The Student Room Group

help me pick 5 unis from this list! (for fun)

good morning guys,

just for fun could you order these unis in terms of preference, assuming I could get at least a 2.1 at any of them? cambridge, edinburgh, st andrews, glasgow, york, lancaster, manchester, birimingham, leeds, sheffield, bristol - I'm looking to study english literature/english language

thanks 😀

Scroll to see replies

In this order:

Manchester
Bristol
Birmingham
Edinburgh
Cambridge
Glasgow
St Andrews
Lancaster
Leeds
York
Sheffield

Don't ask me the logic or reasoning behind it, just going with my gut.
Reply 2
oooh interesting, thanks 😀 if I did ask you the logic what would it be?
Original post by comeasuare
good morning guys,

just for fun could you order these unis in terms of preference, assuming I could get at least a 2.1 at any of them? cambridge, edinburgh, st andrews, glasgow, york, lancaster, manchester, birimingham, leeds, sheffield, bristol - I'm looking to study english literature/english language

thanks 😀

Cambridge
St Andrews
Glasgow
Bristol
Manchester
Leeds
Edinburgh
Birmingham
Sheffield
York
Lancaster
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
Cambridge
St Andrews
Glasgow
Bristol
Manchester
Leeds
Edinburgh
Birmingham
Sheffield
York
Lancaster

thanks 😀 hmm people seem to put york pretty low down, interesting!
oooh interesting, thanks 😀 if I did ask you the logic what would it be?

Going with my gut
thanks 😀 hmm people seem to put york pretty low down, interesting!

1) these are a list of top unis so it's hardly low down 2) the campus is supposed to be quite disconnected from the beautiful city 3) the nightlife isn't great, without anything in return.

4) If you are only thinking in terms of the course i would put it 4th actually
Reply 7
Original post by A Rolling Stone
1) these are a list of top unis so it's hardly low down 2) the campus is supposed to be quite disconnected from the beautiful city 3) the nightlife isn't great, without anything in return.

4) If you are only thinking in terms of the course i would put it 4th actually

aha thanks, I'm not too bothered by nightlife and the campus seems pretty so if the course is good I might apply there 😀
good morning guys,

thanks 😀

How do the courses compare? What sort of place do you want to live in for 3/4 years?

I wouldn't pick any of them tbh. Scotland is too cold, most of those cities are too big. York is OK to live in, as is Lancaster.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
How do the courses compare? What sort of place do you want to live in for 3/4 years?

I wouldn't pick any of them tbh. Scotland is too cold, most of those cities are too big. York is OK to live in, as is Lancaster.

I narrowed them down by the courses so I like them all, i was just wondering peoples perception of the unis
thanks for your help 😀 how would you rank them based on course/reputation?
I narrowed them down by the courses so I like them all, i was just wondering peoples perception of the unis
thanks for your help 😀 how would you rank them based on course/reputation?

The courses seen very different to me ... What does reputation mean? I don't go by league tables at all - I want students to go where they will be happy and only then will they do well. Only you know what you are looking for ...

Why not Exeter if you are looking at Bristol? Oxford if you are looking at Cambridge? So many of your choices are 'up North' - is there a reason for this?
Reply 11
The courses seen very different to me ... What does reputation mean? I don't go by league tables at all - I want students to go where they will be happy and only then will they do well. Only you know what you are looking for ...

Why not Exeter if you are looking at Bristol? Oxford if you are looking at Cambridge? So many of your choices are 'up North' - is there a reason for this?

I like aspects of all of them and figure if I love english enough to do a degree in it the options wont matter because I like a wide range of genres and eras 😀 I also hated my secondary school and still did well there in the end so I think I could do well wherever I went
no reason particularly other than I am also from up north - exeter felt snobby so Bristol seemed a good alternative(?) and my gcses are bad (99998666443, a*a*a* achieved at a level) so I thought oxford would be out, but if theres anywhere super good I should check out then i will 😀
I like aspects of all of them and figure if I love english enough to do a degree in it the options wont matter because I like a wide range of genres and eras 😀 I also hated my secondary school and still did well there in the end so I think I could do well wherever I went
no reason particularly other than I am also from up north - exeter felt snobby so Bristol seemed a good alternative(?) and my gcses are bad (99998666443, a*a*a* achieved at a level) so I thought oxford would be out, but if theres anywhere super good I should check out then i will 😀

Exeter snobby? Where on earth did you get that from? It's far better than Bristol imho - I teach at a state school and I'd say that Exeter is one of the favourite destinations.

