The Student Room Group

Feeling disgusted by the food at home

Hey guys at home there's a bunch of flies in the kitchen and they've been on the juice, veg, bowls and stuff and I'm don't want to eat at home. I don't really eat at home before I discovered that but I feel sick now whenever I think of having dinner/lunch or breakfast at home.

I usually just eat snacks as a substitute for meals and end up snacking unconsciously/uncontrollably. Let's say I'd buy 2 packs of cookies for school , I'd finish em before lunch.

I know it will catch up to me and I have tried to fix it. Before lockdown I was doing pretty well with my diet, I was lacking in some areas but at least I was eating school lunch and stuff.

During lockdown that all went out the window since I kind of lost track of everything like everyone else and I ended up doing it again and I'd have like big packets of crisps and biscuits every day.

I was planning on eating proper meals when school started but with restrictions they didn't have a lot of choices when it came to food and most of the stuff I'd like would be finished then so that also went out the window.

And I've fallen into bad habits again. At first I would snack since it was cheaper and I felt bad asking for lunch money so I'd just buy snacks with a weeks worth of school lunch money for 2/3 weeks

But then it turned into a habit and I'd just do it since the snacks tasted better and I'd feel full with em. It's not even like the snacks are close to me lol I go out of my way to walk and extra 30 minutes for em so I guess I'd be burning calories before gaining em back again?? xdd

Also this year, since we pay for school lunch money online(you get what I mean my English isn't good today) my mum would also give me 'snack money' so like an extra 5 or maybe 10 pounds. I don't really ask for it but she knows I like to snack and I have these specific types of snacks I always snack on (that's a lotta snack) so she gives me money for me to buy em. I've been going ham with the snacks lol

OK back to the flies on the food at home...

We live in a council flat and the housing is pretty crappy ngl. There's a bunch of cracks and stuff so the flies and bugs can come in.

Yep that's about it, I don't know why I wrote this lololol ples no hate
How old are you? How about you just start eating out. Also issue a complaint to your council about the flat and they may be able to help. Good luck. I can kind of relate.
Get you some permethrin and spray the place down + throw in loads of bug repellent.

Alternatively, keep your fruit and vegetables in a fridge like a normal person would. Flies and whatnot can't get inside a fridge.
Why don't you just sort your kitchen out?
Reply 4
Talk to your mum, wouldn’t want this to become a worser habit later on
Reply 5
Original post by Callicious
Get you some permethrin and spray the place down + throw in loads of bug repellent.

Alternatively, keep your fruit and vegetables in a fridge like a normal person would. Flies and whatnot can't get inside a fridge.

The fruit and veg is in the fridge but there's some in some fruit bowl and I don't do the shopping my mum does 🤷🏾*♀️ I did tell her about it
And somehow a bug got into the freezer
Original post by DiddyDec
Why don't you just sort your kitchen out?

Rude of you to assume that the kitchen is always a mess. The bugs get in through cracks and stuff. And there's some veg in a fruit bowl or whatever it's called because there's not much space anywhere else. Add hyperactive brothers to that mess as well :/
Original post by Anonymous
Rude of you to assume that the kitchen is always a mess. The bugs get in through cracks and stuff. And there's some veg in a fruit bowl or whatever it's called because there's not much space anywhere else. Add hyperactive brothers to that mess as well :/

You said the kitchen was the problem, not me.

Fill the cracks, not that hard.
Reply 7
Original post by Lilymae69
How old are you? How about you just start eating out. Also issue a complaint to your council about the flat and they may be able to help. Good luck. I can kind of relate.

14, yep the flat is ancient soooo
Can I issue a complaint myself instead of my mum?
Original post by Usernamechange44
Talk to your mum, wouldn’t want this to become a worser habit later on

I did when I found out

Yeah we do keep most of our fruits and veg in the fridge but we have some in a fruit bowl since the fridge sometimes doesn't have space. I'll try bug repellent, we had a problem with ants coming through somewhere in the floor and my mum used salt. It worked, so we ended up just using that since it's cheaper
14, yep the flat is ancient soooo
Can I issue a complaint myself instead of my mum?

I did when I found out

Yeah we do keep most of our fruits and veg in the fridge but we have some in a fruit bowl since the fridge sometimes doesn't have space. I'll try bug repellent, we had a problem with ants coming through somewhere in the floor and my mum used salt. It worked, so we ended up just using that since it's cheaper

Im not sure, but it doesnt hurt to try!
The fruit and veg is in the fridge but there's some in some fruit bowl and I don't do the shopping my mum does 🤷🏾*♀️ I did tell her about it
And somehow a bug got into the freezer

Fruit bowls having a few insects is no problem, if anything it's normal. Depends on the bugs though, but you can just rinse the fruit off anyway. Bugs in the freezer die, too. I swallow loads while cycling/etc, it's nothing to be concerned about until they lay their eggs or mould becomes a problem. If the fruit surface is unblemished, you're good.

You can fill cracks in walls/etc quite easily. It's not expensive or anything like that. If the council refuse to sort the issue out (assuming you guys have tried with them) I'm sure that either a charity to help exists or you can just buy some filler/etc to fill the cracks in. I just redid my shower myself despite having not done any DIY previously, rust and metal and all. It's something worth considering.
Original post by DiddyDec
You said the kitchen was the problem, not me.

Fill the cracks, not that hard.

Why are you always so negative for
Fruit bowls having a few insects is no problem, if anything it's normal. Depends on the bugs though, but you can just rinse the fruit off anyway. Bugs in the freezer die, too. I swallow loads while cycling/etc, it's nothing to be concerned about until they lay their eggs or mould becomes a problem. If the fruit surface is unblemished, you're good.

You can fill cracks in walls/etc quite easily. It's not expensive or anything like that. If the council refuse to sort the issue out (assuming you guys have tried with them) I'm sure that either a charity to help exists or you can just buy some filler/etc to fill the cracks in. I just redid my shower myself despite having not done any DIY previously, rust and metal and all. It's something worth considering.

Ohhh alright, thanks!

Not negative, just realistic.
Reply 13
Like Dec said, fix the cracks. Stop buying chips and cookies. Watch some Youtube videos on cooking and start learning- its a lifelong skill that can open many doors to your diet.

he's not being negative just blunt and to the point
op, id recommend keeping windows and doors closed so flies can't get it and also try and get the cracks filled in.
Yep thanks for the replies ppl, I'll make a complaint about some stuffs to council + fill in holes.

As for my diet I'm trying to fix it. And I do know how to cook, like I said it's a bad habit.
Yep thanks for the replies ppl, I'll make a complaint about some stuffs to council + fill in holes.

As for my diet I'm trying to fix it. And I do know how to cook, like I said it's a bad habit.

Or ill ask my mum too if I can't make one

Quick Reply

Latest