The Student Room Group

Why do working class people mock the middle class?

Middle class as in people as in the people who are comfortable with money, attend private schools, have successful businesses, millionaires etc)

Why do working class people often openly make fun when they meet them of find out someone is middle class? It jealousy or what? I know there are stereotypes with middle class people being snobby, but they don't even have to be snobby, they could be the most polite people around, and it will still happen because of their way of life.

Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You forgot a bracket - that's why.
Has this personally happened to you?
I don’t ??? It’s best to not generalise.
It could be jealousy though. I aspire to be like them I don’t have time for jealousy
Reply 4
Original post by Nobodyy
Has this personally happened to you?

No, I'm not middle class. It's just a question
Reply 5
Original post by Moonlight rain
I don’t ??? It’s best to not generalise.
It could be jealousy though. I aspire to be like them I don’t have time for jealousy

I'm not saying all working class people do it, but it is obviously working class people that mock them so I'm just asking
Plenty of possible reasons.
Inverse snobbery, envy, negative personal experience of specific individuals or groups.
Just as a joke the same way that some people mock welsh guys and make 'essex girl' & 'sweet home alabama' jokes.
Original post by Anonymous
Middle class as in people as in the people who are comfortable with money, attend private schools, have successful businesses, millionaires etc)

Why do working class people often openly make fun when they meet them of find out someone is middle class? It jealousy or what? I know there are stereotypes with middle class people being snobby, but they don't even have to be snobby, they could be the most polite people around, and it will still happen because of their way of life.

Why?

Because society has told them that their value is related to where they are in the social hierarchy.
Reply 8
Original post by londonmyst
Plenty of possible reasons.
Inverse snobbery, envy, negative personal experience of specific individuals or groups.
Just as a joke the same way that some people mock welsh guys and make 'essex girl' & 'sweet home alabama' jokes.

Yeah I guess so. I've noticed they also get challenged more, so for example if there is a cooking competition (random example) people would be more harsh towards the middle class person or eye up their food more in a judgmental way since they come from a better upbringing
No, I'm not middle class. It's just a question

Yh, I know. I was also just asking a question.

I guess it's just to do with them being uncomfortable with people that they don't tend to hang out with on a daily basis due to the environment that they are in (this could go for both sides).
Original post by Wired_1800
Because society has told them that their value is related to where they are in the social hierarchy.

Yeah that makes sense.
Stereotypes.
Reply 12
i was raised by a working class family and raised in a working class neighbourhood (but not in UK so bear in mind it may be slightly different). people raised working class take great pride in their station as they can say they came from humble beginnings and survived. it’s the same for anyone who’s ever had to work hard for something and didn’t have any privilege to help them achieve it. working class people feel a disconnect to middle class not because of what they have but how it was handed to them. they also may feel their work is not socially appreciated as the middle class so there may be some resentment in that.

i do know a lot of middle class people and all of them are nice and i would never make fun of them for being middle class. altho when i was a kid middle class kids who grew up in different neighbourhoods used to make fun of my neighbourhood for being ‘trashy’ so it’s not like it can’t go both ways.

Why?

Middle clas people don;t end their children to Private schools nor are they millionaires ...
Excuse me while I mull this over with a slice of avocado on toast.

Spoiler

Dude you don’t even seem to know what middle class is. Middle class people work for others, think of doctors and lawyers etc. They are not successful business owners and millionaires as you say usually.
Why?

I mean he’s got the meaning of middle class completely wrong so there’s that. Middle classes usually work for others, think of doctors lawyers etc.
They don’t have their own businesses or are millions as he claimed.
Original post by Wired_1800
Original post by Idrees Khan
I mean he’s got the meaning of middle class completely wrong so there’s that. Middle classes usually work for others, think of doctors lawyers etc.
They don’t have their own businesses or are millions as he claimed.

I don't think he got it wrong. Some Middle class people send their children to private schools and have comfy jobs. Some also treat working class as rubbish.
Why are you anonymous for this?
Original post by 1st superstar
Why are you anonymous for this?

My point exactly.

Spoiler

Original post by Rufus the red
Excuse me while I mull this over with a slice of avocado on toast.

Spoiler

😂😂

Original post by Rufus the red
My point exactly.

Spoiler

No but I know other TSR users who would be happy to join that society (won't tag them though).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending