring issue for a while TBH, COVID has put a strain on laptop availability and it's all round just not a good time to buy really.

ikr! its annoying, didnt know i needed it til now, got to install some things that require windows/mac os
ikr! its annoying, didnt know i needed it til now, got to install some things that require windows/mac os

Can you clarify what the laptop is for? And what that software is? I don't think that's been covered yet, and it's often pretty useful to know. If you have a certain budget, that'd also be helpful
Original post by AcseI
Can you clarify what the laptop is for? And what that software is? I don't think that's been covered yet, and it's often pretty useful to know. If you have a certain budget, that'd also be helpful

oracle virtualbox, debian and alpine budget is like £350 max
oracle virtualbox, debian and alpine budget is like £350 max

Then in all honesty you're probably better off looking at used laptops. I don't typically like recommending used hardware for a variety of reasons, but buying new you're going to struggle to get anything at £350 that'll give you a comfortable experience using virtual machines.

In terms of what to look for, 8th gen CPUs are going to be the best value for performance, so something with an 8250U and 8GB of RAM. This is a good example of the sort of thing to look for, although it's a little above budget. But sleuthing around eBay you should be able to find something for under £350. For reference, a laptop like this nowadays would set you back in the region of £500-550.
Acer Aspire3 15.6in Celeron 4GB 128GB Laptop
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8214537

ASUS VivoBook X512 15.6in Athlon 4GB 128GB Laptop
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8764348?rec=PDP[8214537]:bottomSlider:P1:OHAT:alternative:8764348:izbEXe4oQaYgZtiCMdhw

no question second asus; chip is better and asus better brand. celeron SUCKS BAD. why these two? did your assessor pick for you?

Quick Reply

Latest