The Student Room Group

How do you study from a mindmap?

I've always heard making mindmaps was really helpful. But how do you study from them? and should you make them as you learn the topic during class or during exam season?

Thank you!
Make them just as revision notes
1) themes or do it on sub-topics within the subject.
2) you could do an exam question and then prep it on a mindmap.
Reply 2
Do you remember the info automatically from making it?
Original post by sellsunset
Do you remember the info automatically from making it?

Not automatically, but the process of condensing your notes into a mindmap may help you to remember certain parts.

I only use mindmaps for English, but I find them essential. I do blurt pages from them without looking, but I'll link a video below about mindmaps that I personally found helpful :smile:.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=6&list=PLjJvZCib9DmViEUnkoLk80eP6YmXBV00h&v=-Y1HJMuqAPY
Original post by Golderz Is Great
whats a mindmap???:colondollar:

They can be created differently but the idea is that you have your topic in the middle (let's say cells in Biology), and around it you right condensed notes about that topic :smile:. Some people right those notes from memory as actual revision, others use mindmaps as resources and revise from them.

2f10e24e10d44c5bed2378c8405000f3.jpg
Original post by Roses & Dreams
They can be created differently but the idea is that you have your topic in the middle (let's say cells in Biology), and around it you right condensed notes about that topic :smile:. Some people right those notes from memory as actual revision, others use mindmaps as resources and revise from them.

2f10e24e10d44c5bed2378c8405000f3.jpg

that looks more confusing but then im a bit stupid so maybe it easy

sorry just remembered me saying im stupid makes you angry so change stupid to slow:colondollar:
that looks more confusing but then im a bit stupid so maybe it easy

sorry just remembered me saying im stupid makes you angry so change stupid to slow:colondollar:

It's just an example, and it's probably not going to make sense to you or me because they're condensed. It just makes things easier to remember for the person who created the mindmap :smile: (plus you don't always have to have pictures if you don't want to).
It's just an example, and it's probably not going to make sense to you or me because they're condensed. It just makes things easier to remember for the person who created the mindmap :smile: (plus you don't always have to have pictures if you don't want to).

if ella and lucy make kind teachers I think you would be a really really strict one lol:biggrin:(no offense roses)....oh but you would still be a brill teacher though:colondollar:
what i do is make a mindmap of the key points of information, then transfer those onto flashcards and turn them into questions.

for example, say the point of a branch of a mindmap was 'marxism' and then as 3 extra branches off of it i named 3 marxists, on a flashcard i would put the question 'name 3 marxists' and on the other side write the answers. :yep:
if ella and lucy make kind teachers I think you would be a really really strict one lol:biggrin:(no offense roses)....oh but you would still be a brill teacher though:colondollar:

I don't think I want to be a teacher haha.
But what makes you think that?
you have a authoritarian attitude :biggrin:(but still kind one lol)

and yes i goggled words for authoritarian:colondollar:

I wouldn't say I have an authoritarian attitude.
Reply 11
Not automatically, but the process of condensing your notes into a mindmap may help you to remember certain parts.

I only use mindmaps for English, but I find them essential. I do blurt pages from them without looking, but I'll link a video below about mindmaps that I personally found helpful :smile:.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=6&list=PLjJvZCib9DmViEUnkoLk80eP6YmXBV00h&v=-Y1HJMuqAPY

True! I actually just watched eve's video haha
I've tried blurting quite a bit too but I still find it hard to remmeber information that I didn't get in the initial blurt. How long does it take for you approx to make a mind map for English?
Thanks though!
Reply 12
Original post by yzanne
what i do is make a mindmap of the key points of information, then transfer those onto flashcards and turn them into questions.

for example, say the point of a branch of a mindmap was 'marxism' and then as 3 extra branches off of it i named 3 marxists, on a flashcard i would put the question 'name 3 marxists' and on the other side write the answers. :yep:

Ah cool!! That sounds great, do you use quizlet or paper or something else to make the flashcards
I'm always worried ill have a huge stack of cards to go through and it'd be overwhelming to review all of them
I wouldn't say I have an authoritarian attitude.

you have an argumentative attitude hehe:biggrin:
Ah cool!! That sounds great, do you use quizlet or paper or something else to make the flashcards
I'm always worried ill have a huge stack of cards to go through and it'd be overwhelming to review all of them

noooooooooo the only thing quizlet's good for is finding a specific quote for english :lol:

i prefer things on paper, because the act of writing them out also helps remember them. you can categorise them into topics and subtopics if you think one huge pile is going to be too much for you! :yep:
True! I actually just watched eve's video haha
I've tried blurting quite a bit too but I still find it hard to remmeber information that I didn't get in the initial blurt. How long does it take for you approx to make a mind map for English?
Thanks though!

It does take a few tries to get everything in :yep:.
It depends on how much information, and how much I try to make it look nice :colondollar:. The longer ones take about an hour or more, the shorter ones around half an hour.
I don't really look at mindmaps once I finish them, but I used them a lot for Nat 5 History. My advice would be to not worry if they are fancy, just as long as they are clear, I wouldn't spend any longer than 30 mins on one.
Reply 17
Original post by parmezanne
noooooooooo the only thing quizlet's good for is finding a specific quote for english :lol:

i prefer things on paper, because the act of writing them out also helps remember them. you can categorise them into topics and subtopics if you think one huge pile is going to be too much for you! :yep:

Ahahahahahha thank you!!
I know last year I was way too reliant on my flashcards and a giant stack was very tiring and overwhelming to look through. But yeah I'll try the combo of mindmapping + questions
Still not sure how to remember specific statistics and facts though for history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending