The Student Room Group

What if Autumn Exams are Cancelled?

I keep thinking that they will be cancelled due to the 2nd wave coming. Idk why but I feel as if it might even be a very last minute thing.

Plus what are you suppose to do if your centre has to close due to a positive case. It doesn't make sense to me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It’s possible to fit the autumn exams before possible closure of schools

If someone has corona at school or any public places like libraries it will be closed for 2 weeks I believe so you’ll have to stay at home for 2 weeks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Yh so what happens if someone tests positive during the start of the exam period or like a member of staff even.

If the venue has to close for 2 weeks then how are some people suppose to sit there exams. Thats what I mean when I say its unclear.
Original post by Unless
I keep thinking that they will be cancelled due to the 2nd wave coming. Idk why but I feel as if it might even be a very last minute thing.

Plus what are you suppose to do if your centre has to close due to a positive case. It doesn't make sense to me.

I dont think they will be, exam centres have now had months to prepare for this and their should be substantially less people in the hall so keeping large distances + facemasks + sanitisers & antibac should allow them to go ahead. There will probably just be stricter measures on entering and exiting the halls to keep it covid safe.

--
What if they are cancelled.
Id imagine the government would mix these students into the 2021 exam schedule in the summer but tell uni's & UCAS it still counts as a first sitting. (just a guess tho).
Reply 4
Original post by Unless
Yh so what happens if someone tests positive during the start of the exam period or like a member of staff even.

If the venue has to close for 2 weeks then how are some people suppose to sit there exams. Thats what I mean when I say its unclear.

Yh I totally agree with you in the last paragraph-it’s very unclear

This attachment below gives you an idea of how the contingency plan (availability of students during exam periods) will work so in a sense it links with how the circumstances will differ with corona, which I have already mentioned

7F547334-14AC-4BF1-95C5-A994FA2AFFC7.jpg.jpeg
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
I dont think they will be, exam centres have now had months to prepare for this and their should be substantially less people in the hall so keeping large distances + facemasks + sanitisers & antibac should allow them to go ahead. There will probably just be stricter measures on entering and exiting the halls to keep it covid safe.

--
What if they are cancelled.
Id imagine the government would mix these students into the 2021 exam schedule in the summer but tell uni's & UCAS it still counts as a first sitting. (just a guess tho).

Yhh thats true but Idk, its over a 3 week period. For example say if you take half your exams and then your venue closes. Do they just use what they have with the exams you already taken?

Maybe I am thinking to abstractly and less realistically. However I see these situations occurring. I feel like they planned it in a way where no one will get sick and no venues will close.

Plus you're right they might just move it to next year and tell uni's and UCAS. However there is even doubt that it will happen next year as well.
Reply 6
Original post by jae jae
Yh I totally agree with you in the last paragraph-it’s very unclear

This attachment below gives you an idea of how the contingency plan (availability of students during exam periods) will work so in a sense it links with how the circumstances will differ with corona, which I have already mentioned

7F547334-14AC-4BF1-95C5-A994FA2AFFC7.jpg.jpeg

I don't fully understand? So does it mean that up till 29th June 2021, if there is not much availability of students then they won't proceed to do exams?

So it reflects how the course of Autumn Exams will flow?
Original post by Unless
Yhh thats true but Idk, its over a 3 week period. For example say if you take half your exams and then your venue closes. Do they just use what they have with the exams you already taken?

Maybe I am thinking to abstractly and less realistically. However I see these situations occurring. I feel like they planned it in a way where no one will get sick and no venues will close.

Plus you're right they might just move it to next year and tell uni's and UCAS. However there is even doubt that it will happen next year as well.

I dont know.
Ive no idea what Ofqual have planned, but hopefully they have contingency measures.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
I dont know.
Ive no idea what Ofqual have planned, but hopefully they have contingency measures.

Yhh thats what worries me, the uncertainty
Original post by Unless
Yhh thats what worries me, the uncertainty

Just focus on exams, they are closing in you've been working on A-levels for over 2 years now.

If the situation changes and exams get cancelled thats when you should figure it out, but they are so close id just focus on revision.
I dont think they will be. If it got bad schools could close, but exams can still go ahead, they will just be socially distancerd.
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
Just focus on exams, they are closing in you've been working on A-levels for over 2 years now.

If the situation changes and exams get cancelled thats when you should figure it out, but they are so close id just focus on revision.

Lol well for me 3 years but yhh youre right, thank you. Hmm maybe I should stress about it later I guess, if it does arise.

Original post by 999tigger
I dont think they will be. If it got bad schools could close, but exams can still go ahead, they will just be socially distancerd.

That does make sense, with the whole 'circuit break' idea although Idk I can't shake the feeling still.
Original post by Unless
I don't fully understand? So does it mean that up till 29th June 2021, if there is not much availability of students then they won't proceed to do exams?

So it reflects how the course of Autumn Exams will flow?

Answer for paragraph 1:
-> the contingency plan is actually for major local or national disruption.. where we are at with corona we are gradually witnessing the 2nd wave as cases are rising. Hopefully we get to do autumn exams before anything severe happens. But I’m not sure what will happen if there is not much availability of students throughout the exam period

And for the last question:
Yh and how we’re at with corona (cases/deaths) but I DEFINITELY doubt we won’t sit autumn exams
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Unless
Lol well for me 3 years but yhh youre right, thank you. Hmm maybe I should stress about it later I guess, if it does arise.

That does make sense, with the whole 'circuit break' idea although Idk I can't shake the feeling still.

The next solution after the exams would be shortened exams or more likely delayed ones.
Calculated grades turned into a disaster when they decided to do predicted grades which gave everyone a ridiculously generous chance of getting the best grades since records began. Doubt they wnat to repeat that grade giveaway again.
Do you think the grade boundaries will be lower this year. Especially because some topic weren’t fully covered for some schools?
Original post by studybuddy1302
Do you think the grade boundaries will be lower this year. Especially because some topic weren’t fully covered for some schools?

I’m in year 11 and I think it depends on overall grades for particular subjects..they made it up to us by shortening content for some subjects but I personally think they didn’t do enough for us :/
Reply 16
Original post by jae jae
Answer for paragraph 1:
-> the contingency plan is actually for major local or national disruption.. where we are at with corona we are gradually witnessing the 2nd wave as cases are rising. Hopefully we get to do autumn exams before anything severe happens. But I’m not sure what will happen if there is not much availability of students throughout the exam period

And for the last question:
Yh and how we’re at with corona (cases/deaths) but I DEFINITELY doubt we won’t sit autumn exams

Ok I see what you mean and it does make sense. The cases and death ratio, firstly its not the same as it was in March so there is a difference and it may take awhile for cases to get as severe again, so it probably will be say after October before anything major may be considered.

Although I think this applies to the majority. Some reason I see really rare scenarios occuring where some people just won't be able to sit them and who's to say that wouldn't be me or you. (Touch wood of course)
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
The next solution after the exams would be shortened exams or more likely delayed ones.
Calculated grades turned into a disaster when they decided to do predicted grades which gave everyone a ridiculously generous chance of getting the best grades since records began. Doubt they wnat to repeat that grade giveaway again.

Could they do shortened exams? So say if you did 2/3 of them and your centre had to closed. Would that be possible/realistic?

Yhh CAG, in my opinion, is one of the most chaotic things to happen to the education system. Plus predicted grades were not that fair as well. That whole cohort was just a bit messy unfortunately.
Original post by Unless
Could they do shortened exams? So say if you did 2/3 of them and your centre had to closed. Would that be possible/realistic?

Yhh CAG, in my opinion, is one of the most chaotic things to happen to the education system. Plus predicted grades were not that fair as well. That whole cohort was just a bit messy unfortunately.

If they had to plus the other way is just to alter the grade boundaries.
Reply 19
Look I just saw this

Quick Reply

Latest