University is different to school - you are independent so should go somewhere you can be happy.
To be honest you are barking up the wrong tree. As Muttley says being happy wherever you go is the most important thing. People go to university and end up leaving because of unhappiness. You have stated on another thread you want smaller cities and you include 6 of the biggest cities outside London. Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Sheffield, Leeds and Bristol all have in excess of 1/2 million people. That is not smaller cities. You need to consider where you will settle best in terms of size of cities and course. You talk about campus universities but most of them are pretty much in city centres. York and Lancaster are totally different to Manchester and Bristol.

Have a think about the things that really matter. Which course will you enjoy studying most. How far from home do you want to be. Do you want a campus university or not. Are you looking for a large or small city. Reputation and League table doesnt help or what others think. If you want to stay in the North forget Bristol. If you want small cities/towns and campus or college universities look at places like Durham, York or Lancaster. Forget peoples beliefs as they often look at older universities as though they are something special but the reality is York is just as good as the universities in big cities you are looking at. The latest complete university guide table has Durham ranked 3rd, York 6th and Lancaster 11th for English.
Reply 14
Exeter snobby? Where on earth did you get that from? It's far better than Bristol imho - I teach at a state school and I'd say that Exeter is one of the favourite destinations.

University is different to school - you are independent so should go somewhere you can be happy.

I really dont know, probably my communication with them last yr (I held an offer) - seemed a bit disorganised and like they didnt have time for me but I'll happily be proved wrong!
true, thanks for the advice 😀
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
To be honest you are barking up the wrong tree. As Muttley says being happy wherever you go is the most important thing. People go to university and end up leaving because of unhappiness. You have stated on another thread you want smaller cities and you include 6 of the biggest cities outside London. Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Sheffield, Leeds and Bristol all have in excess of 1/2 million people. That is not smaller cities. You need to consider where you will settle best in terms of size of cities and course. You talk about campus universities but most of them are pretty much in city centres. York and Lancaster are totally different to Manchester and Bristol.

Have a think about the things that really matter. Which course will you enjoy studying most. How far from home do you want to be. Do you want a campus university or not. Are you looking for a large or small city. Reputation and League table doesnt help or what others think. If you want to stay in the North forget Bristol. If you want small cities/towns and campus or college universities look at places like Durham, York or Lancaster. Forget peoples beliefs as they often look at older universities as though they are something special but the reality is York is just as good as the universities in big cities you are looking at. The latest complete university guide table has Durham ranked 3rd, York 6th and Lancaster 11th for English.

okay, I'm just accustomed to being unhappy in education but still loving my subject and doing well so it always seems so pointless to talk about how happy I'll be there because anything would be better than my school and sixth form experience, but I see what you're saying so thanks 😀
I love my subject and quite a wide variety of things appeal, particularly tragedy, classical lit, feminism, modernism, postmodernism, romanticism, gothic - these are all staple modules so I figure I'd be alright anywhere. north is preferable but otherwise I dont mind - I just want the best place for my course. I'll definitely consider those three then, thank you 😀
good morning guys,

thanks 😀

Bristol
Manchester
Cambridge
Sheffield
York
Lancaster
Leeds
Edinburgh
Glasgow
St Andrews
Birmingham
Reply 17
Original post by Kogomogo
Bristol
Manchester
Cambridge
Sheffield
York
Lancaster
Leeds
Edinburgh
Glasgow
St Andrews
Birmingham

thanks 😀 any reasons why out of interest?
thanks 😀 any reasons why out of interest?

I think Bristol is an amazing city to live in, loads of arts and culture and stuff to do down there, it has a really young, educated and inspiring vibe to it. Manchester is a pretty rad city too, uni has a good rep. Cambridge because it's pretty and the rep is good. Sheffield because again a pretty decent city to live in IMO. The rest are pretty much ranked by how nice i think they'd be to live in / the student life there.

My listing is pretty much what i think the best unis and cities to live / study in are, rather than pure quality of uni. I quite like having a lot to do, plenty of culture and room for personal experience / growth.
What Muttley and Swansea jack said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending