The Student Room Group

How to make friends on my Masters degree in Covid???

Hi so i’m starting my masters degree this year and I don’t know anyone on my course, there doesn’t seem to be a course GC either. There won’t be any welcome events so there are no opportunities to meet anyone. Also societies at my university are mainly just first years from a UG so I won’t really meet anyone there.

It seems impossible to make friends on my masters degree this year, anybody got any ideas on how I can make friends?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi so i’m starting my masters degree this year and I don’t know anyone on my course, there doesn’t seem to be a course GC either. There won’t be any welcome events so there are no opportunities to meet anyone. Also societies at my university are mainly just first years from a UG so I won’t really meet anyone there.

It seems impossible to make friends on my masters degree this year, anybody got any ideas on how I can make friends?

Hi there!

I am President of the Music Society at the Uni of Sheffield this year and we do have masters students in the society so it might be worth finding the society facebook page/messaging the President of your course society to see if there are other masters students in the society. Its worth a try and I'm sure that you will make friends within the society anyway even if they're not necessarily masters students!

Hope this helps!

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi there!

I am President of the Music Society at the Uni of Sheffield this year and we do have masters students in the society so it might be worth finding the society facebook page/messaging the President of your course society to see if there are other masters students in the society. Its worth a try and I'm sure that you will make friends within the society anyway even if they're not necessarily masters students!

Hope this helps!

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus

If just got an email that we won’t be on campus for an educational purposes. Also most societies have are being done online, which imo makes meeting people feel awkward.
Original post by Anonymous

Making friends is definitely going to be different this year but don't dismiss the societies at your university - they might have a lot of undergraduate members but if you have a shared interest, the age gap really doesn't matter so much.

When I started my PhD (at the ripe old age of 34), I joined the roleplaying and board game society (KURA) at Keele. All of my D&D group are undergraduates but we all have a shared love of D&D, plus shared experiences as Keele students, so the age gap really hasn't been a barrier to forming friendships.

You'll probably be surprised by how many PG students do attend society socials and events - whilst freshers week events are often targeted at attracting incoming undergraduates, most societies have a very diverse membership from across the university. At KURA board or card gaming nights, we get a good mix of ages as well as a mix of undergrads and postgrads - we just all have a shared loving of tabletop gaming!

That said, it's definitely worth seeing if there are any postgraduate socials taking place during freshers week that will help you meet others in the postgraduate community. At Keele we have a dedicated postgraduate students union but most universities will have a PG Officer so it's worth contacting them if you're not sure what events are taking place. Chances are that you'll also meet people during course/faculty induction sessions.

With the move to online learning, it's important to maximise the chances for making connections so, if one doesn't already exist, why not suggest creating a WhatsApp group during your course induction, or having a weekly online coffee morning? A lot of students will be worried about making friends this year and will welcome the chance to have a space to chat with others.

Hope that helps!

Amy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending