The Student Room Group

Will exams be cancelled next year? (2021)

What do you guys think? I know nothing's certain but I think it's a 50 50 chance they might :/
I think they won't want to because of all the chaos this year. But if we have another period of lockdown they probably will have to as kids will have missed too much and it will be too unfair for disadvantaged kids. Best thing is to be working hard now in case teachers have to predict grades again. It's really hard for Year 11 and Year 13 not knowing.
I know :frown: I'm in year 13 and my teachers give us tests every week and track out progress in case if they do get cancelled. I just need to know what will happen. But then my teachers said there's nothing certain with the government, they always change their minds like every week. So, I'm not sure how to feel
Original post by ninja24
I know :frown: I'm in year 13 and my teachers give us tests every week and track out progress in case if they do get cancelled. I just need to know what will happen. But then my teachers said there's nothing certain with the government, they always change their minds like every week. So, I'm not sure how to feel

It sounds like your teachers have your backs. And that's great that they are tracking your progress. Try and live week to week rather than extrapolating too far into the future. From Ofqual's post A level debacle statement it sounds like they will be doing everything in their power to make the exams happen. So it's probably wisest to act right now as if they will happen and try not to get sidetracked. Exams probably are still the fairest way to assess students that we have available to us. If schools are closed again then I am sure that it will become clear that a decision will have to be made. But we're not there yet. I am sure you and your cohort can do very well despite all this madness so try not to doubt yourselves. Trust your teachers and try to concentrate on the work.
Original post by ninja24
What do you guys think? I know nothing's certain but I think it's a 50 50 chance they might :/

I think they will make sure exams go ahead rather than another year of ridiculous grade inflation.
I’m not sure ...however if they go ahead as usual I think that’s vastly unfair. I have a sibling who’s in year 11 and already just 3 weeks into the first term they’ve all been sent home to self isolate for 2 weeks because a single person in their year group has tested positive. Of course it’s good precautionary measures are being taken but if this kind of thing is happening nation wide it’s simply unfair to make all students sit a standardised exam when different students have had different periods of teaching.
Original post by anaindiemood
I’m not sure ...however if they go ahead as usual I think that’s vastly unfair. I have a sibling who’s in year 11 and already just 3 weeks into the first term they’ve all been sent home to self isolate for 2 weeks because a single person in their year group has tested positive. Of course it’s good precautionary measures are being taken but if this kind of thing is happening nation wide it’s simply unfair to make all students sit a standardised exam when different students have had different periods of teaching.

I hope they take this into account :/
Original post by ninja24
What do you guys think? I know nothing's certain but I think it's a 50 50 chance they mi

I really hope they are :frown:. I've only been back for 2 weeks and feel so unprepared. I also have no motivation due to uncertainty over exams. My teachers have been giving assessments though, to track our progress
Original post by Random_101
I really hope they are :frown:. I've only been back for 2 weeks and feel so unprepared. I also have no motivation due to uncertainty over exams. My teachers have been giving assessments though, to track our progress

Same here, but apparently we're edging closer to a 2nd lock down so maybe your wishes may come true!
Original post by ninja24
Same here, but apparently we're edging closer to a 2nd lock down so maybe your wishes may come true!

I hope so. between assessments and UCAS, i'm two seconds away from a breakdown

Quick Reply

Latest