The Student Room Group

What does it mean if someone has ‘ she/ her’ in their bio?

I’ve just seen someone I know from uni has put this in her bio. I mean it’s blindingly obvious she is a girl- she isn’t a transsexual either so I’m confused as to why she needs to clarify this. I’ve seen other people do it as well...just wondering what it’s about?

Also my parents always told me it’s rude to refer to people as her’ or she’ and you should use their name instead ie Ella or Mum etc

Scroll to see replies

Preferred pronouns.
It is also often done in support of transgender people by cisgendered people (those who identify with what they were born with). If it was only people who were transgender who felt like they had to put their pronouns in their bio, then their identity would be obvious. Therefore anyone can do it, and it is helpful online anyway when people may not be able to tell from your name your gender.
Reply 3
bio on where? i’m a university student but i don’t have a bio.

it’s weird for someone to be talking about themselves in the third person so i’m trying to envision this bio. lol sorry if it’s a dumb question :smile:
Reply 4
Not much to it, its just someone's pronouns. Even if they may be 'obvious' some people just want to :dontknow:
(Original post by Joleee)

it’s weird for someone to be talking about themselves in the third person so i’m trying to envision this bio. lol sorry if it’s a dumb question :smile:

I believe the OP means social media bios.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Tbh OP - I don't know either.
Reply 6
Original post by Joleee

Bio on their insta
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
Preferred pronouns.

Kind of get it but also kind of don’t ( without sounding narrow minded) this girl‘a name is Charlotte and she’s very feminine looking so I’d be shocked if anyone referred to her as he/ him’...
Original post by Anonymous
Kind of get it but also kind of don’t ( without sounding narrow minded) this girl‘a name is Charlotte and she’s very feminine looking so I’d be shocked if anyone referred to her as he/ him’...

It’s a show of support for transgender people :smile: https://prospect.org.uk/news/why-we-should-all-start-using-pronouns/
ITS THE GIF GUY

I’ve just seen someone I know from uni has put this in her bio. I mean it’s blindingly obvious she is a girl- she isn’t a transsexual either so I’m confused as to why she needs to clarify this. I’ve seen other people do it as well...just wondering what it’s about?

Also my parents always told me it’s rude to refer to people as her’ or she’ and you should use their name instead ie Ella or Mum etc

Because everyone wants to be chic and that's a way of being chic.

I know a Charlotte who's preferred pronouns are they/them, so even if someone has a girl's name and looks feminine, they might prefer to be referred to by different pronouns
Reply 11
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Not much to it, its just someone's pronouns. Even if they may be 'obvious' some people just want to :dontknow:

I believe the OP means social media bios.

Bio on their insta

oh ok thank you. :smile: i don’t do social media at all; thought maybe it was a bio for a student society or a bio on blackboard chat (if there is such a thing idk).

i have never read an Instagram bio so don’t know what it’s supposed to read like, but i wouldn’t assume there was any deep meaning behind it, unless on a bio page they ask you for your pronoun; still most women use ‘she’ by default. but yeah, still think it’s weird to talk about yourself third person like that and sounds poorly written.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's simply making things easy and simple for others and to avoid anyone risking offence with misgendering - even with someone who blatantly presents as one gender, it's still a useful thing to do.
It should only be used for by trans people but whatever
(edited 3 years ago)

Probably to show they support LGBTQ people without actually being LGBTQ? Idk why they would do that though tbh.
Original post by Moonlight rain
It should only be used for by trans people but whatever

I think I agree here
I think I agree here

The idea is to make it more normalised, so those who are trans don't feel so alienated by having to explain their pronouns - if everyone, including cis people, already stated their own pronouns, they'd be less confusion and focus on pronouns in general. It would basically just be more normal rather than assuming someone's gender.
It could mean they are in a relationship so they dont want people to dm them.
it means they're a girl
its trendy

Latest

Trending

Trending