The Student Room Group

Law with German Law

Hi there,
I am just in the process of considering what to do at Uni next year (starting September 2021) and have been told that Law with German Law is a good choice if you know German (which I do). Has anyone done this course? The only thing that puts me off is if you are simply comparing German Law with English Law the whole time as it sounds very boring.

Cheers
I'm not a Law student but as far as I know Law with German Law is just Law with German language. You'll study the standard array of Law modules with some German language ones thrown in and you'll also spend your third year abroad in a German speaking country. Take a look at the specific modules you'll be studying and you should get a better idea of what to expect on the course.
Reply 2
Original post by tiktoksensation
I'm not a Law student but as far as I know Law with German Law is just Law with German language. You'll study the standard array of Law modules with some German language ones thrown in and you'll also spend your third year abroad in a German speaking country. Take a look at the specific modules you'll be studying and you should get a better idea of what to expect on the course.

Thank you for the help however there are in fact separate degree options if you either want to do "Law with German" or "Law with German Law". They are both options you can pick. Law with German law also has a year abroad in the third year, however all the universities that I have looked at, in "Law with German Law" it is compulsory to spend the year abroad studying in a German University rather than having the freedom of being able to decide what you want to spend the year doing
If you do 'Law with German' you can do German Law units during your Year Abroad.
Or you can do a straight 'LLB Law with Study Abroad', and go to a German Uni.
This is actually a better option than 'with German'. You get to do ALL the Law course (ie. without giving up half your classtime to German units) and you get the overseas experience/German Law.

THe KCL course page explains 'Law with German Law' and exactly what it involves : https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/e35ff5c1-7869-e23a-11dc-e7738ade7bb1
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TheMassiveC
Thank you for the help however there are in fact separate degree options if you either want to do "Law with German" or "Law with German Law". They are both options you can pick. Law with German law also has a year abroad in the third year, however all the universities that I have looked at, in "Law with German Law" it is compulsory to spend the year abroad studying in a German University rather than having the freedom of being able to decide what you want to spend the year doing

Which universities are you interested in? I didn't realise there was a difference but I see now that unis pair the legal aspect with the language aspect - you'll cover the standard law curriculum and then you'll have specific German language/law modules combined. As for the year abroad, if you want to do Law with German Law then it's a given that you would need to spend some time studying at a German university as they're the experts in German law. If this isn't something you want to do then you might be better doing straight Law as you'd have more options regarding where you'd like to go.
And about comparing English law with German law, you might draw similarities occasionally but that's not what the course is about. The UK and Germany have very different legal systems. The UK has a common law system and Germany has a civil law system.
Reply 7
True yes thank you everyone for the replies is was very helpful!!
Original post by TheMassiveC
Hi there,
I am just in the process of considering what to do at Uni next year (starting September 2021) and have been told that Law with German Law is a good choice if you know German (which I do). Has anyone done this course? The only thing that puts me off is if you are simply comparing German Law with English Law the whole time as it sounds very boring.

Cheers

hallo wie geht es dir? this module is actually amazing if u wish to pursue an international career abroad or even in UK.. the university's modules vary from each uni to another and i dont think its solely comparing the 2 different laws. However, as i was looking too i'd advice you to take this LLB LAW with a year abroad in germany for instance. I know in bristol its an interesting course as my friend told me... but if u are willing to continue to work in the UK id say go for pure LAW LLB and take a year abroad in Germany

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending