The Student Room Group

Med/bio electives

hi, basically in my school we do electives once a week in year twelve. I want to apply for either bio or med at a top uni and the aim is that the elective will contribute to my personal statement etc. The two options I'm currently trying to decide from are the following:

1. scientific writing. Essentially I'll gain the skills to write science based essays and will enter the Newnham essay competition.
pros: newnham essay contest, skills
cons: if I don't succeed in the contest (which, lets face it, obviously few people win), ill have quite little to show for my time.

2. scientific research. (as written by the teacher in charge:smile: 'There will be some opportunities for practical work and further development of a medical device created by students in the year above, ably supported by some year 13s, who were involved with creating it last year. we are also aiming to provide opportunities for those hoping to get into journalism We’d love to share the story of Artios (the name originally given to the product) with the rest of the scientific community. You will have the chance to write articles for peer-reviewed international journals and to gain experience writing blog-posts and interviewing academics.'essentially, there will be some researching, practical work, and possible publication.
cons: its a larger group so idk if any opportunities ie publication would be limited to just a few students?

please let me know which elective you think would give me the best advantage. Thanks in advance xx
hi, thanks for your response. my school calls them 'top unis', it's not how I think of them but I honestly just thought that was a phrase used everywhere to mean oxbridge/london unis since that is how my school refers to them every chance possible ie we literally have a 'top uni programme'.
hi, thanks for your response. my school calls them 'top unis', it's not how I think of them but I honestly just thought that was a phrase used everywhere to mean oxbridge/london unis since that is how my school refers to them every chance possible ie we literally have a 'top uni programme'.

Quick Reply

Latest