The Student Room Group

How many times did you fail your car theory test?

I read the Highway Code book a couple of times a while ago the whole way through but then I stuck to the Theory Test App mock questions. I did one mock test a day and passed with 50/50 most of the time. I went in for my theory test and failed 4 TIMES. I never got questions I revised for? I passed with 44/50 the other day 🤪🤪🤪
The thing is... I’ve done about 50 hours driving lessons and I’m better at practical stuff than theory stuff. I’d like to think I’ll pass my driving test first/second time.
Anyone else the same?

Scroll to see replies

I passed with 49/50 first time
I’m hoping to do mine soon
Congrats on passing btw
Any apps you used? I’m torn between 2 either the official DVSA one or the driving theory test 4:1 one
Any advice?
Passed with 50/50 first time with a couple of tests and a bit of revision in the few days before
Original post by Paige26xx
I read the Highway Code book a couple of times a while ago the whole way through but then I stuck to the Theory Test App mock questions. I did one mock test a day and passed with 50/50 most of the time. I went in for my theory test and failed 4 TIMES. I never got questions I revised for? I passed with 44/50 the other day 🤪🤪🤪
The thing is... I’ve done about 50 hours driving lessons and I’m better at practical stuff than theory stuff. I’d like to think I’ll pass my driving test first/second time.
Anyone else the same?

I passed 3rd time
Reply 5
Passed it 1st time that was back in the 70's.
(edited 3 years ago)
Passed it first time and it took me 25 minutes..
Reply 7
Original post by 7xm2
Passed it first time and it took me 25 minutes..

Wow I must be dumb then 😂🥴 I found it hard remembering a lot of it in large chunks I should of done bits at a time instead of consuming myself with them all at once
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous.22
Congrats on passing btw
Any apps you used? I’m torn between 2 either the official DVSA one or the driving theory test 4:1 one
Any advice?

I had the theory 4 in 1 app and it was laid out very similar to the actual test and I kept passing on this app. I would really recommend reading the High way code bits at a time too. I should of done this more in smaller chunks and maybe I would of passed sooner. Good luck. Even if you fail, just revise harder and go in again. I have a busy life of being a working mum so it was a challenge but I got there so if I can, you can
Reply 9
I had the theory 4 in 1 app and it was laid out very similar to the actual test and I kept passing on this app. I would really recommend reading the High way code bits at a time too. I should of done this more in smaller chunks and maybe I would of passed sooner. Good luck. Even if you fail, just revise harder and go in again. I have a busy life of being a working mum so it was a challenge but I got there so if I can, you can

Oh and the hazard perception can be quite tricky. Don’t just click when you see a developing hazard, I find I had to click, for example, if you go past a lower speed limit, you click then click again once passed as you’ve slowed down... you get me? Just practise both on the app and read the books. You’ll have a better understanding.
Original post by Anonymous.22
Congrats on passing btw
Any advice?

The official DVSA definitely!! 5/5
i failed theory 6 times due to a hyperactive trigger finger in hazards perception (otherwise highwaycode stuff was 49/50 or 50/50 all the time).

the actual driving test itself i had to redo twices (1 due to adverse conditions, the other had a handbrake and clutch pedal come off whilst driving and had to drive with that crap - tl;dr DO NOT USE RELATIVES AS DRIVING INSTRUCTORS - use companies like red instead.
(edited 3 years ago)
I passed 1st time with every question correct 😁😁...... However I failed the practical test twice :cry:
Reply 13
Original post by lazerbeem
I passed 1st time with every question correct 😁😁...... However I failed the practical test twice :cry:

Hopefully it doesn’t take me as long to pass my practical test 😂😂 I’m still going to go over my High way code book in small chunks to keep my mind refreshed
I passed first time. If the questions on your practice material aren't helping then try revising from somewhere else, it sounds like you may be learning the wrong stuff. I think I used one of the old AA practice books which had all the questions which came up.
Wow I must be dumb then 😂🥴 I found it hard remembering a lot of it in large chunks I should of done bits at a time instead of consuming myself with them all at once

nah is not that i was just used to well the questions as i practised for it after i done my gcse so i had 6 months of practise and i worked out it was self explanatory
Reply 16
Original post by Kogomogo
I passed first time. If the questions on your practice material aren't helping then try revising from somewhere else, it sounds like you may be learning the wrong stuff. I think I used one of the old AA practice books which had all the questions which came up.

My problem was the way I was revising. I needed to do it bits at a time rather than trying to consume too much information. I was booking tests when I wasn’t ready. Anyway I’ve passed now finally.
thankfully passed first time with 50/50.

It's fine as long as you revise
I've never taken it. I have had a few driving lessons, but they are quite expensive. I'm not a multi-millionaire, so I don't have many. It seems that whenever I do have a lesson, I always clash with the instructor.
Reply 19
Original post by Berserk_William
I've never taken it. I have had a few driving lessons, but they are quite expensive. I'm not a multi-millionaire, so I don't have many. It seems that whenever I do have a lesson, I always clash with the instructor.

You’ll get there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending