The Student Room Group

I want to become a police officer

I still want to go university first however I’m looking to do a degree in English Lang and lit, as it’s my favourite subject out of my three A-levels. I know you can join the police from a degree holder scheme but would this affect my chances of being recruited If my degree isn’t in a crime relate regardless subject?
Arrest your own parents then, isn't that what the filth does?
Reply 2
First off, you might want to re-consider your choice of profession. Being a cop [despite what you see on the telly] is a rough, dirty, thankless job. Your 'betters' take all the bows, you do all the work, and get no thanks for it. I would recommend considering a job with MI-5 or MI-6 instead. The excitement of the 'chase', the thrill of 'figuring it out' - with virtually nobody shooting at you.

Second off, you choice of Eng Lit & etc will be almost impossible to 'sell' when you are "on the street". From my experience, English degrees are "a dime a dozen". A much better 'money maker' - and more enjoyable [IMHO] is something in the STEM area [science technology, engineering, medicine]. Being a student, you may think that 'you can live on air'. Well, when you stop living 6 or 8 to a flat, and want to take up with someone & set up a household (if you haven't already), you will find that it costs an amazing amount of dosh to do so. I graduated with a bachelors in engineering ages ago, and found that money was going out as fast as it was coming in. After 2 yrs, i decided to take an overseas 'tour' for a couple of years to a> make some money, and b> build up my bank account. I was fortunate enough to find a "meals & quarters furnished" assignment, with a decent [35%] overseas & hardship bonus. After about 2.5 years working that assignment, i returned to the US and bought a house with part of the proceeds. That reduced what i would have been paying for a flat locally [~$900] to my house payment [$225]. This left me much more of my paycheck to put into other things - like buying promising looking stock issues.

I really enjoyed my time overseas, and somewhat regret that i didn't go back somewhere else when i had the chance. I was reluctant to do so, as i heard a bunch of 'horror stories' from me mates, about their renting out houses while they went overseas, and returning to find that the tenants had just about demolished the house while they were gone. Several told me that it took nearly all the rent they had made renting the place to repair it back to the condition it had been in when they left. One couple said that they wish that they had just let the house sit empty for the 2 years that they were gone.

Anyway, best of luck... Cheers.
Reply 3
do you even want to be a police officer tho is that the goal? when you go to study English language and lecturer i dont think that it is the profession you sought out to have, i am shocked that just because of a degree in any field you can get a pass into that profession.. as if its a stepping stone of some kind... no negative here towards you btw ! you do you. im applying to police without a degree and came across this chat and just wanted to learn more :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by Rabbit2
First off, you might want to re-consider your choice of profession. Being a cop [despite what you see on the telly] is a rough, dirty, thankless job. Your 'betters' take all the bows, you do all the work, and get no thanks for it. I would recommend considering a job with MI-5 or MI-6 instead. The excitement of the 'chase', the thrill of 'figuring it out' - with virtually nobody shooting at you.

Second off, you choice of Eng Lit & etc will be almost impossible to 'sell' when you are "on the street". From my experience, English degrees are "a dime a dozen". A much better 'money maker' - and more enjoyable [IMHO] is something in the STEM area [science technology, engineering, medicine]. Being a student, you may think that 'you can live on air'. Well, when you stop living 6 or 8 to a flat, and want to take up with someone & set up a household (if you haven't already), you will find that it costs an amazing amount of dosh to do so. I graduated with a bachelors in engineering ages ago, and found that money was going out as fast as it was coming in. After 2 yrs, i decided to take an overseas 'tour' for a couple of years to a> make some money, and b> build up my bank account. I was fortunate enough to find a "meals & quarters furnished" assignment, with a decent [35%] overseas & hardship bonus. After about 2.5 years working that assignment, i returned to the US and bought a house with part of the proceeds. That reduced what i would have been paying for a flat locally [~$900] to my house payment [$225]. This left me much more of my paycheck to put into other things - like buying promising looking stock issues.

I really enjoyed my time overseas, and somewhat regret that i didn't go back somewhere else when i had the chance. I was reluctant to do so, as i heard a bunch of 'horror stories' from me mates, about their renting out houses while they went overseas, and returning to find that the tenants had just about demolished the house while they were gone. Several told me that it took nearly all the rent they had made renting the place to repair it back to the condition it had been in when they left. One couple said that they wish that they had just let the house sit empty for the 2 years that they were gone.

Anyway, best of luck... Cheers.

why do you think they actually want someone shooting at them ?
Reply 5
Original post by jennb93
why do you think they actually want someone shooting at them ?

Well, if you READ my post, you'll see that i pointed out that with "5" or "6" they would have the upside, WITHOUT [what i saw as] the downside (being shot at). At least, whilest doing that sort of a job, i was never shot at [to my knowledge anyway]. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending