The Student Room Group

Maths question

Please refer to the attachment.
This question feels a bit abstract. I can't quite make sense of what it is saying. Is there a good way to try and understand what this question is saying.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by As.1997
Please refer to the attachment.
This question feels a bit abstract. I can't quite make sense of what it is saying. Is there a good way to try and understand what this question is saying.

Look at the table for orbital period in Earth days.

It tells you that it takes 686 Earth days for Mars to complete a orbital period.

One orbital period is equivalent to a year (for Mars).
So for the rotational period, mars and earth are equal, meaning 1 day on earth would be the same as 1 day on mars. 1 mars day can go into 1 earth day, so 365 mars days can go into 365 earth days. Since 365 earth days makes up an earth year, it means 365 martian days are in 1 earth year
Reply 3
Original post by bigfish06
So for the rotational period, mars and earth are equal, meaning 1 day on earth would be the same as 1 day on mars. 1 mars day can go into 1 earth day, so 365 mars days can go into 365 earth days. Since 365 earth days makes up an earth year, it means 365 martian days are in 1 earth year

Beautiful. Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
Look at the table for orbital period in Earth days.

It tells you that it takes 686 Earth days for Mars to complete a orbital period.

One orbital period is equivalent to a year (for Mars).

I tried this (annotation in red in the attachment). But completely forgot about the "rotational period" which tells us that 1 day on Earth is equivalent to 1 day on Mars.

Quick Reply

Latest