The Student Room Group

GCSE grades affecting acceptance

Do GCSE grades directly affect your likelihood of getting into university, even though my final IB results exceed what they require?
Most of the uni's I am planning to apply to require a B and I got a C (but I also meet their IB Maths grade requirement)...
Reply 1
The uni that i applied to required a B in maths but i got a C & they offered me an unconditional place based on my a level predictions.

Obviously you would have needed to pass the required GCSEs, especially maths english possibly ict and a science, depending on what you’re applying for. English and Maths are essential.

Don’t let it bother you. They will focus more on the a levels and personal statement and in the rare occasion when they are over subscribed they will look at GCSEs as a last resort. Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by rach0
The uni that i applied to required a B in maths but i got a C & they offered me an unconditional place based on my a level predictions.

Obviously you would have needed to pass the required GCSEs, especially maths english possibly ict and a science, depending on what you’re applying for. English and Maths are essential.

Don’t let it bother you. They will focus more on the a levels and personal statement and in the rare occasion when they are over subscribed they will look at GCSEs as a last resort. Good luck

Thank you so much! This really helped!
I did pass all my GCSE subjects, but I'm doing the IB instead of A levels, do you think this will cause any effects?
Reply 3
I don’t know enough about the IB. In my case, i did Level 3 City and Guilds and did work placements which i wrote about in my personal statement. I got offered all 5 uni places. So it is possible to get into uni without a levels. Have a look on ucas and the unis websites. Find unis that interest you and write down their requirements. If you are unsure, send them a quick email about the IB. i’m sure many people will be asking about it. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending