The Student Room Group

quit BTEC second year to do A-levels ?

I am currently doing second year of BTEC level Business Studies level 3. I do like the course and the teachers at my sixth form college, but I do not like my class and where the college is based. I didn't make any friends, as I got one friend I just talk to. We don't really get along. I moved from secondary to a different city (London). I personally don't know anyone from here. I am applying to unis next year, as some of them needed 5+ grades in both Maths and English language. I managed to get a 4 in both at secondary. I am still stuck if changing schools is the right time and going somewhere else to do the same subject/ A- levels, also do GCSES along with my subjects or continue and just do GCSES for now. Any advise will be helpful and will really help me.
Original post by Varun0405
I am currently doing second year of BTEC level Business Studies level 3. I do like the course and the teachers at my sixth form college, but I do not like my class and where the college is based. I didn't make any friends, as I got one friend I just talk to. We don't really get along. I moved from secondary to a different city (London). I personally don't know anyone from here. I am applying to unis next year, as some of them needed 5+ grades in both Maths and English language. I managed to get a 4 in both at secondary. I am still stuck if changing schools is the right time and going somewhere else to do the same subject/ A- levels, also do GCSES along with my subjects or continue and just do GCSES for now. Any advise will be helpful and will really help me.

i understand this is 2 years and worth 1 a level. you said currently i.e. its just started..?
i think a year of being depressed for a btec personally is not worth it; however ONLY if you can get onto something better now? i.e. its near end september so if you can the subjects you need gcses/a-levels either all in 1or 2 years - do that.. and go to uni.
this btec and a depressing year (which covid will likely make worse) is not worth but dont just quit and sit home..
now start calling up every place you can think of see if you can start in the next weeks and cover what you missed if any, and be honest and explain - hope that helps.
Reply 2
I do BTEC level 3 which is equivalent to three A- levels. This is the last year of course (yr13) I did miss half of school last year due to covid. This year I have to go in everyday and I hate it especially my surroundings and I have no social life since I’ve moved here like last year. My concern is would it be waste leaving now to do A- levels from the start or just BTEC second year in a different college. I want redo my GCSEs to get into good unis who expect a good GCSEs of 6 in both maths and English. I’m so unsure about my next steps. Thank you so much for the response it was really needed.
Do you know what A levels you want to do?

I was in the same position as you btw.
(edited 3 years ago)
I do BTEC level 3 which is equivalent to three A- levels. This is the last year of course (yr13) I did miss half of school last year due to covid. This year I have to go in everyday and I hate it especially my surroundings and I have no social life since I’ve moved here like last year. My concern is would it be waste leaving now to do A- levels from the start or just BTEC second year in a different college. I want redo my GCSEs to get into good unis who expect a good GCSEs of 6 in both maths and English. I’m so unsure about my next steps. Thank you so much for the response it was really needed.

ah mate if you got 1 year to go for 3 a levels as opposed to starting again esp with GCSE or some combination, I know it's hard- but it'll be mostly online and distanced this year. see it as a sacrifice.. just study, get your laptop, listen to music, go home... and work your ass off for exams. these ppl are end of story after a year - don't make them important in your life, they are not.
Reply 5
Original post by cameroon36

I want to do business a level or economics, it and sociology
Reply 6
Thank you so much for the reply. If you were in my shoes would you continue this year and finish BTEC and redo just GCSES or change and do A- levels and along with GCSEs with two more years. Only to improve your social life environment and I don’t get along with the people at my college at all.
Reply 7

Did you change or continue?
Thank you so much for the reply. If you were in my shoes would you continue this year and finish BTEC and redo just GCSES or change and do A- levels and along with GCSEs with two more years. Only to improve your social life environment and I don’t get along with the people at my college at all.

Realistically only you can decide whether you will be happier elsewhere. In terms of your BTEC nearly every university accepts it. Dependent on the subject you want to take at university many will not require grade 5 GCSEs even the very good ones included Russell Group. It depends how flexible you will be. As a quick example Exeter are looking for DDM with grade 4 in English Language and no mention of Maths for Sociology. If you are looking into Computing, Economics or Psychology often a higher grade is necessary due to the Maths content and most leading universities require grade A at A levels for Economics or Computer Science.
(edited 3 years ago)

It really depends what you want to do. University? Apprenticeship?
You can get into university on a BTEC. Usually, it's only on the subject you studied in college.

I doubt they'll let you do 4 years. Everyone would be 2 years younger than you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What sort of social environment do you want? What sort of friends do you want? You meet far more people in A levels, you will make at least one friend - for definite

You'll have to make these decisions very soon.
Did you change or continue?

I changed

I want to do business a level or economics, it and sociology

You already have a qualification in Business. Only do the A level if you can do better (PP = C)
Reply 10
It really depends what you want to do. University? Apprenticeship?
You can get into university on a BTEC. Usually, it's only on the subject you studied in college.

I doubt they'll let you do 4 years. Everyone would be 2 years younger than you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What sort of social environment do you want? What sort of friends do you want? You meet far more people in A levels, you will make at least one friend - for definite

You'll have to make these decisions very soon.

I changed

You already have a qualification in Business. Only do the A level if you can do better (PP = C)

I’m planning on doing marketing and management various universities are asking for high grades especially the top rankings in the list. Only below top 20 I will get into some. So I am thinking it’s better to continue and finish off BTEC for this year. Maybe do maths and English gcse again so I can get into those top unis

Quick Reply

Latest